What do you think about Dylan Roof?

Some people think he's a crazy terrorist and some people think he was just misguided. 1-2 years ago, I went through a phase where I could do the same to some certain ethnicities I hated, but I was 12, not 21. I think they gave him the wrong ideas and he's completely sane.

I read he almost gave up on shooting because everyone was so nice to him. But he decided to "carry on the mission". I thought it was stupid to forgive him when I first read the families' reaction, but now I understand why they're doing this. He had the potential to be a better person, now he's going to spend his life in prison. Those families are true people of faith and I couldn't admire them more for the forgiveness they're showing for a man who took the life of their loved ones.

Most Helpful Guy

• These cases always make me wonder - Had he a mental problem which meant he was always likely to do this - Was todays society always going produce a racial attacker - I think the fact the victims families had deep religious faith meant they had more likely toforgive than others might do. I don't think that I could have forgiven so easily.

What Guys Said 4

• What I want to know is why his roommate didn't tell someone that Dylan was planning a spree killing? His roommate admitted that Dylan had been planning something like the church shooting for at least six months. So, why did he not alert the local authorities? I honestly will not buy the because he was scared excuse. Because the right thing to do is alert your local authorities when you know someone is planning something like that.

• Maybe he didn't take him seriously?

• It's better to take things like that seriously and be proven wrong, than it is to not take them seriously and do nothing.

• If cops are going to go about killing people willy nilly, then Dylan Roof is the type of person they should be murdering in my opinion. That's not to say I condone murder but if they're going to focus their prejudice on a certain type of people it should be little terrorists like Dylan.

• If an unarmed black guy can be killed for a broken taillight, then someone like Dylan Roof shouldn't be led out after murdering innocent people in a bullet proof vest for his safety, you're right :)

• He deserve to be in prison

• Just a phase! :D

What Girls Said 1

• I understand why the families are forgiving him and I respect them a lot for doing it, but I know that I would never be able to do that if he'd done that to me. I don't care if he 'almost gave up', the point is that he didn't, he slaughtered innocent people due to his own hatred and misguided ideas. I couldn't forgive him for that, nor can I rationalise what he did :/

• I do understand the mindset because I used to think that way, I could kill people because of who they were. I would definitely kill for Greece. I grew out of it quickly, thank God, but some people don't. He's an example.

• I understand. When I was younger I was raised around homophobes, so I'd say really homophobic things as a little kid. Then I grew up and realised I was bisexual :) But yeah, he didn't grow up and learn that he was wrong, which is the issue.