Confederate flag: How do you feel about the flag being removed in the USA?

How do you feel about the flag being removed in the usa

Most Helpful Girl

• It is not removed in the USA. It is removed from WalMart. That is different.
    I think it is awful! The First Amendment gives you the right to speak and express freely. Unfortunately... this Right is now viewed as a privilege only granted to those who agree with the powers that be.
    I personally don't really understand the symbolism. I am not from here. But I do understand free speech.

What Girls Said 6

• The only think it represents is southern history. And southern history is full of racial supremacy and hate. I live in a redneck state so believe me I know. Why would you want to keep something that represents what life used to be back when people were getting murdered just because of their skin color.

• I'm happy about it. When I was a kid and learning about the civil war I always wondered why we allowed to still show the confederate flag (especially because it symbolized a group that performed treason against American and I don't get how we can be a "united states" yet sill allow examples of treason, but to each their own). Also I always though it was offensive. Why it was flown so long really never made sense to me. I mean if groups like the confederate, like the KkK, like modern neo-nazi groups still use it I don't know why you'd want to associate with it.

• People will still have it. Southerners are stubborn.
    I don't see what the problem is. The flag doesn't make people racist and all of the people I know who own the flag aren't. Its just a stupid stereotype.

• True Rednecks, at least where I'm from I can't speak for other states, are some of the nicest people I've ever met and there are very few who are even racist. A lot, not all, of them might not have high IQs, but you respect them they'll respect you.

• Well said ;-)

• I'd be okay with it. As far as I'm concerned it dealt with slave trade in the south.

If they dont get rid of it, eh fuck it anyway.

• It's a part of American History, it shouldn't be removed simply because it later became used to represent a symbol of hate.
    Asians still use the swastika that they had in their culture long before it was used in a hate movement.

• Bit of a different between the aesthetics between the two, if an Asian had a nazi flag out on his property, I don't think that would be ethical.

• The esthetics are the same
      upload.wikimedia.org/.../...a-seoel_%28xndr%29.jpg
      Or this
      www.pagodared.com/.../...ka-55ac4.jpg&w=620&h=1000

You call it a nazi flag because YOU associate it with Nazism.

The Southern Cross is a symbol of the American south, as a battle flag by the Army of Northern Virginia under General Lee. It being used by racist during horrible atrocities decades ago does not negate it's original meaning.

• I don't think it should be like, erased, but maybe if we stopped flying them? Because that's almost like honoring it, and I don't believe we should do that. The confederate flag was designed specifically for the war, and the creators of it spoke how it stood for 'slavery, the greatest material interest of the world' and pretty much everyone who had a hand in it always was pro slavery.
      I think we should take them down, but keep them in museums. People should be able to learn about that part of our history but we should not honor it.

• While I don't think it should be banned from being sold, especially to those who collect civil war items or have family history of the war -- public removal isn't a big deal.

What Guys Said 16

• It's only being removed from public places, and I agree with that, cause black people are also paying for that, and living there, watching that flag every day. It's not fair cause it feels like the city is pro slavery and racism, which is something that flag represents.
    Also, there are many people that aren't black that don't like the flag either, and it's also not fair for them to see that flag hanging in public places.

• I'm not American so I kind empathize with the way Americans feel about that flag but as an outsider looking in, I think anything which lessens the gun slinging culture of America is a good thing and if removing that flag serves a part of that purpose then get rid of it.

Just like Barack Obama said the other day, you all need to start thinking about why those kind of horrific shooting crimes like the incident at that church only happen in America.

• but they don't only happen in America.

• @tenchu11 Shootings don't just happen in America and a lot if shit obviously goes down in the middle East and eastern Europe but America is the only "peaceful" place where this kind of thing happens and its because of the gun culture.
      Nowhere else has a gun culture like the united States.

• dam right they dont!

• Ridiculous. It's just more white guilt that leads to pandering to black people because they can't just get their shit together and move on. The shooting may have been racist, but why should EVERYONE suffer from the actions of ONE person? How about we get down to the root causes of these shootings instead of arbitrarily creating "Solutions" that won't prevent future crime?

• It should've been thrown out when the south surrendered like the nazi flag was

• I'm okay with it

• It is unnecessary to remove it. It is completely unrelated to the current tragedy.

• Its meaning has been corrupted - It is up to its supporters to take it back and distance themselves from the unsavoury elements

• The problem isn't a flag, the problem is the U. S. as a country and the people who live there.

A lot of good people died for that flag , so it shouldn't be banned.

• They should have stopped using the flag after the Civil War. It serves no useful purpose.

• First off it has no businesss flying anywhere on state buildings or property. Secondly merchandisers have the free will to sell what they want. GET OVER IT

• I think it's stupid, it's part of American History.

• What else am I suppose to use as decals on my General Lee reproduction muscle car?

• I'm all for it. National and state flags only.

• I limke to see it flying. Some people just hate it because it is one more thing for liberals to hate.

• It's an antique symbol , used by people who oppose abolition.

• Just get rid of it, no one cares about redneck pride and your "history" except for rednecks and their history of lynching black people.