Death Sentence?

Ok so im wondering how do you feel about the Death Penalty? Should it even be a choice in some situations or is it too much a despicable act of human kind? In my opinion I believe in only SOME heinous crime should the death penalty take place do you?

Wow this is getting very interesting and I love the different perspectives im getting on this... please cont. to comment more...

Most Helpful Guy

• I could be swayed either way. I can understand both sides of the argument.
    But my opinion right now is that some people that do commit heinous crimes can't be reformed and might as well off them because they'll be a danger to others outside and inside prison.
    I just hope they prove they did whatever crime 100% before doing it. I also think the "insanity" bit is irrelevant.

What Guys Said 12

• As a European, I am very much an opponent of the death penalty. The US is the ONLY developed, industrialized country in the world that still performs the death penalty. In fact, even a lot of countries that are poorer and less developed than the US such as the countries in South America have gotten rid of it. In fact, already today, death penalty is a quickly dying method of punishment. It has already been banned in more than two thirds of the world's countries and more are following every year. If America doesn't get rid of it soon, it will be in the "great" company of lovely, free and democratic countries such as North Korea, China, or Saudi Arabia.
    There is a large number of reasons why it is wrong. Most importantly, I am a humanist and as such, it goes against the most basic principles of my ethical code to kill people. Murder is wrong, not matter how or why you perform it. Murdering somebody who killed your parents might be understandable emotionally but ethically, it is still a murder. What the US government does is nothing else than institutionalized murder. It's the exact same thing that they the prisoners for (which leads to the question whether American politicians and supporters of the death penalty should also go to prison...).
    The death penalty is nothing more than pure, archaic vengeance. Again, emotionally that might be understandable to some degree but it's a disgrace for a country that wants to call itself "civilized", because it's one of the most barbarous things one could think of. Nobody gives you the right to kill somebody.
    Furthermore, the death penalty is in reality MUCH more expensive than life in prison (contrary to what a lot of supporters believe). Also, the innocence-factor is a real probably. Even more so because of a further problem: the racial disparity. It has been proven with numerous studies that black people are considerably more likely to get a death penalty for the exact same crime as white people. A black man who kills a white woman is 9 (!!!) times as likely to get the death penalty as a white woman killing a black man. Not very just, is it?
    Finally, death penalty simply doesn't work. In fact, it probably messes society up much more than it helps. And again, you don't have to take my word for it. Just come to Europe and have a look. Especially in continental Europe , prisoners are treated very nicely. We give our prisoners a job, they can get an educational degree, prisons are modern, clean and more or less

• comfy (sort of like university dorms), they get quite a lot of freedom if they act decently (they have their own kitchen on their floor that they can share with other inmates and things like that), they get to have nice rooms with a computer and tv and books, they can get regular visits and in some countries such as Belgium prisons even have special "suits" that the prisoners can have for a weekend to get a visit from their girlfriend or wife and have a private space to do relationship-things etc. etc. We also don't have any of those ridiculous sentences such as "99 times life" and stuff like that. In my country Switzerland, the longest you can go to prison for is 25 years. It is like this everywhere in Europe . In Norway it is 21 years. NOW despite all these things, Europe has a MUCH lower crime rate AND a much lower rate of ex-convicts to commit crimes again once free. My country Switzerland is one of the safest in the world. How come this is the case if death penalty is so "great"?

• Prisoners watch the news, if you want someone to suffer for what they've done, let them live in jail for the rest of their live. It'll be hell on earth for them. Killing them is just doing them a favor, especially if the crime was rape or something related to kids, since that is one of the things prisoners don't tolerate and will make him pay.

Also it has been proved many many times that death penalty is way more expensive than keeping them in jail, so you're not only making them pay for their crime but also saving money.

• I prefer banished/exiled for life over death sentence.

• I don't think it's even worth it. Lets say there's a serial killer and they're caught. Killing them won't bring the victims back and they probably don't give a fuck anyway and are getting a quick end to their crimes. I say maximum security prison for life, or until you are positive they're truly sorry for their crimes. When they're truly sorry for everything they've done and are begging for forgiveness and stuff, then kill their asses.

• Well I look at it this way its a lot cheaper to just kill them, and if you wanna bring the old argument that they aren't always guilty and that the court gets the wrong person sometimes well regardless having the death penalty or not that is not the problem the problem is the the jury and the corrupt judges.

