Tattoo help, will it fade or will it be fine?

I got my tattoo done about 5 months ago maybe more and I am probably worrying about nothing but I'm going abroad and just wondered if I need to take extra care when in the sun? It's my only tattoo and I'm worried that it could fade badly due to no protection. If anyone could explain the rules or what to do I'll be so greatful :)

Most Helpful Guy

• Tattoos will always fade. It has very little to do with being in the sun though.

There is ink in your skin. White blood cells try to eat it away (because it doesn't belong there) but ink cells are for the most part larger than white blood cells, so they fail. Over time the ink cells will degrade (become smaller and/or split into parts) allowing the white blood cells to take care of them.

That is also how tattoo removal works - they don't actually remove the ink, they destroy the ink in your skin, turning the ink particles into much smaller ones, so that over time your white blood cells can clean it up.

What Guys Said 3

• Exposure to the sun will always slowly help the fading process. Just try not to worry about it and if it isn't a super detailed piece then get it touched up when it fades to the point that you dislike it.

I have a decent sized black and white tattoo and I go out in the sun without protection and noticed mine has a faded a little bit, but since it's just black and white it's easier to touch up.

• Just protect it as if it was normal skin and you should be okay

• You can use sunscteen... other than that depends on your skin and ink quality. but it won't fade this soon

What Girls Said 1

• Tattoos fade it's a part of the process. You'll have to go in to get it touched up at some point in your life. But to further protect it from any damage the sun may cause it, put sunscreen on it.