Should American be the official language?

I think everyone should speak American.

• yes
  • no

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

What Girls Said 32

• If you even learned English , you would know that there is no language called "American" . It's questions like this that tell other countries that the United States has an overrated opinion of itself when it comes to how other countries should kowtow to their needs, speaking English when they go abroad or when they communicate with someone from other countries otherwise - done in English instead of them making an effort to learn a word or two in the country they are going to visit. Even simple words and phrases that are courteous such as "please" and "thank you" in other languages seem to be a chore for an English-speaking American to learn with this sort of attitude. You definitely need to spend more time out of America to objectively see what the rest of us do when selfish questions like this come up. I know it won't get MHO but I can't keep my mouth shut with this sort of ignorance.

• Actually, if you did a little more travelling, you might realize that please and thank you are used widely in the US... and we tip too... while in many European cultures, please and thank you are less used and they don't tip. This is what you get from societies that arose from class-based feudalism. You know, the sort of countries that need to create empires that fall apart and cause problems in their wake. Countries that are, in fact, more bigotted and racist than the US. Countries that don't have their shit so they start wars with each other resulting in tens of millions dead... until the US decides to intervene, end the wars, and rebuild those societies. You're welcome.

• No need to prove further American arrogance, which is what you just did. I've been all over the world and I am well aware of what you Americans "tip" not just a few dollars because your own country can't establish a system where people know how to pay employees, in Europe there is no need for it, tips on how we should be more like you is simply laughable. The whole "oh we end wars you should be so thankful" such a predictable excuse for your laziness and disrespect toward other nations. I live here and hear it for myself the actual English words of "please" and "thank you" when Americans are struggling with German-speaking merchants. I get it, when "please" and "thank you" seem to be the *only* offering of their language American English speakers learn, and if you read my comment, I'll repeat, it's a chore for them to try and even get two courteous phrases down. I'm not here to have a competition for who's the bigger bigot, American. But keep up the arrogance, you only prove my point.

• What the hell did I just read? You do know "American" isn't a language, and there's different parts of the America's so we could end up speaking Spanish if the language is going to be "American".

• Yes, because we all know 'Murica is the shining beacon of hope for the world.

PS. I'm kidding. Fuck no, it shouldn't.

• Random question: Who's the one in your profile pic? It looks a bit like Ultear from Fairy Tail

• Is that the reporter Light dated? She and Misa were like the only girls in the story

• Yes. She helped him spread Kira's message for a while.

• Damn rednecks

• You mean English . Also no.

• Yes. When I went to England, I was wondering why they spoke American

• *bald eagles screeches in distance*
    Joking aside, that my friend, is ignorant nationalism at it's peak.

• Firstly American doesn't exist and secondly if you strip a country if it's language and culture (eventually) the. You deny them their identity. But I agree it would make everything easier.

• You mean English?
    Yes.

Especially if they are in a English speaking country.

• I didn't know that there was an "american" language. I thought it was English ...

• No, you mean American as in a dialect of English , right? - English actually already is the 'world language' so most countries are taught to speak English in school - but limiting the English language to only a single dialect would be wrong, in my opinion.

• lol, American is not a real language. You meant English . Try again. And you don't need to tell other countries what language they should be speaking, either.

• Oh good grief !

• I do speak abit of American, i love the burgers, grease, twerking, say bitches, hoes, and would like everything.

Everyone should speak American.

• It's called English .

• Yes because American is totally a language.

• I'm American and I think that's dumb. I think learning languages makes you more tolerant because I forces you to learn about other peoples culture.

• American IS NOT A LANGUAGE!! It's both a demonym and a nationality.
    Nationality when refering to the people from the United States of America.
    Demonym when talking about the people from the American continent (or Americas as some people know it).

• English , I used to think that everyone should have to learn English . But I think different languages are cool, and it's cool to learn them. Plus, languages are a part of other peoples culture

• I didn't know American is a language. I could've sworn we speak English .

• What? no. .

• I think you'll find "American" is actually English .

• No never it should not be.

• No, that would be a loss for many cultures in the world

• English is simple language. For this reason i like English

• Smh, what you're referring to would be a dialect of English , not the language.

• I voted B because 'American' isn't actually a language

• American isn't a language.

• More from Girls
    2

What Guys Said 46

• You do realize that English is the official language of the proceedings of the United Nations. English is also the official language used for in flight communications between pilots and ground control. English is also the official language of many standards setting bodies including the IEEE, the IETF, the ITU. Furthermore, while not holding official status, English is the language of international business.

In all of that context I don't know what your beef is unless it it is merely displaying your ignorance.

Yeah, that's probably it.

• "American" is not a language. The United States is part of the English-speaking world for obvious historical reasons. The English language has always been a unifying force in America, as historically immigrants from non-English speaking countries recognized that the burden was on them to learn our language. That has changed, however, and that isn't a good thing for our country.

• The fact that you would post a question like this and hide behind the cloak of anonymity strongly suggests that you are a troll, probably not American, trying to stoke the fires of anti-American sentiment.

• Have you seen the answer I've selected as most helpful?

• If you mean in America then yes. If you mean around the world then no.

• No, everyone should speak antarctican

• Absolutely! Except of course American isn't entirely correct, considering the vast multitude of American Languages, such as Athabascan/Na-Dene in Canada and SW USA and Cherokee -- central USA, etc. So maybe we should regionalize it instead? Or have that be their main language and English be their second for legal purposes and travel purposes.

• 2|0
    • Wait... What if this guy meant the language that natives were speaking before all the British barbarians and rejects from all over the world rolled in?

• Yes of course

• American English? I will say yes.

• English is actually the language but it is not proper English , few people actually speak it anymore.

• Definitely Yes , That's why I want to be an American. Everyone should speak American English! That's the only way to unified!

s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/.../...0ca64b6a9b.jpg

• There is American English but they reckon Spanish will be the most popular language before long.

• Lel its like saying everyone should speak Mexican. Mexican and American is a race. English and Spanish are languages.

• Nationality my friend, Americans aren't a race.

• Haha I can sense the sarcasm.

• @veronica44 its true ma baby Veron 😅
      How can i show u that ma heart is bigger the sun and a LUV vastly than the ocean? U have capture ma heart but even if im no Prophet, i can envision our future together baby Veron 🌹

• I started laughing my ASS off, American isn't a language.

• American? You mean Spanish? They're part of America, too. The continent, that is.

• lol. this question is hilarious. American isn't even a language, we speak English .
    lolololol. "american"... fml

• Lol except American isn't a language English is.

• That's a horrible idea and you should feel bad for coming up with it. 😛

• Noone speaks American. Also what gives the right for one country to impose itself on another.

• I think the world is in dire need for a new language. English is too limiting. There are newer forms of ideas that can't be expressed through English . A new universal language is necessary.

• America can fuck itself in the mouth

• No because then the whole world what have to accommodate for your lack of learning a new language why go to Japan or Mexico if you don't speak their language. Or should everyone have to learn English because maybe just one day they might run into a English only speaking gent in Beijing?

• American is a language? Ummm interesting.

• I prefer Queen's English . The accent is really quite something.

• Nah dont think so :/

• It will always be English . It was created in England

• I really don't care what you lot do, it doesn't concern me.

• First we'd have to come up with another language and name it American.

• I think everyone should speak dutch :-)

• More from Guys
    16