Are you ever embarrassed about your heritage or race?

• Yes
  • No
  • I don't care

Most Helpful Girl

• honestly yes i know there are a lot of good white people but there are also many bad ones because when will some people learn
    31.media.tumblr.com/.../...5s4OjM1tjro1qo3_400.gif

And then in the comments section on YouTube, you’ll see:

“Blacks are so aggressive”

“They’re animals”

“Typical N*ggers”

“N*ggers are violent”

But those SAME idiots REFUSE to take into account that these “pranksters” almost always target Black people in predominantly Black areas looking for a reaction like that to capitalise on 😕 it makes me sick.

Reminds me of the episode with those fools on OckTV that went into a “hood” and told racist jokes for laughs….. Naturally, in a community like that where everyone is on edge, you’re gonna be met with hostility, and boy that’s what they were met with! As per, the YouTube comments mirrored those above ^^^

When will they leave Black people alone and stop looking for trouble in the “hood” to reinforce a certain stereotype on YouTube?
    Shout out to ole boy in the car who didn’t miss a second to chase down and beat his ass.
    Racist white terrorism is what this is. It’s about proving that “black people really are these criminal, bad hyper aggressive creatures”. The point of this is “Watch me, make this black person get violently upset.” this is gaslighting, this is abusive, this is not a prank. This is white folks going around terrorism black people, the only difference is that instead of physically lynching them afterwards, it’s an social lynching, through perpetuating the status quo of how non-human black people really are.

What Guys Said 23

• No, certainly not about my ethnicity. I don't care about different ethnicities. To me, they're all the same. So I'm neither proud on my ethnicity nor do I feel embarrassed about it. In fact, the whole concept of feeling proud or embarrassed about one's ethnicity seems very strange to me... it seems to me like being proud of your eye color or something like that. If you walked up to somebody and said "I'm soooo proud of my green eyes", they'd probably reply "uhm... okay. Good for you I guess?" or if somebody says "I'm so embarrassed to have green eyes" the other person would say "okay... that doesn't make any sense to me but okay". That's exactly the way people should talk and act when it comes to ethnicity.
    As for heritage... there are some things about my culture and the mentality of my people that, well, not really embarrasses me but that annoys me quite a lot. But then again, there's also some things that I find really cool about my country's mentality. So, it's not really being proud or embarrassed about it, it's more like being happy or unhappy about it.

• My heritage or race doesn't determine who I am as a person. I am an individual, not a general black guy you see. I am my own person, not "one of those people". Shit, I'm who I am, not just a King (Which is my last name).

• Every time there's some kind of mass shooting, I immediately think "Don't be a white guy again... don't be a white guy again... don't be a white guy again..."

Then I turn on the news to find out and it's like...
    http://youtu.be/HhuXxkfr3PE

• No culture is perfect.

As a black man in the USA, it is rather sad when I witness other black people who still live with mental slavery. Truly believing deep down that they are "less than" and unable to achieve high goals.

If u internet search "mental slavery", you will find some interesting articles and blog posts!

• There is no such thing as race, scientificly speaking. There is no way to determine there race geneticly or otherwise. That said no, I do not feel shame. But then I only acknowledge and take pride in the acomplishments and ideas of humanity as a whole. Every patch of dirt is just like any other and I see no reason to distinguish myself by which patch I or my ancestors may or may not have been born on.

• Yes, I look white, but my last name is mexican. I don't like it and plan on changing my name one day.

• No. I know they're not perfect, but they're not awful either. They made mistakes, just like everyone. Plus, it wasn't me who made those mistakes, so I don't have to feel embarrassed about anything.

• I am proud of my heritage/race.

• When people act the irish eejit for the tourist

• Nope. The past is the past, and the end result is still that countries involved in Western Civilization has consistently been the best places to live at pretty much any time in history.

And slavery in America? Sure, it was bad. Yet I'm fairly sure that blacks living in America have it far better off than blacks living in Africa.

• No, despite the best efforts of our public education system (I'm American, and I'm white). I don't think we should *forget* these episodes from our past, obviously, but I don't believe people should be made to apologize or to feel guilty or to *pay* for what others who bore a superficial resemblance to them did generations before they were born.

• I'm a native Englishman, descended from the ancient ancestors of the Basques in Spain. Why would I be embarrassed about being who I am? Nothing my people did is a reflection of my character, and there's a lot more beautiful English history than there is ugly history.

What one white person does isn't on me, either, and I don't look at other people as 'my people' or my 'brothers and sisters'. My brother is my brother; some random white dude is not my brother.

• Commenting to add: It seems like I've contradicted myself in the above. When I said 'my people' all I meant were historical Englishmen; I don't even view other English as 'my' people.

