What would you do.. ?

if you are very religious.. and love your religion.. but there are one or two things in that religion that you dont agree with.. in fact you are strongly against them.. and being against makes you a sinner.. what would you do? and is there anything in your religion that you dont agree with?

Most Helpful Girl

• I was raised Christian, but the more I learned about the Bible, the more awful I realized it was. At first, I would rationalize away the things that bothered me, but eventually, I couldn't handle the cognitive dissonance and it led to me becoming an atheist.

Here are just a few of the things I have a problem with:
    1. The Genesis story conflicts with science.
    2. God condones slavery.
    3. It's sexist against women (the man should be the head of the woman/the woman must obey her husband, women shouldn't speak in church; or there's stuff like, if a man rapes a woman, he has to marry her and cannot divorce her. That essentially means that women were forced to marry their rapists).
    4. Being gay is a sin, and gay people should be put to death.
    5. God commits genocide, which includes killing infants and children, and hell, even animals. One example being the Noah story, another is the slaughtering of all the Egyptian first-born sons.. all-in-all, god kills (or helps people kill) hundreds of thousands of people in the Bible. There's things like God telling the Israelites to kill all the boys and non-virgin women of the Midianite people, but to take the virgins and keep them for themselves. Totally cool to murder all those girls' families, and then force them into marriage and rape them!

Anyway, I could go on and on, but yeah, I just realized how immoral the god of the bible actually is, and I also realized that I had no good reason to believe he actually exists, so I stopped believing.

• woah... this 5th one sounds horrible.. and all the other too.. is this really in bible?

• No problem.

• Thanks for MHO. :)

What Guys Said 8

• a religion is there in order to give your live order and to organize life in a society by teaching moral standards and kindness.

some religions try to explain the origin of life but they all fail miserably in my opinion (no wonder since they are all made up by fellow humans, who can not know stuff like this any better than you and me)

having said this, if i was religious, i´d see any texts that are considered important as anecdotes not as strikt rules. life isn´t black and white and sometimes you do stuff that isn´t ok and if you feel what your religion wants you to to do is wrong, then just don´t do it... it´s all about inner piece and being able to accept who and what you are and what you do.

• hmm... this is valid..

• I don't follow or agree everything about my religion specially when it comes to sex and marriage and other stuff; I'm a catholic by the way

• I'm Lawful Evil so I would likely obey even if I didn't like it.

• I am not religious... Simple.. I don't need to worry about anything... LOL tention free life 😉

• the genesis story.

• so what you did about it?

• No religion is perfect just choose what you like from all the religions. that is what I do😊

• Thats why i left -Islam ,-Christianity ,-Judaism..

• now thats a bit lazy..

• Go and worship a man and says he was the god in flesh , go worship a god who send men that are not muslim to hell , go worship a god who loves a people more than others.. Thats what the religions are!

• *and say...

• A religion should cater for all your needs

• can you explain your answer?

• Shouldn't*

• hmm.. thanks.. :)

What Girls Said 7

• I think that having doubts about religion is a perfectly natural thing and, let's face it, no one should believe everything about their religion blindly. We have to remember context issues such as the time these religious laws were dictated, and how that these may no longer fit into our society. Everyone has done something that makes them a sinner. The most important thing about religion is having an open heart and being full of love for all people, and if you are those things, then whoever your deity is, they won't reject you if they are good.

• Create your own religion.

• haha.. yeah... but the thing is that gag takes up so much if my time.. :P

• All I'm saying is, if you strongly are against these points, there shouldn't be a pressure into believing in a religion you don't fully want to just so you can "organize your life" or find purpose. We are all still discovering ourselves & have that choice to do so.

• got your point.. thanks.. :)

• It's not a sin if you have a different opinion about sth. It's not a sin if you thought about sth the religion doesn't agree with. As long as you're not breaking the rules the religion tell u to follow, I don't see why it would be considered a sin.

• I am not religious myself, but there is no rule in whatever religion that you have to accept everything. Religion is a way of organizing your life so it makes you happy. Since everybody is different there is a unique mask for everyone so you cannot just stick a number of general rules on everybody.

• I would ponder for solutions.

• Lots of things. Just look for what you think is truth

• lol LOTS of stuff XD