Is being left-handed something you're born with?

I don't recall anyone ever teaching me how to write nor eat with my left hand. That's always been me. But I don't get where I got this from. Neither of my parents nor two sister are left-handed. As far grandparents and the other members, right-handed for the most part but there is this one member that uses both (though not sure if he's a natural right or left-handed).

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes it is. Which hand you prefer is a recessive gene. Pretty much everyone carries the gene, but only some people get it. I'm left handed and both of my parents are right handed.

You can learn to do things with your other hand, but if you put in equal work with both hands you will always be better using the one you naturally prefer.

What Guys Said 7

• Well, You will find, 99% of guys who are right handed, Their left testicle hangs lower then the right one, And 99% of guys who are left handed, Their right testicle hangs lower then the left one.
    Its a Recessive Gene. Basically, You have a Dominant side of your body, So, Right handed people, Are more co-ordinated with their right arm, Can kick better with their right leg, And their right nut hangs higher. And vice versa ;P

• Yes I am fairly sure that is the case

• Generally, yes.

• It is a combination of nature and nurture except for left handed people of left-handed parents who are sometimes cerebrally reversed.

The skills that are normally on the left brain or on the right and visa versa. Such people often have superior artistic skills. It is thought that Da Vinci might have had reversed hemispheres.

• No you're a freek.
    I joke it's something we're born with if we're a right or left handed person some with feet.

• yes it is how your brain is wired up when you are developing. you can train yourself to be ambidextrous but you will always favour the dominant hand...

• Yeah. You can usually tell in the womb. Just look at which thumb the baby sucks

What Girls Said 8

• Some kids are naturally drawn to writing with their life hand.
    My kid started to write with his left hand... but by his teacher was guided to use his right.
    :( So now he uses the right hand.

• This is probably unrelated, but when I was a little kid I was ambidextrous and would write with both hands equally. But my teacher made me choose a hand and stick with it. So I chose left, so I'm a lefty.

• Yes, some people are just left handed. It will be because the part of your brain that coordinates the dominant hand is on the opposite side to right handed people (she says with her incredibly limited medical knowledge!).

• Everything about you is determined in utero. So yes, when you were born you were right handed already... crazy to think about lol

• Yes it is. Left handed is a developmental or genetic thing

• I don't know because some people are ambidextrous.

• Uh, of course it's natural.

• yes it is...