How do I get my kitten to stop crying?

My roomates brought home a kitten its like 4-6 weeks old because its eyes are open and it can jump on my bed which is a kinda tall queensize bed. She is over the hiding in a corner affraid kind of stage, we have had her for like two nights and she won't stop crying at night time. She cried a little bit today while I was working from home but she lets me feed her and hold her and she will even climb up on my shoulder. Is there anything I can do to make her cry less often. I pet her and I let her listen to classical music. Also how long will she cry for? She didn't let me sleep at all last night

Most Helpful Girl

• It sounds like she's traumatised. Either missing her owners, mum or feeling trapped.

Don't let her outside. If she goes out she could get lost. Advertise for a lost kitten.

Just be gentle with her. Give her a little bit of milk, give her good quality food, and be there for her. You can't encourage bad behaviour but encourage good.

She sounds to be too young to be away from her mum so she'll be looking to you to be her mum. Just comfort her, rub your face on her body, speak to her. She'll relax slowly. :)

What Guys Said 8

• You might get a cheap old style ticking clock and put it in her basket. Have her her own place to sleep with the clock and sometimes the sound will soothe them so they'll sleep. Also call you vet for suggestions.

• Well, I think it's just a matter of time and comfort. It's a shocking experience for the animal to be taken from its mother. I don't know what this kitten's sleeping arrangements are, but try to comfort it as much as you can. Perhaps you could try having it cuddle up with some stuffed animals.

• she isn't used 2 around u probably... no?

• 4 to 6 weeks is young to be away from it's mother. They should ideally be around 7 weeks to be independent..

Source: My cats have had kittens in the past and I have 4 two week old kittens atm.

• Awe :3 that is just super ultra cute its still a baby just keep taking care of it and it will trust you and stop crying ^_^

• Buy some boxes and give them to the kitten

• try and getting a stuffed cat and a small bottle. she will thing its its mother and feel safe

• Feed her
    works

What Girls Said 8

• Well 4 weeks old is too young for her to be away from her mother. She isn't even weaned yet if she's that small. You're great if you rescued her, but if you purchased her from someone then I don't recommend doing this again, because they don't know what they're doing.

Weaning would naturally be completed when the kitten is around 8 weeks old.

So, I would see if you can give her back to her mom for a few weeks. And then once she's older, see if that helped her crying.

• They rescued the kitty from a possum

• She's probably just scared and looking for her mom and siblings. My boyfriend rescued a young kitten from a warehouse about two weeks ago, and it cried the first few days. Unfortunately nothing made it stop, not cuddles, or yummy food, or warm blankets. I think as it got accustomed to him, it understood it didn't have to find 'safety' and that he was safety. Over the next week she should cry less and less as she understands that you are her new family and you give her everything she needs.

• Ah, 4-6 weeks is too early to be away from mommy. :( You shouldn't have taken kitten so young. That's probably why she's crying.
    Just give her all the affection you can, I don't know what else suggest.

• See if letting the kitten sleep on your chest. The sound of your heart beat might calm her down since she might miss her mom. Plus try to hold her close to your heart to calm her down.

• You have to comfort her constantly. Human babies are the same. And she's too young to be away from her mother seriously. You can't really stop the crying completely.

• awww this is the cutest question i've ever seen on this site ♡ i think you just need to give her time to adjust to her new surroundings. try cuddling with her at bedtime. also try earplugs.

• She might have an illness. Have you taken her to the vet? It might be a good idea to do so.

• She is too young to be away from her mother for a start. But try putting a heat pack and a ticking clock or watch in her bed.

• Cat nip or a calming treat