Do you listen to foreign or watch foreign movies?

For many people in western Europe (except from Britain perhaps), it's quite normal to also listen to music which is both foreign and non-American (because American music is probably the most popular one). Many people also like to watch non-American movies. I come from Switzerland and I listen to a lot of American music (I'm into American country for example) and also to Swiss music. But I also love music from other countries and in other languages. I listen to Italian music (especially Andrea Boccelli, Eros Ramazotti and Laura Pausini), Greek music, French, German, Spanish, some Koren and some Japanese. I would like to get know some more good Arabic music because Arabic can actually be a very beautiful language when it's sung nicely by a nice voice. As for movies, I mostly watch American movies (both Hollywood and independent ones) because my country doesn't really have a decent movies industry. But I also really enjoy watching German and Scandinavian (especially Swedish) movies. And also some east Asian ones. I love how the way scenes are filmed and the atmosphere in movies is drastically different in different countries. For example Germany and Sweden are awesome at producing dramas. The atmosphere in these dramas is very different from American dramas. It's not melodramatic but super somber. It's like... very, very serious and when you're done with the movie you feel like a heavy rock is sitting on your chest ;-). But they also tend to be very thought-provoking.
Anyways... I'm wondering... do you also like foreign music and movies?

Most Helpful Guy

• Usually I listen to genres of music I like, not nationalities. In the U. S. music from other places isn't as widespread because they never play shows here unless they're already successful. So it's mostly American, British, or Canadian for me. Latin music is pretty popular here too, just not for me.

Movies are a different story. Non-American movies are all over the place here and I actively search for them. I like the occasional Hollywood movie but the creativity of them in the past 20 years has gotten abysmal. Each country has a certain style and lately my favorites have mostly come from Australia and New Zealand. France releases a ton of movies, but they can be as hit-and-miss as American movies. The U. K. makes excellent gangster movies. German and Scandinavian cinema is heavy on drama and tends to get morose so you have to be ready for it. Even the fun ones manage to throw in some downers somehow. Russian movies are kind of grandiose, good and bad. Movies from Spain and the few I've seen from South America are good at developing mood and tension, even if the plot and characters aren't. Japanese cinema is often good but is a little hung up on the "slow=dramatic" theory, and sometimes relies on the viewer to read the mind of the characters to understand what they're thinking and feeling. If the viewer doesn't share the same culture as the filmmaker, this method doesn't work as well as SHOWING the viewer what the character feels and thinks.

Other countries I haven't seen enough to recognize a style.

What Girls Said 6

• I don't watch movies much but if I am in the mood, (aside from Hollywood movies) I watch South Asian movies, currently interested in Uzbekistan movies.

I have wanted to listen to Arabic music but I am very unfamiliar with it and can't find any good ones.

• Yes, I listen Italian, Spanish, French, English , Georgian music. What about books and movies I read and watch in English/Russian/Georgian

• I am dutch, I listen to spanisch music, french music, American and British music.
    I watch movies from all countries, but spoken in English or french

• I like French comedies.

• I watch korean, japanese, chinese , Spanish movies. Same is for the music.

• I like to try a bit everything. *cough* fuck you brits *cough*

What Guys Said 3

• I watch a lot of foreign language usually european movies.

• I like French movies (duh).

• I binge on Akira Kurosawa films, but I don't really watch many foreign films. Not since my film analysis class anyway. I'm sure they are wonderful though.