We live in a free country in the USA right well why in the hell are they trying to make it illegal to fly a Confederate flag?

If I'm not harming anyone in the process why should I let people control me when it a free country as long as its on my property it should not matter?

Most Helpful Guy

• The idea of the USA being a 'free country' is a bit of a misnomer. The Communist Party is illegal, for example. And as soon as certain political parties are outlawed in a country, you can't claim that the country is free. If 51% of the USA wanted to vote in a communist regime, they could not. So, the country isn't 'politically' free by any stretch. A two-party system is really not any kind of political freedom.

Beyond that, there are all sorts of 'freedoms' that are curtailed for public safety. You are not free to walk naked through an elementary school, even if you aren't 'hurting' anyone. You are not allowed to declare independence and refuse to pay taxes. You aren't allowed to just pitch a tent inside a government building and say you are moving in. "Freedom" has a very specific meaning, and it does not mean that you have the ability to do whatever you want.

This move to stop people flying the Confederate flag is a move to protect people from what it represents, just like you couldn't fly a flag with a giant photo of a penis on it. If it makes sense to not allow people to fly flags with images associated with pornography it also makes sense to not allow people to fly flags with symbols associated with hate crimes.

• But its not a hate crime its not. Physically Physical hurts hurting anyone

• Promoting hate is considered a hate crime. You don't have to actually commit the physical act yourself. It is creating a hostile environment. Same thing with nazi imagery - the fact that you don't attack Jewish people yourself doesn't mean that you are not creating an environment that is hostile for them.

• Same with a penis flag. You aren't physically hurting anyone by flying a flag like that, but it's still not allowed.

What Guys Said 17

• They're not trying to make it illegal, they just want to remove it from public places, because it's offensive for black people, and other's that are against racism and slavery, which is something that that flag represents.
    If you wanna have it hanging outside your house, go ahead, you are free to do so, but public spaces are for all people, and blacks also pay taxes and for public spaces, and it's not fair to have that flag hanging there.

• I guess its just way too "unpatriotic" to sensitive ass people everywhere.

• Many people feel that it's racists and represents "hate speech." As the majority have decided that "hate speech" is not protected under the right to free speech. It's a mater of the majority dictating the rights of the minority. This comes down to where does the right of the individual vrs. the right of the majority fall?

• Because people like to get offended over things and cause a stink. A flag, just like movies, music, video games and something like a t-shirt only have as much power over you as you give them. If you find such things offensive, you are making a choice to give such things power over you.

• Because they dont want it to hurt peoples feeling lmfao. All this political correctness makes me sick. People can wave what ever flag they want to. I dont like it when people wear those stupid glasses but should we ban it because i dont ike it, fuck no. Let people do whatever they so long as they dont hurt people. And i mean hurting people in the physical sense, not your feelings. Alk thoses cry babies need to shut the fuck up.

• Is there a law that prohibits ts it?

• Because it offends some people. Same reason why it's controversial to fly the Union Flag around South London.

• You can do what you want on you property but in public keep you slaver racist flag away from us and it is harming people think of all the people who died to bring down that flag and stop slavery

• Free country? Hard to say. Liberals think they can define what means "free".

• It's classified as a hate crime with some weight behind it now

• Well they tried banning firearms, but you guys didn't want that. This is payback.

• Why would u want
      I ban firearms we all go hunting I mean really and we have a right to defend our selves and our home so yeah

• People who go into schools and hurt people should not have guns but people who are sain and have the right to carry a gun should be able on their own property to do what the hell they please as long as they are not hurting another human being unless that said person is trespassing on there property

• And how are you gonna police that? You can't. The guy who shot up Sandy Hook borrowed his sane mother's legal assault rifle. And went to a school.

The problem is that your country is full of weapons. It's a nightmare to police, which is why these things keep happening. It's also why your police force is so heavy-handed. They expect criminals with guns, because everyone has guns.

Take a look at failed states. E. g. Iraq, parts of Mexico. What is the common denominator? They are chock-full of weapons.

• Politic correctness i think

• How is it correctness

• it offends me
    and
    a law is a law... isn't it?

• because it represents rasacism and slavery

• It's a symbol of treason and bigotry. Why should the flag representing treason against the USA be allowed to fly?

• Liberals love love love to ban things, even if it is a Big Gulp soda. It makes them feel as though they are doing something. Voters in the US are becoming dumber by the day. There are much bigger issues but this the exciting one today, tomorrow it will be something else but nothing of substance.

• Because the flag represents that the country was not free at one point in time

What Girls Said 4

• It IS harming people. The ideology it represents is harmful, and openly supporting that ideology is as well. That said, I'm actually not entirely sure about how constitutional it would be to ban such a flag entirely. After all, even the nazi flag is legal to fly. So I don't understand where you're getting the impression that someone is trying to make it illegal to fly your racist flag. Some states are trying to get the official flags taken down, but as far as I'm aware that doesn't affect the right of individual citizens to display it. But it is worth noting that just because it's legal to do something doesn't mean you can't be validly criticized for it.

• i heard something about that. like some places aren't selling them anymore.
    i guess because some people are offended by it and think its racist. like wearing a swaztica (however you spell it)

• Yeah like now they want to try and redesign the state flags and everything when the blacks of today sure as hell where not slaves or anything like that my any means I just don't get it

• no, but they have family that were. and are still affected by racsism way too often.
      they (the government) are doing preventative maintance before things get wild and out of control i think.

• Maybe so but yet again we are supposed to be a free country on your property shouldn't matter in the south it is what it is

• You can fly it on your property but people don't want the state to fly it because it a representation of American segregation. Think of it like a swastika it's not really the most friendly message to other groups of people and you can personally wear one but I wouldn't want my state/country to condone hate groups

• I'm just saying the state has been like that for this long why all of a sudden change it now what the big deal hell they already threw a fit a few years ago about a college masscot that was there for ever and they changed it to something stupid and why I have no idea

• Yes I'm white what does that have to do with anything anyway and far as
      Slavery yes that
      Is wrong but a symbol. For something is a total different ball game

• No because a symbol for racism just shows you think racism is okay and things like segregation and slavery are direct results of of racism.
      Also I think the white thing says a lot because when white people typically have racially offensive symbols around they don't understand how it's offensive because they've never experienced having those same racially offensive symbols around.

• I agree with free speech. But you all did this to yourselves. You let them curtail your speech, then your right to unlawful search, next they will take more away. Just watch. Just like the Nazis.

Next you will lose the right to have guns. Then people will be arrested for what they think. It is coming.

• They
      Should not take anyone's. guns either we have the right to
      Dlefend ourselves

• Freedom FOR Security

• my keyboard and this website... Ugh! I type too fast and the letters get lost in the javascript...
      Ben Franklin Quotes. “They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” ”Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.” ”He who would trade liberty for some temporary security, deserves neither liberty nor security.”