Do you think 2016 will be the year the US elects it's first third party president?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• No.

Third party candidates can't garner the necessary level of support from our corporate overlords that's needed to win a national election.

What Girls Said 6

• I wish but honestly no, there's to many people who vote straight dems or republican, my brother for example does, and our governor is cutting millions in education last thing that should be touched.

• What a shame too, to just automatically vote all democrat or all republican with out putting ant thought into who might actually be the better candidate.

• @rationalLiones beats me extremely ridiculous, education should be LAST thing that's touched.

• @rationalLioness

• No, i think Hillary Clinton will most likely win because the republicans don't have any great candidates and some of them have even hurt their chances already like Mike Huckabee for supporting Josh Duggar

• Nope. I think Hilary's going to get it.

• No not yet

• I hope so. Bernie Sanders is pretty great.

• I hope so. Libertarian.

What Guys Said 19

• No, I don't think 2016 will be the year the United States elects it's first third party president, because there have been four "third-party" presidents in history (already.)

The year the United States was 1841, when America elected William Henry Harrison as a Whig. There were also Federalists at this time (they turned into Democrats.)

Anyway, I do NOT think we will see a third-party president anytime soon. Unfortunately, Americans are too divided in the "two-party" system. Republicans and Democrats seem to enjoy the rivalry too much.

I think following political parties is ignorant and proves how naive people are. I look at the candidate, not the party which is attached to them. All political parties are corrupt and made to divide the public.

• No I don't believe so.

The way American politics seems to work at the national level is that the person with the most money wins/contends. Obama won partly because he was able to sweet talk both the people and donors (some of which were the big banks, who've done quite well for themselves since investing in Obama) to give money to him. No third party candidate atm has what it takes to raise enough money to even contend. So i do question what other candidates like Sanders is going to do in order to raise enough money to beat the likes of Hilary... because unfortunately, money talks in Washington. Unfortunately, i think it may end up coming down to Hilary and whoever gets the most Koch Bros. money on the republican side.

In terms of message, Hilary is just barely a liberal, especially by Canadian and European standards. She's talking the progressive talk now for the campaign, but frequently offers little to no details about how she'll actually carry out what she's saying. Last I checked, Hilary was doing speeches at Goldman Sachs for up to a quarter of a million dollars, just to tell them how misunderstood they were, even though they nearly crashed the world economy with their excessive greed. In a fair world and amongst a smart public, that wouldn't fly. But we don't live in a fair world, and voter intelligence, particularly in the USA, is sometimes questionable.

• Looking at the US system, not a chance.
    Simply because no corporation will back a 3rd party, and because hillary will get a ton of votes because "politically correct".
    So... have fun with the next 4 years, you'll need it

• Rand Paul has Libertarian views, in a way he would be it. The Republicans don't like him because he won't be bribed, like his father. If Hillary is elected, that will be third party because of her Plutocratic association with the CFR, gaining "insight" from them.

• No it won't, the candidates and the vast majority of voters are far too main stream and the election will inevitably come down to a liberal and a conservative, like always. My guess is that it will be Hillary Clinton against either Rubio or Bush in the final push for the election.

• Oh god I hope not D:.

• Haha, I know its not much of a run is it? But I kind of like Rubio, and as far as Bush is concerned, well he's alright, he certainly seems more intelligent than his dipshit brother. But I can't stand Hillary Clinton, and why anybody would support her after that colossal goat fuck, to quote Cormac McCarthy, in Bengazi baffles me, but it is what it is, and her being a woman is certainly not hurting her cause.

• The gang mentality is too strong in American politics. Most people will vote based on party more than based on candidate (unfortunately)

• Please realize that does not necessarily mean that we firmly believe in one party. I spent years poring over the voting materials for each candidate, and finally realized I was voting against a party. And since the candidate from the other party was the only other having a chance, I did not want to dilute my voting power and went with the one to prevent the "bad guy" from winning.

• I would be surprised

• That'll never happen.

• No, people are more dumbed-down, divided, and confused than ever... The populous is well controlled under the thumb of the movers and shakers...

• It honestly doesn't matter who becomes president. Everyone is going to hate them in a few years and want someone new because they did this and that.

• No, that is not going to happen.

• @llorando I do not see that taking place, the established dem/republican machines are so stacked against a 3rd party candidate that I think we are decades away from a 3rd party candidate winning office.

Do you think it will happen?

• I hope it happens, I've had enough of Democrats and Republicans, in the end their all looking out for big corporations.

• Will never happen.

• Not a chance!

• Murica is too mainstream

• No, but I wish so.

• hilary will win, and only because she's a woman.

• I don't think she'll win, but she'll be in the running for that reason.

• That's not true as their will be other woman running.

• because peolpe want to say they're not sexist and vote for a woman.

• Don't be stupid. That isn't happening.

• As long as it isn't Hillary Clinton I'm good.