Do you think foreign aid is worthwhile expense in American?

Personally I think the United states budget can do without worrying about sending money overseas to help other nations when we clearly have issues with hungry/homeless people here. I say help our nation and than worry about the latter.

Most Helpful Guy

• In relation to the U. S budget which is around $3.5 - $4 trillion annually, America only spend about 1% of that budget to foreign aid, which is pretty small (especially in relation to our GDP). If a minuscule portion of our money goes to other countries in the effort to save lives and prevent social conflicts, then I see no harm in helping out countries who need a hand.

Now the percentage of money we spend on welfare and federal agencies that serve no purpose (I'm looking at you Department of Homeland Security) is a another matter.

• Well I think notnothing is a well oiled machine... yes you can say welfare is a flawed system especially when say your paying out cash assistance to a drug dealer who makes his income illegally and without a paper trail. But the system does help out people who really need it and it's a shame that there are people out there who exploit it.

• I agree. The welfare system is by far the most abused and taken for granted system in our country. People who aren't even looking for a job can still apply for welfare and be set for life. And don't even get me started on poverty stricken women who go out and produce 25 kids, knowing damn well that they can't take care of them. And for each kid they bring into this world, their welfare check increases.

I understand that welfare does good, because there are a lot of good people who truly need that money to help them get back on their feet. My only problem is when those who aren't even trying to better themselves can still receive a check that's more then my paycheck. We seriously need some restrictions on welfare, so we can weed out the unproductive members of society.

• Yeah I agree we need a system in place to really screen recipients for welfare or any assistance program for that matter. There in lies the problem I'm sure... the government does not want to pay out on the extra expense to accomplish this even though it can save them more money in the long run.

What Girls Said 1

• God, no. The US still gives aid to China! Another thing that makes no sense is that the US buys Chinese Bonds and we buy theirs. So we loan them money and they loan us the same money back... both paying interest to each other.

• It's funny we can loan money out when in debt

• funny that the US taxpayer pays interest on that massive debt to people who owe us money. Makes one wonder who is getting rich in such a "shell game". (Goldman Saks, JPMorgan, Politicians, Obama and his handler Warren Buffet)...

What Guys Said 3

• Foreign aid is necessary to keep people alive - A lot of people would die if developed countries stopped giving aid

• If the US wasn't spending money on foreign aid, the rest of the world wouldn't put up with its bullshit.

• i agree our government should focus on its citizens not everybody else but clearly our government does not give a flying thunder fuck about us unless we aren't going to pay them.