How do you feel about a white person attending an African American church?

How do you feel about a white person (or non-black person of color) attending an African American church? Would they be welcome?

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't have a problem with it at all.

Sadly, in light of recent events I think that it'd set off some alarms, though. :(

What Guys Said 15

• Churches welcome all races. Black churches can be a little more entertaining.

• I don't think they'd have a problem, all the black christians I've ever met were all super friendly and would jump at the chance to have you over for dinner, let alone church :P

• Growing up many of my friends were black and went to the baptist church not to far from my house

I didn't want to feel left out so i went by myself a few times
    They were welcoming and didn't really treat my strangely or anything, i was 10 years old

• I wouldn't have a problem with it but it is not the week to try it for first time.

• If I were a Christian I'd want to go to a black church, they're way more exciting than white churches.

• I feel that you can't fight exclusion and racism with exclusion and racism. The same reason I disapprove of female only gyms. Not rocket science there.

• Well, I'd imagine the African-Americans attending that church would be slightly on edge lol

• My great grand parents attented a black church in the 20's when they lived in Washington.

• Now that's interesting!

• they shou;d be. anybody of any race should be welcome in any church.

• White people are gross.

• Where i live they have Full Gospel Assembly churches
    and lot of Baptist Churches have all races go to them
    but i have no problem with it.

• They wouldn't be welcome. My experience has always been negative any time I've tried to be a part of their community. White people aren't welcome, just the way it is.

• I'm white and I live in a predominant African-American neighbourhood and I am welcome in the local church. I believe they welcome any race because I don't believe there is such thing as 'black churches' as it just happens to be the predominant race living in that area.

• I'd hope so #tolerance

• I see no problem with that.

What Girls Said 5

• Segregation is illegal so there are no whites or blacks only churches, at least not ones around legally. Anyway, a person who isn't black would be welcomed into a predominantly black church, most church goers in black churches aren't racist so everyone should be safe.

• Why would I feel anything about that? I've had it done in my life and they were accepted.

People are putting too much emphasis on skin color/standing out though I can see where they would. I would be comfortable in a sea of any type of people. The only time that I was uncomfortable was when I was insecure in high school and I was in a sea of stuck up people (yes they were white, but it didn't matter). If they weren't stuck up and repulsive, I would have felt at home.

• I go to a multicultural church which is where I feel a lot more comfortable but I wouldn't see a problem with it. Now after what has happened people will probably be more skeptical about it.

• I'd feel weird and awkward, but I wouldn't care

• I hope they are welcome