Is it really that bad that I own a business and "reduce" my tax bill to almost nothing?

lately, I have been hearing that people hate bureacy and hate that businesses don't pay more taxes. I own a company and currently pay 2% on my taxes. Why do people hate us? Are they just jealous?

Most Helpful Guy

• In my opinion, people who don't pay their taxes or people who fight for low taxes are the people who destroy a society. In my country, tax rates are pretty high but every year when I get the letter from the tax administration office, they write one sentence in that letter that I think is very, very true: "we do not expect you to pay your taxes happily - nobody enjoys paying taxes - but we do sincerely hope that you pay your taxes with conviction." And indeed, I do so very much. I hate paying taxes but I do it with the strong conviction that this is my opportunity to give something back to my country. Paying taxes is probably one of the most patriotic things one can do. I don't love my country for some sort of bullshit arguments like founding fathers or stuff like that. I love for the things I like about it now. I love that people stand together, that solidarity is an important value in our society, that we watch out for each other, that minorities such as handicapped people or seniors are not just treated like trash but that they have a real chance in life and a social security net they can rely on, that ALL children, poor or rich, healthy or handicapped, native or foreign can have one of the best educations in the world for very little money, that people don't have to worry about money when they get cancer or have an accident at work etc.. All these things cost money. And the government can only pay these public services if people are willing to pay decent amounts of taxes.
    It has been proven time and again that countries with very low taxes such as the US sooner or later run into a myriad of big problems. High taxes is what keeps a society together. It strengthens the social equality, so that nobody is excessively rich or unbearably poor. Countries that are socially very unequal tend to fall apart both politically and socially. The US is a great example for this. Back in the 1950s and 1960s, Americans paid high taxes. Rich people paid up to 90% taxes on their incomes. Yet, the middle class was flourishing like never before. Programs such as the GI bill, which are nowadays called "socialist" or even "communist" by some Republicans created the happiest generation of Americans so far. People could live in large houses and didn't have to worry. Opportunities were real. Today's America is like a different planet... no, like a different galaxy. The US has turned into a plutocracy. 1% of the US population owns roughly 79% of the American wealth. This is

• absolutely insane in my opinion. Furthermore, because nobody wants to pay a decent amount of taxes in America, the society and the country are totally falling apart. The public education system is pathetic. So is the police force. Instead of having trained, relaxed police officers, America has rambo-soldiers in police uniforms. The whole infrastructure (streets, bridges etc.) is crumbling. Tens of thousands of people are sitting on the street and begging. Hundreds of thousands live in their cars. In California, some people don't get enough water to shower regularly anymore because of the drought - yet rich people still buy themselves their water for their huge swimming pools. America likes to believe it is "Indivisible" as it says in the pledge of allegiance, but the truth is, it's one of the most divided countries in the world. It's something I would find extremely embarrassing if my country was like that. And people who don't pay their taxes support this system and cultural decline.

What Girls Said 0

What Guys Said 3

• Bankers have been doing for years

• No they are hating big business that park billons they made here in foreign accounts

• No. That is the secret to America. We tax primarily the working middle class. There is an entirely different tax structure for corporations and businesses. The individual is financially raped.