• No I am a proud man

• I'm proud to be Dutch, and I think someone can only be embarrassed about their decisions in life.

• Of course not I have a proud heritage and family history and I am proud of it.

• why, what good would that do? honestly there is no point in feeling bad or being angry about something that happened in the past. you can't change what they did, the only thing you can do is live your life

• Never! I'm very proud of it :D
    #Underdogs

• No I am not.

• Im proud to be born in the USA, I love my country but im cautious of my government. Im Portuguese American, i enjoy my Portuguese culture as well, beautiful country and islands, peaceful country, family heavy culture.

• I am embarrassed that my race becomes a minority, slowly being extinct.

• Naa ha it is a little awkward being the only person around with an Irish accent though buut I've learned how to use it to my advantage :p

• Since I'm in a predominantly white area, I feel like I need to represent South Korea

• Very rarely.

What Girls Said 17

• No Never. Even though I encountered racists, I still don't.

• Tbh sometimes I do feel a little embarrassed about being white. I mean is that bad for me to say? It's just sometimes when we learn about everything we did to slaves and whatnot I guess I just feel ashamed to be white even though I did nothing wrong I guess. I don't know that's just me.

• It is wrong, factually speaking. Africans had slaves, so did middle easterners. In fact whites where taken as slaves by them, its where we learned how to create a slave trade. We bought slaves from Africans because unfortunatley the various tribes had plenty of wars and blood feuds with eachother. The fact is there is no people in this world who were not slave owners at one point in time, and slaves at another. The fact is to believe otherwise would, well one, go against all the historical evidence we have and, two, would mean that we couldn't be equals because it would mean that caucasins would be morally inferior to every one else. The sad part about this is we can tell that every one is equal not by there achievments, but by there sadly human failings.

• Not every dumb person is representative of black people nor every good person.

• never! i love talking about it.

• I've never been embarrassed because I don't celebrate my race or heritage at all, but I do get embarrassed when people automatically assume I'm Irish because I'm a ginger. I'm German; Germans have red hair too. I also hate being called ginger. I for some reason think it's really rude.

• Yes actually we pretty much caused every form of discrimination

• Yeah but that was long ago, dont live with guilt that we disnt cause.

• No infact we have not, the irony is this statement itself is descrimination. Slaves existed in every culture in the world and by extention slave owners. Every group of people descrimated every other at some point in time. In fact it is even arguable that whites where the first to adopt the mentality of non descrimination. Aztecs had a slave state, as did the mayans. Whites bought African slaves off of African slavers. There were places in the middle east that allowed slavery even up until the 1970s. Only whites are expected to feel bad for past transgressions. Mean while it was western medicine that boosted peoples life spans and health, adopted by middle eastern philosophys. The only real diffrences are that our transgressions are still being talked about, and that our culture became dominant.

• there's no "perfect culture"...

• I am middle eastern assyrian. So Christian. I always have to say that I'm Christian before I reveal my ethncity because of some serious fucktards

• I'm proud of my heritage.

• I'm not embarrassed about my heritage but sometimes I'm embarrassed to be an American.

• No, but a user on here tried to make me feel ashamed. His/her logic was stupid, so they failed.

• You talking about me? I'm surprise you still remember that!

• @hypno-trip I have no intentions of posting the individuals name (including if it was you) because it serves no purpose other than hurting them (which I'm not interested in).

I remember every conversation I've had on here.

• No, I am not.

• I don't care what people say about them.

• Nope, I'm not :)

• No, I am not. I am not proud of it either. It is something of no significance to me.

• I am embarrassed to be human sometimes... humans can be so cruel to each other and so destructive to nature and vicious and deadly to all the animals. So not my race, per se, but definitely my species.

• Yet were also the only species that activley tries to protect nature as well. We have people who feel guilt over eating meat. Imagine a lion or wolf feeling guilt over killing an animal to eat. Our destructive tendencies are not generally malicious in nature but are rather due to short sightedness and admitedly hubirs, since we think we know so much and then after implementing a decision we find out that we knew so little. In fact, the very fact that you criticise us (as do a lot of people) shows that we are good, we may be failures but we do care and we do try.

• Some of us do try to help, yes. I was more referring to the experimenting, and fur farms, and dolphin slaughters, and putting orcas in swimming pools etc. The cruel things we do to the animals that are so unnecessary. I don't mind eating meat on occasion if I know they were humanely treated when they were alive. And while we may be the only ones trying to save the earth, we are also the only ones actively destroying it. And each other. Why, after thousands of years, are we still carrying on war after war, butchering each other?

• not really... I'm generally proud of my family, except for a few ancestors (not in my immediate family) who were Nazi's, and in the SS during the holocaust.

That isn't something I like people to know