Why some people think Arabs travel by camels and live in tents?

Most Helpful Guy

• Stereotyping is the reason, the same reason why a lot of people think that black people are uneducated criminals who belong to gangs in the hood and they will shout you and steal your money.

and I'm stealing @bumblesuperbee 's photo to respond to those who think that we Arabs ride camels

www.kappit.com/img/pics/201412_1047_hghhe.jpg

• Well actually that is largely true in some larger cities, like New york and Chicago were there is a lot of crime but less likely in places like my town were a lot of blacks actually are quite smart and go to college or are in the military.

Source: blacks who came from these cities to live here.

• Than you for MHO

• Hahaha you're the good student ;)
      Yay MHO! <3 win, win

What Girls Said 8

• lol... I married a man out in Egypt and although we didn't 'Live in tents,' @Omar5881, it was primitive many times in the village we Did... Live in.
    When one hears about the Middle East, right away they think of Camels, dessert, things of this nature. I had a guy at work, while I was working to save up to go to Egypt to meet up with my husband on my First trip abroad, that always teased me about "So... Are you going to ride that camel, Paris?"
    I have to laugh because I don't think anyone can fathom anything else unless they experience this for themselves.
    My husband and I actually did, however, ride that 'Camel' out in the pyramids, where only one can imagine... It was a beautiful and breathtaking experience.
    Good luck. xx

• Because that's the stereotype that people are used to see. Unfortunately, it's easier to believe in stereotypes than getting to know people and finding out if it's true or not.

• For the same reason they think Texans ride horses and have bar shoot outs and that the French love to smoke and wear berets. Stereotypes but I think now most in the U. S. believe they live in caves. LOL ;-)

Trust me we are overcoming this quickly.

• I think that's all they see in the media.

I used to think like that but not the tent part.

Anyway, I started to read more about Arabs and learned so many things. Also, realized some of the things that are over exaggerated in here.

• Because they are freaking ignorant xD

• Are you trying to tell me that Aladdin isn't an accurate portrayal of Arabic life/culture?

• because they get confused with the nomadic bedouin peoples

• It's because of what they see on TV or the media

What Guys Said 6

• Why are some people racist?
    Why do some people tattoo their bodies?
    Why do some males get body piercings?
    Why did Obama get voted into office?
    ... 2/3 of the population of earth are idiots, that's why.

• Most likely because it is the most effect means of traveling through the desert as that desert sand would wreak havoc on a the insides of a car if it wasn't properly maintained and I would imagine a lot of fuel is not something a lot of people in these countries have on hand at least not the ones that travel by camel in the first place.

A camel is a desert animal good for traveling across it's natural habitat, tents probably are something the nomads or those that travel across the country use but that the normal everyday people do not. But some of these countries that these people live in are largely low tech compared to other nations or rather have high tech areas/cities and areas which are still rather primitive.

As for tents well they provide rudimentary sandstorm protection, keep your warm to an extent and keep the sun off you and are easy to both pack and unpack quickly and when fully packed can fit on a camel.

• Sure begorrah I drink with leperchauns in the pub every night,

• Too much TV, not enough reality

• Ignorance
    الجحل

• Same reason everyone thinks EVERY American is fat. Stereotyping