Do you think it is morally wrong to download or tor**** songs, movies, tv shows off the internet for free?

I know that it is illegal, but does anyone believe it is morally wrong? Do you ever feel bad about doing it or is it like spitting gum on the sidewalk?

• Yes it's morally wrong
  • No, it doesn't hurt anybody

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not wrong at all the prices they charge for them are the real crime

What Girls Said 5

• No way. I do think it's morally wrong how much they charge people to watch a movie that's just over an hour long, or how iTunes charges $1.29 for one measly song though.

• Nope. It's morally wrong how expensive movie tickets are, that's what's morally wrong.

• I personally don't download anything, I just watch it online lol but to be honest neither feels wrong to me, even if it is and even if I should. I still don't feel like it is wrong, so not going to pretend I do lol.

• No it isn't morally wrong.
    Paying someone 40 Million dollars to do a movie simply because we know their face is morally wrong.
    Expecting average watchers of that to then pick up the bill by charging them $20+ to get into a movie and $20 for pop corn and a drink... is morally wrong.

• It's wrong, no doubt about it... but most of us tend to do it anyway. I think I've normalized the crime so much that I don't really feel bad about it, though I'm starting to at the moment...

What Guys Said 9

• My stance is if they don't do anything about it then they don't care enough. If anything these industries have too much control. Even when you buy a music track you're limited on its "use." For example if you buy a track you're only allowed to listen to it yet if you throw it on the background of a movie you edited and put it on social media suddenly it is "unauthorized use" even though you aren't even profiting off of it.

So even when you buy there things you're limited on the uses anyway. It is too much lockdown and control.

• The legallity and morality of it is complex, downloading unedited TV for instance is theorettically legal in many countries, and I frankly can't see the harm it's just more convenient than timing your life around what time they choose to show your stuff on the box... spitting gum on the sidewalk on the otherhand is straight out and out wrong. It makes a mess, can really screw up peoples shoes, and can maim or kill animals.

• Maime or kill animals with my gum? The street sweepers get paid to clean that stuff up anyway, plus it's biodegradable. Also regardless of what your mom told you gum digests in the stomach like other food. I put that up there because it isn't an actual crime in certain areas. Oh and your precious shoes getting messy. Your shoes can get messy from bird poop or squirrel guts just as easily.

• Street sweepers use a massive machine where I live to clean up everything. I've spit my gum on to a sidewalk that's right near my house, but it's usually cleaned up after a couple days. You would also have to go out of your way to step in gum or step in dog poop. Just watch where you step, I think that's common sense anyway. Also birds and animals will get into the trash anyway. I don't really care about a couple of birds.

• Fair enough. Round here most major city streets look like this: static.guim.co.uk/.../Chewing-gum-002.jpg

Hell mexico (not local to me) is even considering leveling a gum tax just because of the clean up cost.

• Yes, it is morally wrong.

Not hurting people is not the standard of morality. But, regardless, violating intellectual property rights does harm people.

• No I don't feel bad. Either way they are making lots of money, the difference is they want to maximize the profit which I don't care about.

• Only if you get caught?

• It is morally wrong but movies and subscription TV are very expensive

• With the ammount of money Whiz Khalifa makes, I don't think he cares if I download one of his songs without paying.

• But it's legal in my country YAY so nope its not wrong or anything

• When I really like a movie or a music album, I'll buy it. But if you download something you wouldn't have spent money on anyway, it's a victimless crime.