Why musicians see the need to be in multiple bands?

I'm not talking about a musician leaving one band to join/start another. I mean why do they feel the need to be involved in multiple projects when they have a successful band to begin with. An example that comes to mind is the metal band As I Lay Dying, the lead singer also heads a band called Austrian Death Machine which does songs involving Arnold Schwarzenegger. The thing I'm trying to ask is I frequently see bands that have members in multiple endeavors.

Most Helpful Guy

• I suppose artists exploring different facets of themselves

What Girls Said 1

• Maybe they just love music and want to explore different genres and different styles of playing, or a different fan base, or just a different dynamic within the band. It could also just be for the money :P

• Usually the band's share similarities in style and especially genre... metal musicians being in multiple metal bands... alternative musicians in various alternative bands and so forth.

• That's like saying 'if you've got a favourite flavour of ice cream why change it?'. Sometimes you just want something different. It's not a big deal for you anyway, if you dislike the new style of music, just don't listen to the other band.

• I don't I'm getting opinions on the question... not trying to say if I like a singer I'll suffer his new sound/style for and gigs

What Guys Said 2

• Because they may not all agree on particular things and sometimes like to go solo to be true to themselves

• more money and more groupies.