Is fasting harmful to our health?

Is fasting dangerous? Why or why not?

0|0
3|10

Most Helpful Guy

• Here's my 'non-scientific' take.

Arbitrary 'mind-based' fasting ie doing it in a herdish, circumscribed way; for religious, cultural or self castigation (bear in mind that we are primitive psychologically, and think we can gain by punishing ourselves, going without etc) is likely harmful.

there is, however, in my view, a reason why anecdotally, and in religious texts, it's considered a panacea. Bear in mind that religious texts aren't necessarily wrong. Adherents were and are merely copying their masters and people who did have a clue, and codifying it (in religious texts), not understanding that these practices are to be done with a certain level of awareness, understanding, and subjective (non religious) ability to tailor and adjust as one goes along. In short, they aren't strict and rigid rules with which to make oneself saintly, but based on a sound subjective, experiential understanding of how the human body works. This requires meditation.

In short, the body heals itself when it's not overloaded with food. And most of the health problems that abound in the so called West today, are problems with excess; quantity over quality. The body is sending you myriad signals all the time, but most of us eat for comfort and to perpetually suppress the subconscious (the emotions and bad experiences that are buried, deep).

If you follow the body's wisdom (namely, eating when hungry and integrating past experiences and unpleasant emotions (which will sometimes involve withdrawing from eating for a short period (the body will stop sending hunger signals)): You can restore your body's health to a surprising degree.

Obviously there's a lot more I could write about this. But I can definitely read a lot of peoples' health in their faces, and definitely think a lot would benefit by changing their habits. Don't agree with arbitrary fasting though, but that's just me.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 3

• It wasn't created to be harmless. there are sects in Christianity that monks actively harm themselves whip and cut themselves for their beliefs.

It's just an idea of controlling and/or repressing your desires and instincts.

any word that tries to make fasting medically approved is pure nonsense. There is no positive thing about fasting there is dehydration, constant tiredness, reduction of energy to work and think. The simplest thing that can happen is dehydration through the day that will have much effect on the metabolism of the body.

Also meals should be shared during the hours of a day. even the idea of only 3 filling meals is not completely a good idea you should eat less but have more times eating during a day.

And fasting like Muslims do parts the meals to two big filling meals one in the dawn and one in sunset and nothing even water in between. It harms the body in many ways.

They have it in one month every year. Make them have it for 10 years every day and we will see if they will remain healthy or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • if fasting would have been dangerous so i guess most muslims would be dead. there are many reasons why people fast. it helps for self restraint, people learn to have control over thier desires and hunger as well as it purifies the body as it gives your body a break from the process of digestion.
    "Research cardiologists at the Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute are reporting that fasting not only lowers one's risk of coronary artery disease and diabetes, but also causes significant changes in a person's blood cholesterol levels. Both diabetes and elevated cholesterol are known risk factors for coronary heart disease."
    www.sciencedaily.com/.../110403090259.htm

but make sure that when u break your fast u don't overload yourself with excessive eating nor u should eat to less. Eat healthy at the time of breaking yr fast.
    many countries have long periods of fasting (from dawn to dusk) so they should be careful as they might be extremely dehydrated.
    you can fast for 15 - 16 hrs but after that i guess it becomes difficult.

0|0
    0|0
  • As the Ramadan fast only lasts from dawn till dusk, the body's energy can be replaced in the pre-dawn and dusk meals.
    This provides a gentle transition from using glucose as the main source of energy, to using fat, and prevents the breakdown of muscle for protein.
    Dr Mahroof says the use of fat for energy helps weight loss. It preserves the muscles and eventually reduces your cholesterol level. In addition, weight loss results in better control of diabetes and reduces blood pressure.
    “A detoxification process also occurs, because any toxins stored in the body’s fat are dissolved and removed from the body,” says Dr Mahroof.
    After a few days of the fast, higher levels of endorphins appear in the blood, making you more alert and giving an overall feeling of general mental wellbeing.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 9

• No it is not. Not in most zones of the planet. God would never command something that is harmful to His own creation. That is why, you are exempted from fasting if your medical condition does not allow, or you are travelling (of course, travelling these days is by no means as enduring as it used to be). However, there are certain zones on planet where the days are too long to a fast and in those cases, scholars have explained how you can follow an alternative schedule to fast.

0|0
    0|0
  • Fasting is good for health, I mean one day in a week. Sometimes we overeat and overload out digestive system. So, giving our bodies to have a break is perfectly ok. You can drink water though.

Sadly some who fast, eat like pigs on the next day - which is even more harmful.

0|0
    0|0
  • It should only be done under supervised and controlled conditions such as Ramadan

0|0
    0|0
  • I would guess it is, but I'll have to look into that.

0|0
    0|0
  • In a way it can be

0|0
    0|0
  • Fast can be very dangerous to the inexperienced.

You should always do your research or seek professional and expert advice on how to manage yourself during the process.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes it is, but thats the point right? you do it to sympathise with those who can't afford healthy meals. thats what i thought anyway

0|1
    1|0
  • Everything can be harmful.

0|0
    0|0
  • Islam is generally harmful to everyone's health.

1|0
    1|1