Why do I get a static shock when I touch the doorknob in my office? Anyone experienced this?

How come my other colleagues never complain about this at all? I wonder if this is normal because I've been working at the same place for a year but this only happens to me recently. Are there some ways to avoid this from happening again?


0|0
5|10

Most Helpful Guy

  • Whatever type of shoes/socks/clothing you have is building up static electricity as it rubs against the carpet or your chair. So when you touch a metal object such as a doorknob electrons jump back and forth between you and the object, causing you to get shocked. Change your attire or shoes to a different type of lighter fabric.

    1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 9

  • If the floors are carpet and your shoes are a material that also conducts static electricity, then it makes sense that u get static shocked. :-P

    1|0
    0|0
  • I get that - Static electricity

    1|0
    0|0
  • It happens if you have shoes and walk on a carpeted floor. Try to wear plastic sandals or get rid of the carpet

    1|0
    0|0
  • Maybe because you are hot? 😜😜

    Well I don't know why... maybe your clothes generate static electricity or something...

    1|0
    0|0
    • LOL who knows? It's annoying and sonetimes scary. I hope it won't give me any bad effect soon.

  • Cause you are just Shockingly sexy thats why ;)

    1|0
    0|0
  • pick up your feet when you walk to avoid charging up

    1|0
    0|0
  • I never get a shock when I touch my knob... if someone else did it, I'd probably be a bit surprised

    1|0
    0|0
  • Of course everybody experienced it. Try different shoes

    0|0
    0|0
  • everybody's body is different. doorknob should get fired!

    0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

  • You are probably dragging your feet a bit too mucb. Dragging them on something like carpet can create these shocks. Also, if you sit in a chair with a certain type of material and slide your butt on it as you stand instead of just standing straight up. This is why they say you should touch your car before touching the gas pump after getting out of your car. That static electricity holds a charge on your body and can actually cause you to ignite the gas from the pump.

    1|0
    0|0
  • you have a super power...

    1|0
    0|0
  • You might have an electric personality!
    Seriously, it has to do with the soles of your shoes. If it bothers you try spraying Static Guard on them

    1|0
    0|0
  • Its your shoes. They isolate you from the ground and by friction of your clothes you build up a static charge. When you touch a grounded thing, you discharge. Leather soles?

    1|0
    0|0
  • I experience this a lot! Well I just basically ignored it lol

    1|0
    0|0
Loading...