How would you explain color to a blind man?

Just wondering. how?

Most Helpful Girl

• Blind people can often "see" with their ears.
    They probably would imagine it.

I would probably use the words light, dark, and bright (depending on the color I am describing).
    I'd let their imagination do the rest of the creating.

What Guys Said 6

• It would be pointless to try and explain the color blue for someone who's blind. You can say whatever you like and they will never get any closer to understanding it. Doesn't matter if you say blue is like the sky or the ocean because they don't know what that looks like either.

It's like explaining to a def person what is sounds like when a dog is barking. You can't explain something to someone if there is absolute zero point of reference.

• I have a vague recollection of an interview with a blind artist and he could describe colour with feelings.

• It's this thing that you will NEVER, EVER have to worry about :)

• It is impossible maybe we can say that black is what they feel all the time.

• i don't know associate it with things in the world blue water fire red green trees obviously he would never know what they look like

• yeah that's why i raised this question because i have a friend whose blind and she always says to me that i wonder what is the color of the sky the trees the bushes she always says to describe it for her but i don't have any ways to describe it. i feel bad

• i, m sure if there was a way someone would have thought it up already i understand why you feel bad but there is nothing you can really do maybe one day they might invent something to make it possible like the hearing implant but not much you can do now

• Yeah Your right.

• some people who are blind are not blind at birth

• and what if someone was born with their sight but then suddenly after months they became blind because of a disease? just like hellen keller

• i dont know then it would probably be pretty pointless because they won't use them

What Girls Said 6

• I wouldn't. Why would I want to make him feel worse about his condition?

• Just like there is different kinds of food, there are different colors
    Like some items may feel like the same, but don't look the same

• Unless they asked me to probably not.

• that would be difficult. Like flavor but with light

• I'd associate those colors to the feelings I connect to them.

• I would have so they associate the colors with things they can touch, taste, smell, hear... all the other senses they have. Example...
    Blue... ice
    White... cotton
    Pink... sticky cotton candy
    Red... rose... soft petals... pricking thorns
    Green... freshly cut grass
    Yellow... the warmth of the hot sun

A person just needs to use their imagination to come up with things to describe colors to those who cannot see them. What they can do is hear, smell, taste, and touch things in ways people who can see can never imagine.