Self harm confession?

I'm embarrassed and ashamed. This is not really a question, more like a confession. Tonight, I was particularly upset. Feeling ugly and insecure. So I did a stupid thing. I took some ice and numbed my leg and cut it with an exacto knife. I wanted to see the blood.
immediatly after, I regretted it. My life isn't that bad. Why was I doing this? I quickly scrambled to get rid of the evidence. The rest of my family is sleeping so I had ample opportunity. I had leftover gauze from my wisdom tooth extraction. I also recently made a cut off shirt so I put on the gauze and wrapped a piece of fabric around the gauze and concealed it under my night gown. No one knows, nor will they ever. Right now, I feel terrible. I will never do this again. Does anyone for have words of wisdom thy can help me the next time I feel down?

Most Helpful Girl

• Well you are probably depressed. I mean depression isn't about having a bad life its a brain chemistry problem. And its okay a lot of people self harm, its not particularly a good thing and it isn't to be encouraged but I would suggest talking to someone about getting help. There are little things that you can do to improve your happiness , eat healthier , exercise as it releases endorphins and those can make you feel happier in the long run. Try meditation as it can help people be alone in their own mind along with allowing them a few minutes of quiet and time to relax a little bit more. Listen to upbeat music , certain frequencies can affect your mood. And if you need go see a proffesional. Just be careful when trying out new anti depressives because everyones brain chemistry is different and because they don't do brain scans doctors practically play a guessing game with anti depressives, so sometimes people get a perscription that may work for someone else but cause them to be misserable. Just remember that you aren't alone

What Guys Said 4

• Have a look on net and see if there is any helplines that you can ring or email anon for a chat when you feel down - The experts there might have good advice

• When you feel such depression coming on don't let those thoughts take you. Call a friend, or go hang out and do something that makes you feel good. But always remember those thoughts are wrong, don't believe them a bit. Remind yourself that you're beautiful, no matter what. If it gets too bad you'll need to find someone you can trust and talk to them about it. It's nothing to be ashamed of

• Thank you... I try to remember that next time I feel bad

• Remember the things you're grateful for.

• Damn you tried to cut your leg off or just cut it? I once tried to choke
    myself to death.

• Just cut... No one will notice it on my thigh where I cut it. And wow.. That's really bad... I'm so sorry to hear that you did that.

• I see, don't feel bad about me my life sucks at times and I didn't do
      a very good job lol.

What Girls Said 4

• Next time take a pen and draw where you want to cut.
    Draw something pretty that will wash off instead of hurting yourself

Make sure to drink lots of water and eat lots of protein to let your skin heal faster with less noticeable scar, if you have any unscented lotion to put on it (once it scans up) use that to keep it hydrated and to keep the scar from being red/purple or puffy

• Hmmm, I don't know what you're into but in my case, I'm into art.
    So whenever I feel like the everything's fucked up, I take it out on drawing or I just write it on my online diary.

When I think of everything that people say is wrong with me, I try to think of the beautiful things I can do and how I'd hone that and show them I'm more than what they say.

• Hey sweetie. It sounds like tonight was pretty hard for you. Your life doesn't have to be bad to validate you feeling sad or insecure. Self harm can be a slippery slope though, and it's not the best way to make yourself feel better. Try Googling 'self harm alternatives' for a list of other options. Do you have anyone to talk to about how you're feeling -- even a school counsellor? Your feelings are valid and you don't need to feel guilty or ashamed. But I would recommend you try to avoid self-harming in the future if you possibly can. Take care. xx

• Thank you so much... I promise I'll never do it again. I feel really guilt :-(

• Try writing in a journal (i found this really helped). Also running or exercise in general helps a lot...