Is intelligence genetic?

I've heard some people say it is and others say it isn't. What are your thoughts? Please explain.

• Intelligence IS genetic
  • Intelligence ISN'T genetic
  • Results/I'm not sure
Anyone else?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel like if it were genetic to the point of mattering, I'd be a math queen. Because my grandma and dad are both fantastic at anything to do with math. And my sister and I are total shit.

• Fair point, I feel the same. Everyone in my family (including extended family) are really good at English , History or Art, but I've always been better at Science and Maths

• Genetics doesn't mean every gene is passed down to you lol

If that was the case you'd look exactly like your parents... combined, and so would your siblings

What Guys Said 24

• in my opinion, lower and higher limits of IQ are genetically determined: a child is born with a potential minimum and maximum IQ. Whether it ends nearer to maximum or to minimum IQ depends on environment and education.
    Badly fed and neglected children will probably end at their inherited minimum IQ.
    Well fed, well cared for children with good education will more likely approach their inherited maximum IQ.
    Then getting ill at a certain moment of youth can influence it.
    Meeting some persons who transfer knowledge too can influence it.
    Too many factors to preview future IQ thus.
    Too many factors to generalize of course.

• The capability for intelligence is genetic; but one needs knowledge to make use of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMdE3EsOafY

• Studies show that intelligence relies on genetic factors, but that does not limit one's ability to achieve intel through hard work and dedication.

It would just allow the gifted to take on skills much more easier than others.

• Intelligence is up to 85% hereditable. (On average, there are always exceptions)
    The other 15 % are made up of environment factors like social background, nutrition, up bringing to mention 3 crucial ones.
    75% of one's intelligence are allegedly inherited from one's mom which has something to do with her egg cell. (Again this is not a definite number). During pregnancy, the testosterone level plays a big role in the development of the brain : High amounts of this hormone cause above average intelligence for both genders as embryos. ( Sience hasn't found out yet to which extent exactly testosterone accounts for an infant's intelligence)
    If neglected for example and not spoken to, a child will develop hardly any verbal intelligence, it'll also acquire language much more slowly than usual. Healthy proteins as found in meat and fish support the brain's development.
    School is also believed to be a great factor : It trains the brain, it doesn't make it smarter, but would improve IQ scores on IQ tests , so it's no surprise if a test taker's IQ has dropped for 10 points after a summer break.

• Well, my father's quite inteligent, but I think my mother gave me almost all her intelligence, because she haven't saved much for herself ahah
    I think it can be genetic but it also depends on what were you up to when you were a kid or teenager. I believe your intelligence can be trained when you're still young... solving problems, playing games, sleeping well. That's how a became mensa ;) but I'm portuguese, so my English may not sound that good

• Part nature, part nurturing. Intelligent parrnts often have intelligent offspring, because genetically you can have a natural threshold and faster learning ability. However, this is worthless without accessible knowledge, so intelligent potential can only reach intelligence once the children start learning, which is why they are educated.

TL;DR Intelligence is genetic by determining how intelligent you can become and your natural abilities with learning and decision making, but what really matters is the education you receive.

• I like how your TLDR is almost as long as your original comment haha

• Intelligence itself is largely genetic but if the genetical trait can be expressed or will it be hidden and going to the grave with the person depends on if the person discover his/her genetic gift.

• I think intelligence varies person to person, like certain skills and traits can vary within a family. Like my brothers and I are all pretty smart, but in certain areas. My younger brother is very good with history and art, he is a good drawer, but his weaker areas are math and writing. My other brother, although Autistic, is actually good with identifying people (so we have him when looking for people in a crowd) and can recall things you forgot existed. I'm very good at writing and English , but like my brother I'm bad at math.

So I think you can determine a degree of intelligence, but it varies in certain areas. Like the kids might be smart, but in different areas and skill sets.

• To a point yes. The ability to process memorize and conceptualize material does have some genetic levels to it.

But hard work can trump this.

• Nope, Intelligence is not genetic, my little niece who will age 14
    makes the honor roll all year around in school and when my
    sister and me was in school we never made no honor roll
    we were D to C average... My nieces dad is no intelligent at all
    my mother i think made good grades in school but not sure so
    who knows..

• I don't believe it's necessarily genetic, but I do think if you have clever parents, you will be taught a lot of clever things as you grow up. That said, my dad was a dumb idiot , whereas his brother, my uncle, became a professor in human biology.

• I think intelligence is mostly genetic. Like being born with the blueprints for having a good physique, the brain has to be exercised with reading and lots of mental work to keep intelligence in place.

• potential is genetic. Your intelligence is the result of how much you trained your brain.

Potential itself is nothing.

• its part genetic , but other factors like environment when live, people around as etc.. can be reason , but still Intelligence cannot be properly measured by just IQ test , so yet further more research has to done by scientist to determine the right way to measure the Intelligence.

• I think it's genetic, the difference between a dog and a human is genetic and so is the difference between smart people and dumb people.

• Potential is inheritable. Realization of potential depends, first and foremost, on the person's capability and willingness to learn and improve.

• That said, intellectually less capable people are still able to make up for it through dedication, a little something a lot of the people don't have.

• TBH i seen some stupid parents and intelligent kids but there is also smart parents and some really stupid kids but i don't know if they correlate i think its possible for a really super intelligent person to come from a farm or some shit like that

• "Genetic is important, eating habit is much more important." a Turkish doctor says.

