Is it best to read Game of thrones first or watch it?

I plan on reading and watching it but I don't know which to do first. The book is quite big and so it's intimidating to start, I'm also nervous that it wouldn't make sense so watching the show first will help give me a clue. But at the same timing I'm thinking if I read the book first then it can help explain things that tv show often leave out as they don't have time to put everything in.

what do you recommend

Most Helpful Guy

• I ahve watched first four and am threatening to read the books

What Guys Said 1

• Watch then read. Of you read first you might become a pissy book fan that complains when things don't happen the same

• Lol im not that type to complain

What Girls Said 2

• I've watched the first two seasons and read a few chapters from the first book. I feel it's better to watch the show first. It's better if you can visually see and understand what the story's setting is like.

• Oh ok cool, thank you

• Hmm well the TV show isn't the same as the book
    They change things
    Personally I'd read before because otherwise I wouldn't be motivated to read it otherwise