Do you believe in free will, or Predestination?

Rather you believe, in God or not... do you believe that something controls us and knows all of our thoughts and choices before they happened and we are called to be whoever we are... or is it we have choices, and our life is formed only by the immediate choices we make?

• Pre destination
  • free will
Guys this was a good question, many of you really gave me get answers its very hard to choose MHO on this one so forgive me if yours was not chosen.

Most Helpful Girl

• Very interesting question. I think it is predestined as for example, the 16th-century Reformer John Calvin once wrote: “We define predestination as the eternal design of God, whereby he determined what he wanted to do with each man. For he did not create them all in the same condition, but foreordains some to everlasting life and others to eternal damnation.”

What Girls Said 1

• No, i think we have free will. We either choose to do something or we decide not to do it. I think our lives are formed by our right or wrong choices , as well as unforeseen circumstances.

What Guys Said 9

• Has to be free will or there is no point in anything. Any action we take would not be our own, any decision we make would not be our own. It would be impossible to be judged, because we would not be the ones making the decisions. There would be no point in considering morality, because you cannot have morality without choice.

If my actions are predestined, I am not making the choices. If I rob a bank, and there is a god that has already determined that I am to do so, the choice to rob is was not mine, and the moral responsibility was not mine. It was predetermined that I was going to rob the bank, nothing I could do would change that. So how can I be held accountable for simply doing what had to be done according to a plan outside of my control? It's impossible. Predestination removes personal responsibility and all sense of morality.

Likewise the notion of having 'free will', but being punished eternally for making certain choices. Because that is not free will either. If you are presented with two doors, and are told you have the free will to choose either door 1 or door 2... but... if you chose door 2 you will be flayed alive and your family will be tortured and killed in front of your eyes... that is not a choice. That is not free will. You are not being a good person for choosing door 1, you are not being a moral person for choosing door 1, because it is not a free choice. For a choice to be free, the options have to be valid and the person can't suffer consequences for making one choice over another.

Same thing with removing the other options completely. If you have a house with no cookies in it, and now way to get cookies, do you praise a child living there for not eating any cookies? No. That child did nothing moral. If you have a house with cookies, but tell a child you will destroy all of their toys, beat them, and lock them in the cellar if they eat a cookie, is the child worthy of praise for not eating a cookie? No, they had no choice, the punishment is so severe that it is not being 'good' for not eating a cookie, it's just sane. There is no morality in play, only sanity. If you have a house where there are cookies, and you tell the child they can eat the cookie if they want, no problem, but you would prefer it if they didn't, but there would be no punishment if they ate them, no judgement, no consequence, no retribution... just you simply had a preference of one action over the other, then the child has real choice, and real morality.

• Very profound, well thought out argument, are you a lawyer? Bravo sir I tip my hat to you.

• Thank you. No, not a lawyer. A game designer, actually. So I work a lot with systems design and understanding how things work as a collective whole, and how the individual components work within that system.

• Awesome sir... thanxs 😁

• The issue is actually much more complicated than you'd think. There's absolutely great academic article about this that I could recommend you, written by a contemporary philosopher, but unfortunately it's in German.
    I don't believe in free will - but I also don't believe in determination. As an atheist (and humanist), I reject the notion of god and thus the notion that everyone planned out everything for us. This seems extremely silly to me. You can excuse everything with this notion. You can kill somebody and then afterwards say "well, that's just what god planned for me, I couldn't do anything about it". In Jamaica, people don't wear seat belts when they drive their cars because they believe that they can't change god's plans anyway. Very silly.
    However, I also reject the notion of free will as (almost as) silly. The reason why we don't have free will, however, is not god but society and psychological reasons. The German philosopher Immanuel Kant wrote a lot about this topic. In one of his books, he presented a neat little story: One day after work, a man leaves he office and walks home. As he walks through the quiet city, he thinks to himself: "It's strange. In a way, I could do anything I want right now. I could climb on that church steeple and jump down. I could also go and rob a bank. I could visit an old friend. Or I could go to bar and get drunk. I could find a lover and cheat on my wife. Or I could sit just down in this meadow and think about god and the universe. I could even walk out the city walls, travel far away and never come back. Yet, I decide with my free will to go home to my family now and have dinner".
    Of course, the "free will" that this man thinks of as "free" is everything but free. Another German philosopher, Schopenhauer, said, that people are only free in their thinking and their actions insofar as what is a reasonable thing to do in a particular situation. Just like the man in the story, you could now get up, pack together some stuff and start a new life in Japan. Right today. But you won't. Why not? Because your previous life, the life situation you are, the very situation you are in, thousands of factors keep you from actually doing this. Thus, "free will" is largely a concept that people believe to make themselves happy. The truth is that we are victims of ourselves. We our free to make certain decisions but we're also restricted by many things starting from how we were brought up to trivialities as what we ate for breakfast.

• Bravo my friend very interesting concepts I will look into these philosophers... so in short you dont believe in none of the choices... wow thanxs for your well written research on the matter...

• I believe in god but he does not control us in fact he gives us free will, as one of the corner stones of Christianity is that it must be your choice to be a part of it, no one should force you because god wouldn't force you he would let you choose. And even know we have destinies for lack of a better word we can chose not to embrace them and to go a differently way then what god has for us, thus making a new one. But at the end of the day our fates are all the same we're all going to die one day, but what separates us and makes us different si what we plan on doing or doing with the time we have here.

That's my opinion on it anyway.

• I believe in fate but also since we have no idea what is going to happen it appears like we are exercising free will.

• I believe there is pre-destinations we will go towards to, but all those are just chances to use our free will and it depends on us what kind of outcome we create from these chances.

• Pre destination

• I believe humans do whatever they can until some kind of predestination is revealed to them.

• I believe in neither.

• Not interested in predestination as an option, fuck that.

God doesn't exist either, and if he does, he's a dick and unworthy of worship.

• It's you again! lol

• @pyramid_princess

I don't get the God thing, I see it as no different than a woman having a rape fantasy, but religious people are insane enough to find someone to enact it.