Why are you supposed to respect your elders?

My mom used to tell me that as a child and I just never really understood it

• I respect my elders
  • I respect everyone
  • I respect people who respect me
  • You need to earn my respect
  • R E S P E C T find out what it means to me!!!
  • Other

Most Helpful Guy

• in my opinion you don´t owe repsect to someone just because he/she is old. respect depends on reciprocity. if a elderly guy disrepsects me, i will disrespect him.

i do have some basic respect for every person though. it depends on them if i keep it or let it go.

• Yes, but the assumption is, if you randomly see an elderly person and a young person on a bus, you should show respect to the elderly and give up your seat if things are full... and give it up for the elderly person, because they've stood on enough damn buses in their lives. - Why old people deserve respect because your ass is going to want it when you get there

• in my opinion this is not an example of repsect but just basic human decency... if i see an old person struggeling and i know i have no problem standing, i´ll sure as hell offer them my seat. it´s empathy not respect.

What Guys Said 8

• Because you're elders have more wisdom even if they are stupid. When I was going to college I worked warehouse. I worked with ex meth heads and ex principles. People old enough to be my grand father and though it was obvious to us that I was more intelligent didn't mean that they had entire lives of experiences that I could learn and benifit from.

• A , C and D apply to me. It took me some time growing up to answer this question TBH. It's not because of their age ( older than you ) it's due to their experience and wisdom gained ( for most , but not all ) . Watch out for the stories that start out with... Back I my day or the oldie but goodie... I walked to school barefoot in the snow , uphill both ways lmao

• They have more wisdom, life experience and knowledge then you.

• Because once upon a time the elders actually held wisdom.
    These day, not so much.

You should respect everyone regardless of age and gender.

• Just respect them; don't ask questions on why

• Option C seems a good rule to live by

• It does not matter how old you are or how much life experience you have, if you want my respect, you have to earn it. My respect is not easily given and I hold those who have earned it in high regard.

• They know more than you and the majority that are younger by experience and having been there done that. They also paved the way for you in many ways by building your school, creating the community and defending the country.

What Girls Said 3

• I grant everyone a very basic level of respect until they prove they're worthy of more or none at all. Elderly people are no different. I've met enough of them to know that age does not necessarily equal experience. Many elderly people went through their whole lives never thinking about anything and doing the same activities over and over again, never changing anything. Those people have no experience to offer whatsoever and their intelligence is way below average. In fact, most elderly people I know are racist, homophobic, uneducated, deluded, etc. Those people get no respect from me.

• Older is supposed to mean more wisdom and life experiences. Therfore they should know more.

• They have more experience but I think that we shouldn't overly respect people.

• Can you give an example of "overly respecting" ?

• Like letting an elderly person disrespect or walk over you because of them being elderly

• Lol the elders also need to respect the fact that you can kick their ass.