Why do people proudly sport Confederate flags?

I'm so confused by this. To me it's no different than if somone were to just wave around and proudly sport a Nazi flag. All I hear is " It's southern pride." And my boyfriend says that too and he is from the South. The Confederate flag isn't the American flag. People use it as some kind of symbol for being "country" or "redneck" but to me it's just a symbol for the support of slavery and segregation. Sorry not sorry.

Most Helpful Guy

• Yes, I totally agree with you.
    But then again, I'm generally an opponent of patriotism. "Southern pride"... what a load of rubbish. What is he proud about? The pure and utter coincidence that he was born in the south of the United States rather than in France or Russia or Bangladesh or Somalia? Pride is something you can feel in relation to challenges you've tackled and things you've achieved. You can't be proud of purely happening to be born in Texas rather than in Austria. It's just a euphemism to say "I think I'm something better than you based on my origins", which I reject for ethical reasons.

• If you think southern pride is a deplorable phenomenon, just wait til you meet someone from the Republic of Texas.

• Totally a warning.

Short story: The last time I dealt with a man front the Republic of Texas, I wasn't finished with him until he married a Canadian.
      That man now resides in the State of Washington.

• Sexy azz intellect. ;)

What Guys Said 13

• It's sad to think them type of flags are still allowed to be put up
    it's over 50 years now and we still got to contend with this crap
    i agree they should be illegal by law to be allowed to be put up
    i can't understand why any of them flags are allowed to be put up
    that doesn't support something that is legal but symbolizes things
    that sad but as long as this country doesn't meet agreements
    with making laws to abolish these type of things they will still go on
    this 2015 time for America to make change for best,

• actually flags don't mean much anyway... flags r just... fabric. no offence but i don't understand y people go crazy over a flag.

• Yeah, no. It's not about the flag itself, but about what it symbolizes. Symbolism is fucking powerful. And this particular flag symbolizes racism and bigotry, so it damn well is worth getting upset about.

• @cipher42 @charismatic110 k, bout symbolism... yet do u need a flag for it? i mean it could b ANY item... no?

• The flag is the thing that carries that symbolism. Yes, any other thing could have negative symbolism too, and it would be just as not okay. But it is worth noting that flags are specifically intended as symbols of certain things, generally used for pride in those things, so they have that particular nuance as well.

It's like language. In the end, words are just random sounds mashed together. But we assign then meaning, and through that they become powerful and able to convey ideas. And any one word could mean something entirely different from what it does if we assigned that meaning to it. But that doesn't change their power. Words, just like symbols, are damn powerful, and that needs to be understood.

• its the flag of a country traitors that commited treason and took up arms against America. Its showing support for their treason. in those terms should probably be illegal

• So much for their Constitutional Right to Free Speech, eh?

• Freedom of speech has limits in the constitution, don't see why symbols of treason shuldn't be included

• It's not supporting slavery or segregation at all. It's taking pride in the general culture, independence, and way of life that the South represents, and that has been passed down from one generation to the next - and especially in contrast to the way of life in northern states. Have the conversation with a contrast of people who fly this flag and you will see that there love goes very deep for their history, heritage, land, freedoms, etc.

• That is why a constitutional amendment would have to have been ratified -- to get past the control of the first amendment.

The first amendment does not occupy a privileged position in the Constitution. Another amendment can set the limits of the application of the first amendment.

That is all academic and moot -- no such amendment would pass in the current (or foreseeable) political environment.

All that remains is for people of good will to deplore the rebel flag and pity the idiots who fly it.

• Cultural relativism is to blame for this.

It's certainly an evil flag. You are right about that.

• Would ya be a yank or foreigner?

i.ebayimg.com/.../$_35.JPG

• "But to me..." Well there ya go. TO YOU that's what it means, not to everyone who owns one of those flags.

Now to be fair, I'm sure some racists do own them for that purpose. But, not all are racist or want to support segregation.

So

• ... Just because you choose to see it as a negative symbol, doesn't mean everyone else does.

Imagine a world wear we couldn't own or wear things based on the views and feelings of others... That would fucking suck

• Many people try to separate slavery from it , and say it was about state rights.
    I am all things that work. I see no purpose in carrying a flag of a defeated nation or cause. It makes you look like a sore loser, that can't get rid of the past.

• I mean technically every flag can have negative connotations, but mm'kay.

• It's just that some people are racist, and support treason and bigotry

• I'm from the north and think that flying the southern flag is s disgrace. You want to show pride, fly your states flag not that southern one

• OK for one the civil war was most definitely not about slavery learn some real history

secondly the flag does not mean slavery it simply is the flag of the other side during the civil war

if anything it stands for like states rights i suppose

but now days people who know nothing of the real meaning or history either say it is support for slavery or a statement that you're a redneck... which in reality are both entirely false

• And yet you'd probably support everyone else waving around their flags

• What? Elaborate.

• Not really. They commited treason. All there symbols should be illegal else your showing support for them. which then makes you against America.

• Some in the US have walked on the flag. Some have burned it. That's more "treasonous" than waving another one.
      I like your (and a couple of other users) politically correct fascism though. It's quaint.

What Girls Said 4

• I honestly have no clue. I question the sincerity and empathy of someone who supports the Confederate flag and associates it with 'Southern pride'. The only 'Southern pride' the Confederate flag has been associated with was the lynching, dehumanizing, degrading, and absolute devaluing of black lives. The Confederate flag is a symbol of a bunch of disgusting, deplorable, entitled white people who wanted to continue treating black people like cattle instead of human beings.
    It's really interesting how some white people act like this is THEIR land to claim when really this is stolen land, a stolen reality, and a stolen existence from Native Americans and Mexicans.

• I don't see anything wrong with it. In my home country it was illegal to even have a Nazi flag. While I don't approve of what the Nazis did, I would like to think that people were free to think as they wanted. Coming to America, it was one of the things that I thought was so great about this country.
    Now, it seems that that is a myth. While I don't really understand much beyond that that was the flag from your south in your civil war, I don't see why someone who likes it shouldn't have every right to display it.
    You can be arrested in this country now for so many "thought police" type crimes. That is how things went in Nazi Germany. Perhaps before you condemn freedom of speech and expression, you should look at the history books of Europe and see where it leads.

• Dude. This ain't about whether it should be legal, it's about why people would even do it. Freedom of speech means you're allowed to say what you want, but it doesn't mean you're not a horrible person for saying it. And even then, there's certain things that aren't necessarily covered under freedom of speech, certain kinds of hate speech being one of those things. As such, it's perfectly reasonable for naziism to not be protected, as that is certainly hate speech, as well as being downright harmful.

• You know that your government now keeps records of your communications and lists your views and political affiliations? Your associates and your buying habits? They actually targeted all people who ever supported Ron Paul and the libertarians. They have all your phone records. That they targeted and blacklisted libertarians should concern you. What happens when they define a political view are offensive or anti American or HATE SPEECH. That was done. It has already happened. This once great country is on the verge of becoming Nazi Germany.

• By the way. I am not a german. I am not a Nazi sympathizer. I am not a racist and my last boyfriend whom I dated for a year was a black man from the US. But I think I can see this more clearly than you do.

• Because they are racist scumbags, it's like we all know exactly what you are so you might as well shave your head bald and get a swastika tattoo while you are at it!

• I don't like it, either. Yeah it's a "southern flag" and all, but there are obvious and negative connotations about it. A boy in my high school a couple of years ago got pulled aside by the principal for having a confederate flag on his shirt, and he was told to change his shirt. I guess "rednecks" think they're all cool and bad for using it, but it always brings negative thoughts to my mind (such as slavery, etc), as well.