Is being bilingual praised in your country?

Since most Turks speak horrible English , I'm often praised for my advanced level of English . But I don't speak any other languages than English and Turkish. In some countries like Belgium, most people are polyglots and two languages aren't that impressive.

Would you mind adding where you live?

Most Helpful Guy

• I have always been impressed with Filipinos. They know their native language of Tagalog, and most also know Spanish and English .

In America, there is a feeling of being superior and not needing to know any other language. And the tourists from here visiting other countries often project that arrogance by expecting everyone there to understand them, and if they don't, the tourist yells louder thinking that will make them understand. I have little language skills other than English , but always tried at least a few works. I found that people in foreign countries would pretend to not speak any English till the tourist actually tries to speak the host tongue, then suddenly they will open up and speak excellent English .
    I am impressed by those who speak more languages, but for the most part, only business people who need to speak other languages for their business would praise that ability.

What Guys Said 10

• In most European countries, most people learn English as a child in an advanced learning environment (sometimes with native English speakers) so it's much easier for them to pick up unlike people who may not have a great education (not bagging out Turkey, I don't know what education is like there at the moment).
    But honestly, to someone like me who never learned a second language, it is pretty impressive to speak more than any one language. I'm studying some German in my own time from home and sometimes I'm befuddled by how people can do it so easily.

• It's pretty fucking horrible, no one is going anywhere with school English . I don't take your comment personally, because I was really into America as a kid and I taught myself the language. I just slept or read a book at English classes.

• School English is great for learning the basics. To grasp basic sentence structure and whatnot, but it isn't great for learning region-specific English for example.
      But good on you for teaching yourself. English is a difficult language to learn if it's not your first, so I've heard.

• In America being bilingual is smart and (while you may not be praised) people will seem interested in your knowledge. I know German, which is not so helpful here in America, but is useful when I go on mission trips and is interesting to people who don't

• Most are bilingual here in Sweden so it's not considered a big deal. Speaking 3-4 languages are pretty common to. Basic education here.

• I already couldn't get in that Swedes-only celebration at the Swedish consulate so will you stfu and stop pushing an inferiority complex on me. Gosh.

• You asked a question and I answered. Not my fault that language is basic education here and not considered a big deal. There more to life than speaking tons of languages you know.

• Yes by older folks, but sometime some sensitive ass people get mad and paranoid thinking you're talking about them in a different language.

• Most people in Ireland only speak English .

• I grew up speaking two languages. I have a good knowledge of French as well and want to learn Spanish.

• In America it's an achievement because everyone is used to English . In China it's only impressive if you can speak English otherwise not really...

• Canada, most people are unimpressed; Lots offended depending on what language you speak.

I'm supposed to be bilingual but I didn't grow up around enough French people to retain the French language.

• My English is horrible and I am still trying to learn how to write and speak better, but I plan on learning other languages because I can read in English , Spanish and Portuguese, and maybe I can try Italian or another language.

• In America people like English and most of the time Spanish. Most people who speak more are looked at as annoying over achievers

What Girls Said 3

• I live in Australia currently, but I don't know about it. Back in my home country Malaysia, everyone is bilingual, it only depends on the level of their English . Some are trilingual, adding on Chinese. But I started to self learned Italian and French when I was 14.

• Does that impress Malaysians?

• Not really. The people here aren't interested in these languages. Teens my age would want to learn Korean because of kpop or Japanese because of anime or some sort. That's what I know from my friends.

• not so much..

• Not at all, everyone speaks at least two languages here.