What exactly does the phrase 'that's a thing' mean?

Does it mean that it exists or that people do that (whatever it is) ... ?

Most Helpful Guy

• "Does it mean that it exists or that people do that (whatever it is) ... ?"

That's basically it.

If I were to say "Oral sex and marmalade, that's a thing." I'd just be conveying that, bizarre as it seems, people actually do that (or it's actually a thing that happens).

• So why don't people just say the first thing and don't mention the part where 'that's a thing' because saying it actually makes a bit of sense and it's inherently understood that it happens? O. o

• Oh... cool. I get it.
      ^-^

• Thanks for MHO

What Guys Said 4

• My interpretation of "That's a thing" would be talking about a current trend. For example reality shows on MTV, "Thats a thing now"

• Probably just a term someone made up for whenever a trend pops up like if rollerblading got really, really popular all of a sudden someone would say that's a thing, or something along those lines.

• I think it means something like "that's a true statement" and slightly towards "that's an issue". So a slightly negative meaning... I think.

• It's the same as saying "Well look at that.". It's just the realization of seeing something that has caught your attention.

What Girls Said 3

• It means its popular enough to be accepted by a large group of people - maybe not by a majority but by a significant number of individuals.

• Say I say I twisted my ankle after that I would say so that's a thing. It's like saying so that happened

• It means "It's just something people do" or "That just happened and I'm mildly shocked". It's basically a sentence void of any meaning.