Why is eating alone so sad?

Most Helpful Guy

• Why is eating alone sad? Why do I need someone to eat with? Are we incapable of eating by ourselves? Are we so emotionally fragile that the mere thought of spending 20 minutes eating alone will destroy us and have the entirety of society look down upon us? What purpose does having someone with me while I eat serve? I'm not going to have a conversation with them. Why? Because I'm eating! My mouth is in use. So what possible reason could I absolutely need someone with me while I eat? Its not necessary. Its not sad. I've been doing it for years without any problems. And if you ask me, what's really sad is people believing its weird to eat alone.

What Guys Said 15

• Meh , there's nothing to it.
    Eating alone , eating with people , all equally valid options in my book just depends on what you enjoy really.

Maybe you enjoy sharing the moment with someone , share the food , gossip a bit , talk about your day , bullshit and rant.
    Maybe you enjoy a bit of serenity , a bit of quietness , a bit of time for introspection , and shutting oneself in a box , walled against a world that just keeps on talking.

Both of them are equally valid.
    The only difference is your preference.

• depends on the person. I don't mind riding my bike to a place and eating alone, im fucking hungry lol.

• Well, some people feel that way because we're social animals. The act of sharing food is something humans have been doing for as long as there have been humans. It goes for other social primates as well. Chimps don't eat alone. Gorillas don't eat alone. We seem to be hard wired to be social creatures.

Now, I don't think eating alone is sad, however I understand when other people are uncomfortable with it.

• It's not if you take a good book, on paper, Kindle or on your phone.

• Because people judge they always do... Here in Holland eating at restaurants really is a family thing. I sometimes go alone but if I do I get stares. I got more stares when I was depressed though. Then they really think you're a sad piece of shit. Well, I was. :P

• I don't mind doing that

• Um, it isn't. I don't like people looking at me while I eat. I don't wanna talk while I eat, and I def don't wanna see people talk while they eat. Just do you, girl. Your perception on life is literally what you make of it. You think it's sad, it's sad. You think it's fine then it's fine. I'm guessing you're in high school, there's a loooooot after high school. You'll be fine.

• I'm alone all the time, So, its cool xD.

• It is sad to eat alone , i like to have someone to eat with

• I always eat alone and I don't feel sad.
    Just need a decent TV show on the laptop to keep me occupied.

• I always eat alone, in my room. I have my Laptop, phone and Xbox to keep me company.

• noo i mean for example eating alone at lunch or something like that it just makes me feel sad seeing people eating alone in public because i dont want them to feel lonely..

• Oh, I never ate alone at school or college

• I always eat alone. I think eating with people is endlessly awkward.

• Maybe he hasn't friends? THere no story so difficult to say...
    But why dont you go sit with him?

• Because we are taught to talk while we eat (but only when our mouths are empty?)

• I do not have that feeling.

What Girls Said 9

• I eat alone all the time. It's normal in college to grab a bite without friends because sometimes your schedules just won't line up and other reasons as well.

That being said, sometimes I get upset if I'm eating alone because someone ditched me.

But most of college I ate alone whether in my room or at a dining hall in my favorite little corner.

That being said, I'm an introverted person, so this quiet me time was needed after group projects and group lab work.

• Because despite the fact that eating is just physical activity, eating is more like an social activity.

• It's not sad but if I am in a crowded place, and feel people staring at me.. that's when I can't seem to eat.

• You know what's really sad? Eating a whole chicken over your sink while crying. I saw it on tv once hahahaha

• Actually I don't mind eating alone..

• No it's not. I actually enjoy eating alone

• It wasn't a big deal in college but in high school it was for some reason

• i've been eating more or less alone these past 5 years :(

• I usually don't feel sad eating alone