Is it okay to lie about how someone looks?

I mean, I see on here, On Rate me questions, And, Don't take this the wrong way, But, People getting MASSIVELY overated. And, I realise everyone has different views on people on such (I mean, i can't say much, look at me xD), But, Like, People, Who aren't attractive. And, People comment saying they are 9/10 and shit. (Often its the same people who do it again and again).

I mean, I see why they are doing it, Because they don't want to hurt their feelings and stuff, I get it, Like, People have done it to me to (But its obvious when they do).

My point is though, Surely is Instilling false hope and lying to someone, Not equally as bad as just telling them the truth? Tbh, I personally would rather be told the cold hard truth then some hopeful lie, But, Would some people actually prefer to be lied to?

~Just curious ;)

Most Helpful Girl

• You're right.
    I have noticed this too.
    I always tell the truth but phrase it in a way where it doesn't seem as if I am coming down on the person.
    Your everyday 5 would be rated a 9/10 on gag.

• Exactly, I mean, I would never say anything insulting to anyone, Im not for that, But, I don't get how someone can blatantly lie about someone elses appearance, And watch them accept it as fact. Seems like its doing more harm then good :/.

• I agree with you 100 percent.

What Girls Said 8

• I say my honest opinion, but I don't like actual rating with grades. Either I tell people they look fine, when I don't notice anything wrong with them, or I tell them what they could change, in my opinion. I don't like overly praising someone when it's not true, I don't like calling random people sexy, but on the other hand, I don't wanna offend or dissapoint people by being rude to them, so I don't rate, I just offer constructive criticism

• I agree with you, it's better to tell the truth than to lie. This is why I say my opinion just when the persone looks good, so the rating is good. 😂

• i noticed this too... but i give my honest opinion.. always.. and if i think that my opinions owuld hurt the person.. then i simply dont answer..

• Lol I usually don't rate people with a number. I tell them their good qualities and tell them how they can improve. Numbers don't describe people as well as words do... But what was totally annoying was when I asked people how I look, they said pretty, cute, blah blah blah... And didn't give me advice! It kinda annoyed me... I mean come on people, I'm pretty sure we all passed eigth grade. You can give me a better description than just "pretty". xD

• They don't prefee to be lied to. Moee loke they except the lie even though deep down they know it's probably not true. Or theu don't realize they're being lied to an except it because it makes them feel good. (Ego boost! )

• Exactly dude!.
      Like, I put a rate me thing on here a while back, And, Ya know, Most people were putting me at like 5/10, Which i agreed with, But some people were saying like 8/10 So, I knew they were just lying to try and make me feel better, But, I realise they're doing it, I would just feel sad for people who don't realise theyre being lied to like that. :/.
      But yea, I agree with ya matey! :)

• Yeah, It always sucks when you see people kissing their askers ass for MHO,
      MHO is used so badly, It is not the Most Helpful Opinion, its the opinion that basically told the asker what he/she wanted to hear xD

• Yep, lol. You're telling the asker basically what they already know deep down.

• I definitely would want to be told the truth. I saw this really really unattractive girl post a rate me the other day and people were rating her like 10/10 like wtf lol

• I rather not. And I give decent rates so my mind is clear of guilt.

• I'd rather have the truth. If you don't like how I look then that's your loss not mine.

What Guys Said 9

• I personally feel you are dealing with peoples feelings so I gave up rating and give the most positive assessment I can.

• There is a difference between honesty and cruelty. You can be honest and not cruel. Think carefully upon that concept.

"Only the weak are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong"... Leo Buscaglia

• As i said on another opinion
      ~''Exactly, I mean, I would never say anything insulting to anyone, Im not for that, But, I don't get how someone can blatantly lie about someone elses appearance, And watch them accept it as fact. Seems like its doing more harm then good.''

• I don't agree. I think most are pretty fair. With the younger ones, they always tell them they are cute. Maybe they are. Why burst their bubble. They aren't even close to what they will look like as adults. With the older people, they are rated higher than I generally would, but you can get the idea from the posts. A girl who is okay but not gorgeous isn't told she is gorgeous. She just isn't called ugly. And to be honest, there really is someone for everyone. Perhaps those guys really liked the woman.
      I have seen a lot of feedback for the fat ones that tells them to lose weight. And the really drop dead gorgeous ones are told that. I think the girls get the idea.

Now, if you want truth... have a woman post the man's photo and ask for opinions... then you get some bluntness...

• Mhmm, I hear ya on that one matey ;/

• I agree with you.

If your friend wants to apply for some singing show on tv (like The X Factor or something), but she can't sing, would you rather tell her she is good at singing so that she can go on tv and made a fool of herself or would you be honest and stop her from embarrassing herself in front of the whole nation? Seems a no-brainer to me.

Telling someone ugly that they are beautiful will only steer them in the direction of disappointment and frustration.

• Yeah, trying to be nice about ratings is retarded. People wanna know if they're ugly or hot. That's what they're asking. So we should be as honest as possible... the people who wanted a rating knew what they'd get into.

• better be brutally honest. But if the vast majority of the assessments you get coincides, then you can be pretty certain they're being honest with you.

I began asking such questions because I hated the way I used to look.

• I only got above-average looking as a general feedback.

• If I go below the rate of 7, I go anon, but I won't lie that "oh my you are so attractive I'd lick your face off" and stuff if I wouldn't. If it's really that bad, I do rather just not comment, though. It depends on circumstance.

• i'd compliment his/her good features only then

• I feel like lying just makes things worse. If you think about it, the people posting these questions already have an idea of where they rate. So it's pretty obvious who's lying and who isn't.

Then again "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", so maybe they are telling the truth lol. Personally I always try to tell the truth, but not in a disrespectful way, hopefully this makes some sense. :p

• yea i have noticed that too , its very weird