Are Americans the funniest people on earth?

Like, it seems that most comedians come from a counrty that has only about 5% of the world's population. Examples, include Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Robin Williams, Eddie Murphy, Louis CK, Chris Farley, Steve Carrell and Ellen Degeneres. Why is this?

Most Helpful Guy

• It is hilarious that you think Jerry Seinfeld is funny... the only reason it was funny was because of the rest of the cast.

About the only ones in that list that are funny is Steve Carrell and Robin Williams. Chris Farely was joke and they should have left him in a van down by the river. Eddie Murphy just swears through his whole standup routine... Ellen Dejeneres, seriously!

Some of the funniest people come from Canada and also England. Look at the whole cast of Monty Python, Some of the best comedians are Canadian like Mike Myers, Jim Carrey, Seth Rogan, Martin Short, Dan Ackroyd, and John Candy. A lot of the Canadians made the most memorable skits in Saturday Nigh Live. The quality of these guys is just so good... and they could be funny and keep it clean!

• Yeah, those guys you listed are pretty funny. I thought Seinfeld had a reputation for being funny, but I could be wrong.

• I guess Jerry's humour is kind of subjective... a lot of people like him. I just don't find him that funny Julia Lois Dreyfus, Kramer, and George made that show funny to me.

What Girls Said 11

• I don't know. I personally don't like American comedians. I do like American cartoons like South Park. That show is genius. I'm not sure though if you guys are really the funniest. You just have a lot of media export. I mean, it's a lot harder to become international famous for a Dutch guy than an American guy.

• Jerry Seinfeld actually isn't that funny. I forget the name of the guy who wrote Seinfeld, he's the funny one. He also made arrested development. He's just awesome. Jerry is okay

• Larry David co-created with Jerry Seinfeld. Larry David also created Curb Your Enthusiasm, which he also stars in. I find them both funny, but Larry David may be funnier.

Mitchell Hurwitz created Arrested Development. He is a funny writer, but I don't know about performing. I've never seen him perform.

• I don't really think so. It just depends on what you're exposed to.

• Then who is the funniest, in your opinion?

• Oh, so you don't make any generalities about any nation... ever? You don't think Americans are less intelligent?

• As I have not met every American (or more than a handful), I couldn't say with any certainty.

• Nope. Brits are the funniest.

• They're not. You just don't understand those comedians from other countries.

• Can you give me some specific examples?

• Sure. Michael Mittermeier, Kaya Nayar, Bullyparade, Stephen Chow. Not saying they are better than the ones you named, but they're equals. I'm sure there are more out there in other languages.

• Thanks! I will check them out.

• Yes and don't you forget it 😜

• Nope they're shit

• Who is the funniest, in your opinion?

• The British peeps obvs

• Who are some favorite British comedians. I want to check them out!

• Everyone has a different sense of humour so everyone will like a different culture/country funniest

• What country are you from and who are some funny people there?

• You probably just don't know enough comedians from other countries.

• Can you give me some examples?

• ofcourse there are gonna be funny americans but i personally think British humor is the funniest.

• Because it has the largest media presence on the planet and the largest GDP on the planet.

What Guys Said 16

• I find Richard Ayoade and Ricky Gervais funny; they are both British.

Some American comedians I like are Mitch Hedberg and Steven Wright.

I'm sure there are more from many other nationalities I like, but those are on the top of my mind at the moment.

• It depends on the type of humor you like. What I like about Americans is that they're sarcastic and have this "IDGAF" attitude, so their humor is sometimes crude, and that's funny to me.
    The reason why most comedians are American is because the biggest TV industry is in the US.

• No, we're not really funny. We're just hilariously hypocritical. Try telling other countries what's right and wrong, and can't get our own shit straightened out back home.

• I think it has the biggest share of the media presence in the world so makes sense to produce things like most popular comedians

• It is just how American society works in other countries it is not encouraged to go big or go home to follow your dreams even if it means a chance at losing everything it is the idea of the American dream that anyone can be great at anything if they work hard enough

• I think Brits are to be honest

• What a weird question. I am not certain anyone here can accurately respond to that.

• I think the Irish are funny @KDA20 what about you?

• There are a few good irish comedians floating about but my personal favourite is scotish Billy Connolly

• Have you ever been to Australia?

The default setting for humour there is "On", and I'm not talking about stage comedians. Most people, including officials, seem to have a twinkle in their eye.

• Stereotype detected...

• But is it a true stereotype? Who is funnier?

• What about the impractical jokers they get my vote any day.

• Nope Egyptians are

• Can you give me some examples, please?

• Well we r good at commenting on problems and stuff

• definitely not but jerry springer is

• So which country produces the funniest people, in your opinion?

• Not at all.

• Then who, in your opinion?

• I believe humour is a cultural thing and that there is no one single funniest nation.

• We're the laziest, fattest, and most uncultured. I know that.

• But are we the funniest? If not, who is?

• Definitely not.

• Then which country produces the funniest people, in your opinion?