What's Your Opinion on This News Story?

Basically, a family with an 8 year old girl were playing at the public pool. She had her top off and the lifeguard asked the family how old she was, then told her that she needed to put on a shirt. The pool rules were only girls 4 and under could be topless apparently. What do you think about this rule? Do you think 8 is too old to be topless in public?

This was on my newsfeed this morning and everyone is flying back with different opinions. What are your thoughts?
Here is the link to the story:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/guelph-parents-angry-after-topless-girl-8-told-to-cover-up-1.3124762

• Yes, 8 is too old to be shirtless in public
  • No, she's still a child

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it's absolutely ridiculous. When I was 13 or so, I sometimes played completely naked in the garden behind my parents' house with my sister who is about 4 years younger and was also completely naked. We would lie in the grass and stuff. Because my parents live in a somewhat dense neighborhood, all the neighbors around us could easily see us. Sometimes it was in the late afternoon and other people were sitting outside and Barbecuing and stuff. Yet, nobody ever said anything. Nobody even paid attention. What people in my country think when they see this kind of thing is basically "oh, two kids are playing, that's cute". They just don't care. This idea that even 8 year old children have to cover their breasts which are still far away from increasing in size is sick. And this constant fear from pedophiles in North America is also pretty ridiculous. People watch the news and they just believe this crap about pedophiles apparently hiding behind every corner. I don't even know how this came to be but there's a totally insane pedophile paranoia in North America. I'm not saying pedophiles don't exist but that doesn't mean they're stalking your kid at every second of your life. Especially since 98% of pedophile crimes actually happen WITHIN the family (dads, uncles, grandpas, brothers etc.). Yet the news shows in the US (and apparently also in Canada) work with fear. They scare the shit out of people and the people simply believe it as though they were a bunch of sheep.
    I personally think by constantly covering your children at every second of their daily life and teaching them that showing skin is something bad you ruin an important part of their childhoods. I remember that I LOVED being naked as a child. I'm not saying children should walk naked into a mall or a cinema but children should be able to walk around naked at a public beach or swim naked in a lake or in a swimming pool or play naked on a playground without constantly being covered up or yelled at or be stalked by their own parents. I wish people (both parents and the politicians who make these stupid laws) could just let children be children. It's already frustrating enough that so many adults are so prudish and uptight.

• I totally agree with the pedophile thing. Totally ridiculous and shouldn't be a valid argument.
      Now, for the maturity of an 8 year old. I know some 8 year old girls are indistinguishable from boys. They are years away from the beginning of puberty. But, myself included, some are almost there. I don't remember the exact times when things started changing, but I stared wearing a training bra when I was 9 and started my period shortly after my 10th birthday. I also had pubic hair and some underarm hair at that point. Also started wearing deodorant around 11 or 12.
      So, I can definitely see where you're coming from, but I can see where the pool is as well. They have a firm line drawn for the age. But, they could probably bump the age up to 6 or 7.

What Guys Said 7

• Seriously? This is newsworthy? Okay so they didn't know the rule. Now they do. The officials apologized if they upset the little girl. It's a rule. wtf? Seems more like a half assed attempt to stir up debate about equal rights for men and women to go topless in public which is no longer an issue there as they stated (so why mention it?). What's wrong with the rule?

We're in the age of being offended by any/everything just for the sake of being offended. Smh.

• I would look at it as not being anti the child more protecting the child from the weirdos out there

• A ridiculous rule.

• I went for A. Lifeguard was completely justified.

• I voted for A

• All women over 18 should be topless at pools.

• I don't have any objections to public nudity, especially at the beach and around pools, so this is all a bunch of nonsense.

What Girls Said 3

• I think any child over 4 is too old to be topless.

• She's still a child.

• I think she is a little too old to be topless in public. There are some sick people in this world who go to public pools like that to look at kids to get off too.

• Still, they probably look at her if she was three without a shirt...

• These sick people go everywhere children do there is no way to keep them from taking pictures of them in public.