Hypothetical question for atheists?

Say you worked at a factory that is designed to produce white pieces of paper, everyday you look at the assembly line and you see the same piece of paper going by and by and by, then one day you see something surprising, you stop the assembly line and you see a beautiful painting of something very specific on one of the pieces of paper, how would you think about this? Would you conclude that, however mysterious, somebody must have drawn it, or would you dismiss it as "chance"?

And if you would conclude the former, why wouldn't you apply the same logic to an intelligent designer and life on earth?

This question isn't for the light atheist, this question is for the fundamentalist atheist.

Most Helpful Girl

• I would see it as a pure coincidence and I would believe it has been the only painting that ever came out either - since I do apply this logic to earth it all makes sense to me, I like to believe in facts and science rather than mystery - maybe because the thought of an existence of a god or gods scares me. But since I believe in science I am almost 100% certain that earth is not the only planet with life in this universe (just think about the sandgrain size of it that we actually know and we are already a planet with life on it!) To me the only reason why "god" actually exists in religion is history - the human race has always been intelligent but due to the lack of advancement and science back in the day people just couldn't make sense of what they didn't understand, that's why they invented "god" (religion was just added to it to corrupt and to set people of different believes against each other in my opinion) And now since we finally have the ways to explain these mysteries there just isn't any reason to my to still believe in god anymore. I can see that it gives many people hope though. So yeah, this should pretty much explain my view point - just because I am atheist doesn't mean I don't believe in an afterlife or extraterrestrial life by the way...

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 5

• We do not see the same piece of paper going by and by and by. We see a CHAOS of papers of all kinds in all colors.

• i'd assume it was a prank mostly... but still we have not any proof bout god's x-istance bro... :|

• So if someone had to make the life and the earth, why is god exempt from this reasoning?

Who made god?

• God could reveal himself and everyone would believe in his existence but he his signs are subtle

• Religion requires no proof and can claim anything. A religious person would be equally happy assuming it was painted, and another assuming a miracle, another chance... and without evidence, they'd still be willing to kill one another for their belief (rather arrogant of them, no?).

As an atheist, I'm not going to assume anything. I'll take the humble path. I'm going to start asking questions and seeking answers. I want to get to the truth of the matter (meanwhile avoiding the violent persecution of "believers").