At what point does positive self-image become offensive?

Positive self-image is important. Ego, however, is almost universally regarded as a negative trait. At what point does a positive self-image become ego?

Most Helpful Guy

• Everyone has ego, whether its good or bad. It is nearly always better to have too much confidence then too little confidence. Usually when people comment on your/his/her ego, they are projecting.

What Guys Said 8

• Hm. Good question.

Two factors come into play.

A - The tolerance of the person HEARING it. Some people have different thresh holds. Me, for example, I don't mind hearing a person brag, especially if they can back it up. To me, if a person genuinely is THAT good, he has every right to brag, he's earned it. However, some people just plain HATE bragging, at EVERY point. So everything will become offensive.

and now for the second factor

B - The delivery. Usually, in order to annoy the majority of people with their bragging, an arrogant person has to brag not just when the situation calls for it, but also when it is UNCALLED for.

Example 1 of a CALLED for bragging situation: Person 1: "Hey, you're pretty good at fixing up houses! Where did you learn that?" Person 2: "I'm self taught, to be honest, I'm really fucking amazing at setting up houses, probably one of the best in the whole block."

In this example, it's at least more tolerable, because the person ASKED for his opinion of himself, it's an easier pill to swallow.

Example 2 of an UNCALLED for bragging situation: Person 1: "Thanks for helping me out, here's your payment, I'll give you a ring if I ened you again." Person 2: "I can guarantee you'll call me again, I'm the best carpenter on the East Coast, you'll be screwing yourself over if you call someone else to do the job."

In this situation, the guy just wanted to give his money, and leave. He didn't ask for his opinion or his ego to be shoved upon him.

• So hard to tell when it becomes loud - I have always associated being self assured with a quiet confidence

• When you start claiming that you're better than everybody and that you're God's gift to mankind.

Basically if you start acting like Kanye West.

• Kanye is rather repellent, no?

• Very. He was always cocky, but it wasn't in an obnoxious way. Plus he always backed up what he said by producing award-winning music time and time again.

But ever since his mom died, he just became a straight up douchebag.

• When you lose humility and start to brag

• Is there a difference between bragging and being proud of one's accomplishments, in your opinion?

• Is it a bad thing to share one's joy?

• Its OK to say "yes, i did it" just don't go over the top with it. A truly humble person never says "I" its more about thanking others for helping

• When you start shitting on other peoples' self image, I suppose. Especially of it seems intentional, or that he/she should *obviously* realize what a dock they're being...

• Probably when one turn narcissistic

• respecting yourself is good. judging others because you think you are better, not so much

• When you become a bit of a cunt.

What Girls Said 5

• I think it becomes negative when that person obsesses over it.

There's a difference between saying "I'm happy with my body" when you need a pick me up, and you picking yourself up every single day in the most vain tone possible.

It's about the frequency, the tone, and the attitude the person gives off. Flaunting everyday and bragging is bad. A person should have humility, even if they like something about their lives or what they have.

Kinda like the difference between your mom/dad being proud of you and bragging to everyone else. It's about how they constantly do it and put the 'look how great great great my kid is' tone to it.

• Is it bad, in your opinion, to take pride in one's accomplishments and want to share one's joy at their achievement?

• Thank you for your input.

• Welcome.

• when it affects your relationships in a bad way

• When you think you're better than everyone else, and start putting others down.

• When it's unrealistic.

• When you begin to think you are better than everybody else