Must Christians attend church in order to be saved?

• Yes, Christians must attend church in order to be saved.
  • No, I don't think so.
  • I don't know/See poll results.
I am wondering because of scriptures such as

Matthew 18:20 which says :
"For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”
And Luke23:39-43:
One of the criminals who hung there hurled insults at him: “Aren’t you the Messiah? Save yourself and us!”
But the other criminal rebuked him. “Don’t you fear God,” he said, “since you are under the same sentence? We are punished justly, for we are getting what our deeds deserve. But this man has done nothing wrong.”
Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom.”
Jesus answered him, “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise".

Most Helpful Guy

• This question sounds like an attack on my spirituality, lol. Well its alright, its a good question to ask and many are deceived.

Well, of course they can be saved. Luke 23 is about believing unto salvation (the criminals referred to him as God, obviously believing)*.

Matthew 18 refers to the presence of God (via the Holy Spirit, but remember Jesus is in the Father and the Father is in Him [John 14], and likewise the Spirit is also apart of the Godhead, which is why Genesis Hebrew uses a plural term for God in the creation story; English lacks such a term).

1 John 5:10-12 is a fairly good rule of thumb for deterniming salvation.

A quick common sense test can help you here. If I go into a garage and sleep there, does that make me a car? (no, I'm a person). Likewise, if I go into a church, does that make me a Christian? (no, I'm still a sinner who needs salvation).

If the wooden, stone, concrete, steel, or alabaster walls of a church had the power to change people's hearts, I suspect these materials would go up in price. :)

* = This scripture is commonly used to show baptism is not a requirement to go to heaven.

• Also, I noticed your last question was about JW. Seriously, stay away from those people! They quote the bible, but it is not the same bible as a KJV/NKJV (and if you are truly despearate, NIV/ESV) - they actually took theirs from the 1901 American Standard (a good version btw) and then corrupted and modified the text at their own decision making, and republished it under the term "New World Translation", but the NWT is not a translation in the sense of changing from one language to another; it has invented components. Unfortunately they were not thorough, and you can still find glitches in their doctrine in their own bible.

• Thank you for your concern about the Jehovah Witnesses, I appreciate that : )
      Don't worry, I would never associate with any of the Jehovah Witness, never in a million years! But neither would I join any of the churches.

Did you know that I got my parents to chase the Jehovah Witnesses away when they knocked on our door and woke me up at 7am and 11pm years ago?7am and 11pm! That's crazy! You
      also know so much about the Jehovah Witnesses right, but does it mean that you are not avoiding them like plague?
      : P

I think you misunderstood the reason why I asked the other question about the Jehovah Witnesses. I asked because I wanted to hear GAGers' views of them, to see if their views are the same as the people in our country. Don't you find the Jehovah Witnesses to be extreme in certain things? Also, I don't agree with certain things about their dress code.

• @JW's
      A lot of good people have "fallen in with the wrong crowd" so to speak. They may hear it is a cult only later on. I aggressively invite them into my home and then share scripture with them, and I am accustomed to dueling scripture with them. I think one of the elders has marked my house as one not to visit as a result of that. Hahha. I've researched them carefully, since Sun Tzu thinks its a good idea to know the enemy or some such :)

@Matthew 18:20
      This scripture is absolutely true. I don't know what your belief status either in the past or now. If you once did believe, can you ever recall in memory where you could feel the presence of God? By gathering together in his name, He is not referring to a weird ritiual; He means acting in his purpose. This can be a simple activity like prayer, or something more complex.

What Guys Said 8

• I don't believe that any person anywhere has to attend a place of worship in order to gain acceptance to a hypotheticala afterlife.

• Well church is not restricted to any one building back during his time people often did it in their homes. A church is simply a building were worship of god takes place.

• No. Being a Christian is all about the state of your heart, your faith (in Jesus and His word), and your relationship with the Lord.

Church isn't necessary but, it certainly helps as it is a source of friendship, comfort, peace, safety, etc. Things that EVERY Christian will inevitably need.

• I think christians can still be religious without going to church

• I attend whenever I can

• i don't think so, if you are a good person you should have to worry about it

• Yes. They can.

• And a church is a building. You don't need that to be saved.

• You just have to believe. Thats it.

• I don't think the criminal who was hung with Jesus attended church, right? But Jesus said that he would be with him in paradise? O_o

• But he asked Jesus to take him with him and he did. He repented technically.

What Girls Said 6

• preferably so. u need to go to mass, u need communion, u need to confess, attend services etc...
    however, going to church alone won't save anyone.

• Well, Church is there so that you can worship The Lord, basically a sanctuary. So, if you ask me, you have to know why you're going to Church, because you were forced to, because you really believe in the name of The Lord, and such. It's also there so that you can repent for your sins. If you really wonder, you should read the Bible, as it has all the answers in it. All the pastors always just say, "You have to believe that Jesus died for us on the cross." Though, there's actually more to it than that.

• Some attend because they are afraind to be comdemned, others because their relatives obligate them, others because of conviction, others because they want God's favours, and others to be closer to God...

• I really don't think so.

• You need to go to church every Sunday because if you don't it's a sin that becomes a habit that separates you from God.

• Yess, otherwise how would you be saved if you don't?