Why do people always call teens hormonal?

I'm 15 and I always hear people say that teenagers are so hormonal and what not. Why do people always say this? What makes them hormonal? What things do teens do that makes people call us hormonal? Thanks.

0|0
4|11

Most Helpful Guy

• The reason people use it as a statement is because the differences between teen thinking and adult thinking are actually quite significant, and it's the hormones that are partially responsible for this. The prefrontal cortex in the brain is only partially developed in teens. It doesn't finish 'cooking' until mid-20s. It acts as the arbiter, the judge, keeping the urges of the hypothalamus in check, urges that are going a little crazy because the brain is getting doused in hormonal chemicals it's never really experienced before.

So... first of all, think of some old 60 year old hippy. They smoke a joint, they don't do much. They are used to the feeling, it's all fine and good, it doesn't even phase them. A young teen smokes a joint for the first time and suddenly you run into a case of the giggles, or talking too much, or whatever... the brain isn't used to the influx of new chemicals. It takes repeated exposure to calm that down.

So you have the brain getting hit with these new experiences that it doesn't have any resistance to, and you don't have a fully functioning prefrontal cortex to moderate it, to tell the brain that this is a bad idea. Basically the 'shoulder angel, shoulder devil' system is not in place in the mind. Sometimes a half-formed shoulder angel may show up alone, sometimes a shoulder devil on steroids shows up, sometimes neither, almost never both. It makes the behaviour seem impulsive, because it lacks foresight.

So, the term is really a shorthand to mean that teens have behaviour that seems impulsive and unpredictable, because given identical inputs, the teen brain and the adult brain will come to different outputs. The brain quite literally is not yet finished developing, and it means it will be occasionally outputting decisions and behaviours that no adult brain would ever consider a good idea.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 10

• Because infatuation starts taking effect, and the moment you see an attractive member of the sex of your liking, you end up being a bubbly mumbling idiot. That's how infatuation works, it's pure biology, biochemistry and science. But as such, teens sometimes make silly decisions.

1|0
    0|0
  • At 15 peoples' bodies are going through big physical changes with lots of hormones floating about - It can lead to changeability of moods - I think most people remember going through it so make allowances for it.

1|0
    0|0
    • That makes sense. Thanks😊.

• Well, your going through puberty and teens can
    have high sex drive, being moody, one day they
    have a boyfriend/ girlfriend and week later they don't

1|0
    0|0
  • Because y'all a bunch of horny, moody bastards.

Just kidding. Seriously though, it's because teenagers are seen as horny and moody people. And those who say that aren't exactly wrong.

1|0
    0|0
  • Your hormones are running at an all time high when you're in puberty and it makes you extra emotional.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's not because of the things you do, it's because it's a fact. Puberty makes your hormones rage, hence you are hormonal.

0|1
    0|0
  • Because they are hormonal. What.

1|1
    0|0
  • that applies more so to teen guys than girls, though i have senn some teen girls that are friking hormonal.

0|0
    1|0
    • You haven't had contact with many teenage girls, right? Haha

• Show All
    • @fakename123
      Im neithr full if shit, nor lucky with the girls; im just naturally good with girls. Probably cuz the majority of my friends are girls.

• Your teen years are when you're going through a shit tin of physical and mental changes, including starting to realize you're born gay (if in fact you are of course). The mind doesn't actually fully develop until 26, they say but your teen years are def. very immature

1|0
    0|0
  • becuz they're horny

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 4

• It's because teens are developing and they have all kinds of hormones running through their bodies as they change. Their hormones can affect their thinking, how they look, and their moods so when people call teens hormonal, it refers to how their hormones can affect them.

1|0
    0|0
  • During puberty your hormones are unsteady. How do teens not know this?

0|1
    0|0
    • Haha😂. I've actually herd this before, but, usually when I hear people say this on like TV or something, it's usually when a teenager says/does something, so, I was kinda looking for your opinion on why people say this, not necessarily the scientific part. But thanks for the info.

• I'm not a teen but i get called " hormonal" all of the time. Lol 😄

0|0
    0|0
  • Because you're going through puberty so have a lot more hormones in you then the average adult

3|0
    0|0