How does everyone feel about UNI-SEX bathrooms K-12 and teaching children about transgenders and homosexuality?

When I have children one day, if this is what is happening in public schools, I am not sending my kids to a public school. This? On top of the core curriculum teachings... SMH.

K-12 is not a place for these things to take place... My personal opinion.

Perhaps I am a conservative... I am not ignorant or weirded out by the idea of transgender or homosexuality but I would personally be the one to teach my children of what it means to identify as those things... & on top of that, I would like to be the person to teach my child about what it means to be respectful and loving towards everyone regardless of differences.
As far as the bathrooms are concerned... I don't agree that there should be such a thing because being realistic, it can lead to sexual encounters by a couple entering them together... Or even sexual curiosity by looking at one anothers body parts for those who are going through that maturing phase in life (puberty).

Most Helpful Guy

• Unisex bathrooms would be great, what sucks is that it'd take money and effort to change currently existing male/female restrooms become unisex, removal of urinals, adding more cubicles, etc. They just won't do it because they wnat to pay less and less... Also, if you don't teach kids and schools don't teach kids, then they will teach themselves from the internet. What do you think censorship will get you? NOTHING!

• It is the parents job to teach their children though... If parents neglect doing this then it is a problem yes. Everyone's views are different. Its just the fact they are teaching to help prevent bullying of those who are transgender or homosexual... definitely a better way to approach though.

• And honestly, sheltering will just make them ignorant, and they will become unable to make an informed choice. For example, drugs - kids have no idea why drugs are bad, that's why they do it. Their parents pretend that if they stick their hands in the sand then kids won't have access to drugs, but they will, and they'll have no idea that they shouldn't.

• lol, well if that's something you want to do then go for it and it's awesome that you want to be that involved in your children lives but I think a lot of parents worry too much when it comes to public schools, I went to some really horrible poor public schools growing up and nothing was ever that traumatizing, kids are smart, they realize/discover things very quickly. I don't think it's good to be graphic with them or expose them to too many things too early but I do think educating them about things they are going to find out about anyway isn't a bad thing.

What Guys Said 9

• Oh fuck.
    Watch this get implemented, And all the feminists will be like ''omg a guy took a shit next to me clearly he wants to rape and oppress me''.

• And guys will still complain about feminism and use very extreme examples to support their dislike for them, even though it's highly needed in some countries.

• 3) Yup, Guys get body judged and shamed too, Not just girls...

A lot of people get body shamed but it's way more common for women and it's even more acceptable to be done to women, women are posted all over magazines and picked apart, rated and that definintely happens to women far more often, it's not right either way though.

4), Yup, Guys can't be nude either, not just girls...
      This is my point, Feminists make problems out of things, where problems do not exist.

I wasn't saying women can or can't go nude, I think female nudity is required way more then male nudity in tv shows/movies a lot of times and it's a complete double standard because sex sells.

• I'm always the one saying feminist should worry more about what goes on in other countries way more than our country because equality is almost impossible to get exactly right and in our country women can do almost anything that a man can do but you would have to be blind to not see that society puts pressure and treats genders differently.

• I think its great for so many reasons. The bathrooms situation would be fantastic for transgender kids and teens who feel uncomfortable using a bathroom designated for one gender or the other. They can use a uni-sex one and feel more comfortable.

Teaching about transgenders and homosexuality would be great as well so kids grow up being more informed and don't act like transgenders are a new thing and don't act like everyone is right now concerning Caitlyn. They'll know what it is, be a bit more informed, and I'm sure bullying would go down some if they knew something about it other than it being weird.

I think its a fantastic idea. Especially if you get them exposed to it early on and get in depth as time goes on. Then people don't act all creeped out by it like its just a disease or some other stupid shit.

I don't see why you're against it. You learn things in school, different cultures, lifestyles, ways of life, and sexuality and gender identity should be taught so people aren't ignorant idiots in regards to the situation.