• in my opinion it's not genetic but an intelligent parent would pass on his knowledge to their kids.

• It's most likely a combination. I think the abillity to intelectually develop more than others is genetic, but whether you actually do is probably heavily influenced by your environment. But that is just guessing of course.

• I think I know nothing

• I've been teaching abroad so I've learned about this as my time went on.

In Korea kids will be in school from 8am till 10pm. Their parents push them and culturally have shame if they do bad. regular school finishes at around 2pm then they go to academies after. Some kids don't go to academies and they're significantly behind the ones that do.

Some are adapted to the standardised teaching style which works to their advantage. .. but everyone learns different. Unfortunately the standard model fits to one only. Some do better in large classes, others prefer more focused smaller etc. .. Unfortunately one standard is only possible.

For the most part there is a degree of natural intelligence. But teaching and learning methods matter more and those that are more interested are more likely to learn quicker.

• My children... my family line... my blood.

• So you think it's genetic? Thanks for answering :)

• Ok, cool :)

• Yeah ikr? haha. Too bad though... The world is unfair :(

• Intelligence is, knowledge isn't

What Girls Said 18

• Intelligence is definitely genetic! Everyone gets exactly 50% of their genes/DNA from mom and 50% from dad, so there's no reason intelligence wouldn't be embedded in those genes. But environment is an equally important factor in how intelligent one becomes, because someone who's raised in a household and/or school that challenges them to think critically and develop interpersonal skills will most likely do better in school and work than someone who's raised in a household where they watch TV all day long and are never pushed to study, finish their homework, put in extra effort to get good grades and a good job, etc.

• I think it is genetic.

But like any great ability it can be wasted especially, if it is one no one develops from the very beginning of life.

"If you don't use it... you lose it".

• Not necessarily. Because you see outliers of smart people with average or dumb kids and not smart people with exceeding or brilliant kids.
    But when your smart you have the ability to raise smarter kids. Smarter people tend I talk tithe or kids more which helps expand their vocabulary. When your smarter you usually make more money so you can get your kid a better education. You push your kids mentally more.
    I'm not sure if it's all image but it's the environment that smarter people bring their kids up in that helps them exceed.

• That is very difficult to tell without being someone familiar with how genetics works. If you are brought up by your biological parents then is the intelligence nature or nurture? How you bring a child up counts for a lot with regards to it's ability to learn and it's enthusiasm and desire for knowledge.

• The kid at school that zooms way ahead of everybody and gets 100 percent in everything and then skips a grade or two or goes to university. Yes for sure.

• Almost every smart person I know had smart parents.

• intelligence is genetic but then we have the nature vs nurture theory.
    this means that your genetics may influence your intelligence but also the environment in which you grew up in. if you are surrounded in the wrong crowd from an early age, no matter your genes, you may still be likely to not reach your full potential, however, growing up without this inheritance and being raised in an environment where books are constantly thrown in your face could increase your intelligence

• I wasn't really a believer in genetics until meeting some members of my family much later in life and you'd be surprised at how much a like we are. Genetics has a lot to do with everything.

• I don't think that intelligence is related to genetical issues. I think like Jean Piaget. He says that intelligence is related to human's environment. If you grow in an appropriate environment to improve your intelligence, it is possible to say that you are intelligent.

• I don't so :) BUT I got it from my parents, my mother has a masters and father, a doctoral.

• It's in part genetics... But it also has to do with how your brain developed, mainly during the first 5 years of life.

• I think it is genetic

• Why do you think that?

• Just like being born with a mental disability is genetic, being born with an excellent mentality is genetic too.

• I think that genetics might influence the person's will and determination to learn new things.
    Also you got your parents to teach you things too
    Some learn quicker than others

• yeah probably

• It isn't. My mom is a smart fox and I... am a dumb loaf of bread 🍞

• I'm sure it's not that bad, thanks for answering :)

• At least for me no. Like I have a really good memory and my parents' memories are awful. I'm good with directions and my parents have always been horrible with directions. My intelligence is from my developmental, social disability as some of the advantages of it

• i think it is.. :P

• Why do you think it is?

• because genes play a major role in what we are.. but this has nothing to do with what we acheive in life.. hard work and passion is more important..

• Thanks for answering :)

• It is genetic just intelligence is just another trait we inherit from our parents. Some children inherit coordination, some inherit singing vocals, etc. We're born with it a brain reaches a certain capacity some are higher than others though many including myself will never reach that point.

What I'm trying to say is with logic some people are extremely smart (knows everything), some people are average (or what most of us call smart), and some people no offense are in fact literally dumb and can't make since of the simplest things. Now I know it's not nice to call people dumb but it's the truth dumb people exist now I know now you're thinking why are the aren't the average people dumb them and honestly we kind of are because like I said many of us will never use our brain to it's full extent but just we lows or get confused often but we eventually it and move on dumb people are not able to do that. Just like we can't take in every inch of information like the braniacs can. It all has to do with our genetics. Blame your/their parents.

• It also has to do with other traits that we've reieved from them like are we lazy and slack off or do we hard working. Because that definitely plays apart into how much knowledge we intake like when it cones to school or studying.

Or like I said before we're all at different levels someone could read something and automatically remember it those would be the geniuses. Then there's us we have to study and other work to remember. The less smart people learn most of the same stuff that we do but it's like they're not catching onto anything past that.

• Thanks for answering