Is it rude to order an expensive meal when some else is paying?

My big sis and brother in law took my parents and I out for dinner cause we helped them move in to their new house. My sister told me she'll buy me a few drinks and I can order whatever I want for being helpful in taking care of my niece, and moving all those boxes from the garage. It was hard work not gonna lie. I ordered the cheapest thing off the menu and a domestic bottle on special cause I felt bad for having my sister pay for me. I mdk if my sister was testing me to get cheaper food or serious but either way I felt guilty.

Most Helpful Girl

• She did say you could "order whatever you want", but it was polite of you to order something inexpensive. Generally you should stick to something average-priced, but if you're related to someone who's taking you out and you know they're generous/happy to splurge on you, don't feel shy to order a dish you really want. If it's a relative or friend from out of town who takes you out, consider sending them a thank-you email later that day.

• I feel guilty though I can't help it my parents ts didn't care and ordered up but I don't have that ability to not feel guilty.

What Girls Said 1

• I was taught to show courtesy , so I usually don't do that.
    It's impolite and rude.

• I just felt bad and got 10 dollar meal when my parents got steaks. Plus the drinks were expensive so a bud light was a reasonable price. I feel guilty when ppk pay for me but I will pay for other people its weird.

• I feel that way too.

Don't worry about it though...
      some people just want to be nice.

Treat them next time if it makes you feel any better.

What Guys Said 4

• It is courteous to take into account others having to pay for food

• Yeah, it is so rude.

• Yeah its rude

• Good so that mean I did the right thing in ordering what was cheap. I wondered if she felt disrespected cause i ordered cheap.

• Generally you respect how much they make. If you don't know how much you make, you order the minimum. But, if they say otherwise like (order whatever you want), go ahead