What kind of people like to smoke marijuana/joints/ pot/weed/cannabis? And what do they generally think of when smoking it?

Just asking out of curiosity because I often hear a lot of GAGers mention in their posts that they smoke it but I have literally never seen or heard anyone in my real life smoking it.

Thank you so much for your input.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have never smoked it. That makes me rarer than hen's teeth here in CA. From what I can tell you that I have observed anecdotally is that users and former users seem to make up a cross-section of the general population.

This includes those of significant career progression like former President Bill Clinton, University professors, etc.. as well as those of no progression. I think that should answer your question about what kind of people smoke it.

As for what kind of people *like* to smoke it, as in for multiple years on a regular basis, I can tell you that these individuals are, umm, not that well progressed even though they can still be quite smart. The ambition inhibiting effects of pot eventually take its toll. The ones I know of just find it relaxing. My own insight on this is that there could be an emotional / spiritual disharmony they are 'fixing' with it.

As to what they generally think of when smoking it, I think just about anything really as a normal individual minus violent thoughts / aggressive behavior.

• @My own insight on this is that there could be an emotional / spiritual disharmony they are 'fixing' with it.
      This is precisely what I think too.

• Wo3 hen3 gan3ji1(grateful) nin2 mei3ci4
      dou1 gei3 wo3men zhe4me xiang2xi4(detailed) de da2an4 : )

What Guys Said 9

• Haha, you're from Singapore! No wonder you've never seen anyone smoke it. It's probably better that way. As you probably know yourself, Asian countries absolutely hate drugs. They are extreeeemly conservative about drugs. As European, I've always thought the US is conservative when it comes to drugs but East Asia and south east Asia is yet another level. I don't know about the exact punishments in Singapore but my girlfriend is from Korea and if you're caught in South Korea with a joint, even if it's just for yourself (not dealing or anything like that) you can go to prison for up to 10 years. In China they even kill you for certain amounts of drug possession. It's something you can even try out in Asia, it's very dangerous.
    In my country Switzerland, pot is strictly speaking illegal but the police is pretty laid back about its enforcement. There are so many people so smoke it (not just teenagers, also adults) and they don't harm anyone. Alcohol actually causes more problems than weed. So the actual punishment for being caught smoking weed is a fine of 100 dollars. But if you happen to meet a nice police officer who is in a good mood, he'll just say "please stop smoking it, it's illegal" and go away again. Especially a lot of the older, more experienced police officers are pretty nice about it.
    As for the receiving part: I don't know how other people do it but I don't want to get it from some kind of seedy dealers. That seems too dangerous to me (you never know what they put in there). Instead, I've gotten my weed for many years from a friend who is a professional landscape gardener and knows everything about plants. He grows cannabis in his own backyard garden, along with other things such as tomatoes or berries. Now that I live together with my girlfriend, I'm thinking about buying a couple of small plants and growing them on our balcony.
    As for the type of person: I'm a very normal person. University student, easy going... I don't smoke a lot of weed. I only smoke it on special occasions such as a little party with my friends. On warm summer nights, I also like to walk up a particular hill with my best friend. On top of the hill, there's a big meadow where you can sit down, watch the stars and see all over our city. So sometimes we sit there in the summer, smoke a joint and have deep philosophical talks :-). It can be very relaxing and a lot of fun :-).

• Ah there you are 'teacher' <3 - I've been wondering that we've not heard from you for a while :D And incidentally this is the 2nd time when I've wondered so and your interesting question (s) pop up the next day lol

1. Well somehow I do manage to encounter a lot of things since my teens and this is again one of those things that I've encountered since then
    2. I've been always sure that I won't do any form of drugs no matter which one is legal. Alcohol is bad enough but no matter what I control it not the other way round :)
    3. Of what I know from various people who enjoy smoking these is that they love the feeling - each one has mentioned a different 'high' and 'feel'
    4. Recently out of curiosity I pulled on a weed joint and the only thing I know that it dehydrated me pretty much. No high and no 'good feeling' :)
    5. One thing I'm sure about and that is the high in any of this stuff is different from alcohol :)

• I have been busy reading some Chinese vegetarian recipe books, spring cleaning and shopping! Our country is celebrating its SG50(50 years of independence) this year and there are great sales everywhere : )

• Wow, it's nice that you know quite a lot about our country : ) Few GAGers know much about Singapore. I live near a mega mall that has more than 200 shops selling nice clothes and great food : )

Yeah, take good care of your health for the sake of yourself and your little kitty and don't smoke all these harmful substances, okay? : )
      You hit the gym to be healthier, don't you? : )

• One of these days I'm going to shop with you at that mall :D <3

Ofcourse I won't and don't smoke that stuff :) while I'm a regular at the gym and am particular about my food habits too :D thank you so much for being so nice and kind :) <3

• Think of it like there's different types of drinkers. Some become quiet while others become more aggressive.

Weed is about the same affects so it'll depend on the person.

Types of people: Well same with drinking, some can do it occasionally while others do it daily.

• all kinds of people enjoy the effects of marijuana. so its kinda hard to boil it down to what kind of people. what they're thinking? probably what flavor Cheetos to get, lol but seriously they're just enjoying the high.

• Bunch of losers, is all I can say. Fries the brain, makes you lazy, gives you lung cancer...

• Maybe you should get your facts straight before you start pointing fingers :)

• @HereForTheDay You can run your business however you want but that's a really close minded approach. Obviously you don't want people to show up high (or drunk for that matter - which is worse, really), but to judge people on what they do in their spare time is just... dumb lol

• no. we are a regulated industry. any drug use we have to dismiss. the individual cannot work in the industry again

• I think of them as the same as people who enjoy a drink

• Ordinary people like anyone else. Well, where I am from it has been legal for as far as I can remember, so it's not a big deal at all. Just like drinking alcohol.

• Mostly 15 to 30 year olds I guess. Losers and lazies mostly.

• Hippies and people from the 70's and Seth Rogen

What Girls Said 3

• A lot more people than I ever would have imagined. Average every day respectable people. A lot of my friends have recently found out their parents are doing it all the time (parents in age from about 50-65) My parents don't, they don't even drink, but I've come to find a lot of my aunts and uncles are. At my cousin's wedding last year, her 70 year old dad went behind a building with his new son in law and his friends to smoke. That's when I realized that uncle has been high and smelled like pot my whole life lol.
    I grew up thinking it was something only dirty, poor, loses and criminals do. I've come to learn that isn't the case, and though I don't do it myself, it doesn't bother me when others do.

• I am speaking as someone who does not smoke, but I think what I have to say will be helpful. Hopefully. :P

The thing is, there is not just one "kind" of person. It also depends on where you are. One country's attitude toward weed will be different to another country's. There are those who smoke it for medical reasons. Then there are those who smoke for recreational use. Pretty much any "kind" of person can.

Those to look out for are those who abuse it, like any other drug or product. If someone is saying that they cannot go to sleep without weed, or they're recklessly spending on their money on it, becoming someone who only hangs out with people who smoke... well that's something of a red flag as those are signs of addiction.

All in all, they're people trying to get through life just as much as anyone else :)

• Losers... I wouldn't date a man who smoked pot