• Eexactly. For whatever reason (probably bigotry) people seem to see LGBTQ issues are more inappropriate than heterosexuality and cisgenderism. I dunno, people are prejudiced and silly.

• I think it's fine to teach a kid about these things. I mean, we spend time talking about STDs and how they're passed for damn near three years, then go on to learn about childbirth and in some cases watch an unnecessary video. I'm pretty sure we can squeeze in homosexuality and transgenderism in there.

• I support it. I think that learning about the reality of the world and it's entourage of people is important no matter what the subject. So long as there is no inappropriately graphic details I encourage this.

• So you would rather someone else teach your children such a sensitive subject than yourself?

• I was just thinking that as well, the parental permission type curriculum. As far as bullying is concerned I don't see how this is going to stop it... that is the motion behind the teachings, in hopes to prevent bullying.

• ( gsaday.org/.../ )

It took me a moment, but I found what I wanted; this is a tiny drop in a pool that created ripples. Many times all it takes is just a few individuals willing to stand together to decease the cruelty and rampant ignorance of others. In this case it is actually imperative that we teach children when young to look upon one another with greater respect regardless of various elements; just as you no longer live in a world filled with overt segregation based on color, class, or creed so too can the future not be based on sex, orientation, or gender.

It does work. Education has always worked.

• instal uni sex restrooms and watch the teenage pregnancy rate go up great idea

• Unisex bathroom? Wow...

• a lot of schools are looking at it as a "third option".. . but still.

• I have no problem with it - The bathrooms in my house are unisex plus transgenders and homosexuals are just people.

• i think it should be ok to teach transgender and homosexual stuff early on because it won´t change the "normal" (hetero) kids and the ones who actually are "different" won´t feel like outcasts and know what´s going on with them.

what´s the problem with uni-sex bathrooms? you´re going to piss and shit there why is this supposed to be "bad" ?

• What is K-12?

• Kindergarten - 12th grade

• Ah, I see.
      I don't see why not. It's better they learn the truth in school than from bigoted parents.
      Uni-Sex bathrooms though, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't have an opinion on that.

• Homeschooling is the best thing

What Girls Said 8

• I don't mind my children being taught about that because it's what is happening out there. It's more common now and I have nothing against transgenders or homosexuals. However I still feel a bit icky about uni-sex bathrooms. Especially for children... I feel like that would be a great place to play "look at mine if I look at yours" games and in my country it's not that uncommon for children to have sex from really early ages like 9 and 10. I could be wrong here but I just think of trouble when uni sex bathrooms for kids come to mind.

• I think unisex bathrooms would work fine, given we can educate children to act appropriately regarding them. As for education about LGBTQ+ issues, I say the earlier the better. I see absolutely no reason for LGBTQ things to be somehow more explicit than the examples of heterosexuality and cisgenderism that we see around us every day. And the earlier children are educated about this, the more normal they see it, and the less bigoted they become. (And for the record, common core is absolutely great, it's just that teachers don't understand how to implement it.)

• Oh jeez...
    Well if that's they want to do, be my guest
    My kids might end up at a catholic school anyway

• Do you mean they will add a unisex bathroom along with a men and womens as well? because i've seen that in places before where they had all 3 and I see nothing wrong with it.

Also transgender and homosexuality isn't some secret and people shouldn't be shamed for it, I don't see any reason why people can't be honest about it, kids/teenagers are very aware of their surroundings, I don't see the harm in teaching people in general that it's ok to be who you are and teaching other people acceptance.

• Some schools are looking at it as a third option... yes. Why have someone else teach your children something that you should be teaching them though. I don't believe that is a schools role.

• Well I explained earlier that some parents don't think like you do and they won't be as involved in their childs life that way. So what do those kids do? I think the more "normal" it's treated, the better it is and it would only help acceptance regardless of who teaches it.

• Bad idea! And not the School's place. It is the parents place.

• Now this is over the line. that's it my kids will be in a Christian school

• I will homeschool them. That is absolutely ridiculous.

• It's crap (no pun intended)