• No no I agree with the death penalty... you know it costs more to keep them alive then to kill them... and we pay for those criminals to live with our taxes!!

• @bluecoyote and since it was already taken to the supreme court and she was found innocent they couldn't retrial her afterwards and now she is roaming a free murderer.

• Well, these are two things I can agree with you on. Both the jury duty and this rule that you can't open a new trial if somebody has been found not guilty of a crime seem pretty stupid to me too. I don't understand why you would have laymen try to act the role of an educated judge and decide somebody's fate. That's probably also how a lot of racist judgements come to happen. I'm not saying all these amateurs are being consciously racist but it's well possible there are some racist prejudices underneath. Like, if a black gets accused of having dealt with drugs, many of these people who are appointed for jury duty might just say to themselves "I hate being here, it's a waste of time, I've got better things to do, let's just say he's guilty... there's lots of black people involved with drugs anyway". I find that rather disturbing.

• I think we would be better off without it.

• @asker This has already been taken into account. The death penalty costs about 1 million dollars MORE per person if you add up all the costs on both sides.
      But see, even if it was the same cost, hell, even if the death penalty was cheaper, I find this an extremely bad argument. It sickens me that people are trying to defend their morality with how much something costs. And as a continental European citizens, I also get a very uncomfortable feeling in my stomach when you talk about "unfit people to society". Americans talk about this stuff so lightly but you know, we've had this here before. We've had some idiots before who thought they have the god-given right to decide who's fit and who's unfit for society and thereupon killed roughly 10 million jews, gays, handicapped people, sick people and seniors. I am a strong supporter of Kantian thought. I believe that human dignity is untouchable, as it says in the first paragraph of the German constitution. I don't condone evil crimes, but

• neither do I condone this barbarous and uncivilized vengeance of "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth". This is the sort of "justice" that insane people like the Taliban or ISIS support. It seems strange to me that Americans who speak so highly of their (much more enlightened and humanist) founding fathers can support something like this. Again, the death penalty is simply institutionalized murder. If you think it's wrong to kill somebody, it's the logical conclusion that you've got to be against the death penalty.

• Sorry, I wrote this under the wrong comment.

• I believe in capital punishment

• depends on da crime of course!

• Plato's Theory of Justice is pretty much me.

• Depends on the situation really.
    If its like in the US, where you recieve it for Horrific murders and terrorism and shit, Then yeah, Death penalty is alright.
    If its like what Muslims are doing in the middle east and beheading people just for not sharing the same belief as them, then no, its fucking barbaric.

• I think the death penalty now is lenient. Back in the old days there were public hangings, lashes, and whatever you call those things where you stick your head and hands through holes for a period of time. Back then there weren't crimes committed by anyone except those absent mind and heart. Now they are celebrities and is very difficult to live your life without committing a misdemeanor. I'm not saying I'm hateful, but wouldn't the crime committed be more intimidating if there were actual punishment. I mean a child molester will get 10 to 15 and not have to worry about a meal during that time or be absent an a/c or tv; maybe worry about the other prisoners though. people are institutionalized for a reason, some want to go back because it is easier in prison than it is outside. Leniency I find promotes more crime, they can live without responsibility.

• Death penalty is a useful tool for dictators, but doesn't really have a place in democratic societies, in my opinion.

What Girls Said 5

• I don't agree with the death penalty. mainy because I think dying in prison is scarier than slowly falling asleep forever.
    Also if someone is later proved not guilty we can never bring them back to life. (I especially think this because I saw the movie about hurricane carter)
    I just think our whole justice system is messed up. Recently I tea an article about a boy arrested at 16 who was held in prison (couldn't make bail). He never got a court date and say there for three years until eventually they dismissed his case. He also served the longest sentence of solitary confinement in New York State prisons. Which totally conflicts with that innocent until proven guilty idea

• I think that when a person gives notice to society that he is not fit to live within it, that person should be removed. I think for the more serious offenses a speedy execution is a great solution. The executions should, however be public.

• Why do you think they shoukd be public?

• populace and the liberal/socialist politics behind that lead to crime...)

• So, your argument against capital punishment lies with a comparison to the rest of the world. I argue that the rest of the world may not be correct. They also do not have your problems, politics, or increasingly problematic underclass.

• Some people should die.

• If they can be proven guilty then yes they deserve to die some people in this world are so horrible they don't deserve to breath this precious oxygen air

• I live in Texas we have an express lane to death row. I believe in it, I just wish it wouldn't take so long.