Am I being unreasonable for being angry at my dad for his addiction to smocking?

So because my dad smokes a lot, he had to have surgery and smoking made him unhealthy. So I decided that I should evaluate how much he should have. He told me that he usually smokes around 13/day. And at the beginning, it was my fault because I though by giving him 9, he would just get used to it. But once I realized that that's not how it works, I started giving him 12 per day. But then I see a box of cigerrates in the house with more than 12 inside. and now my dad no longer cares. When he's done, he just tells me to give him an extra one. Before, when I was giving him 9, he told me that he smokes far less than he used to. But now, he no longer cares and it hurts me because he's ruining his health and that makes me really depressed. He's always dependent on pills just to feel better, and I feel like he's always depressed. I Want to help him but I just don't know how. And I feel like the more he chooses to smoke more, the more it's making me feel angry because I believe in him more than he seems to. I understand that ending addiction is hard, but it's the fact that he no longer cares about it tht makes me frustrated. He's hurting himself by smoking, and he's not the only one affected by it.

Most Helpful Guy

• He has to quit because HE wants to. You are doing your best to support him but unless he decides to stop, he won't.

• I just don't get how addiction can be so powerful to the point that someone would rather risk their health than quit smoking

• I suppose you're right

• Sorry it's not better news.

What Guys Said 4

• Yeah because of the health concerns

• You are right to be concerned, but you also need to realize that he will not quit for anyone but himself. I spent many years trying to get my mother to quit and it an exercise in futility.

• Your right to be concerned. He is being inconsiderate of you by smoking. People don't think of the emotional turmoil they will cause if they die from unhealthy life styles.

• It's really his choice, but you're not being unreasonable; you're only showing your concens

• yea but his choices are also affecting the people around him. Everytime I see him smoking, I'm reminded of the fact that he's depressed and that makes Me depressed. I want him to be happy, but I don't know if I could since he misses his old life and I can't bring that back

What Girls Said 3

• I think you are absolutely right to be angry. In my personal opinion, I think people who smoke are so goddamn selfish. There are so many people in this world who get diseases such as cancer, just by unfortunate chance when they don't even smoke or drink and there are people who are legit killing themselves just to get a buzz. by the way, every cigarette takes 20 minutes off of your life, so really do your best to knock some sense into him.

• I would be angry if my parents smoked. But sadly its their choice

• so none of your parents smoke?

• you're lucky

• I know. I'm sorry. I would just keep convincing him and explaining how you feel about it. Give him a wake up call

• NO! That's not unreasonable at all! He shouldn't smoke! No-one should!