How do you write “7”? With or without a dash in the middle?

Personally I write it without dash, since this is da official way (on yer computer keyboard it’s without for x-ample)

Never understood this dash thing o_O

• with dash
    46% (16)60% (12)51% (28)Vote
  • without dash
    54% (19)40% (8)49% (27)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
11|12

Most Helpful Guy

• Without. I think the first time I saw it with one was in fifth or sixth grade, when my math teacher did it. I never picked it up.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 11

• I almost always write it with a dash.

0|0
    0|0
  • I use the dash because I do it on my zs as well.

1|1
    0|0
  • If for some reason I write a "1" the same way it is on a keyboard and there's going to be a 7 next to or near it, then I'll add the dash to clarify that one is a 7.

0|0
    0|1
  • I write it with a dash! It should be written with a dash because 1 and 7 could be mistaken (if your handwriting is unclear) :D

0|0
    0|0
  • I add the dash to the seven and the zed. It's a French thing I guess.

0|1
    0|0
  • Mostly without the dash, sometimes with it

0|0
    0|0
  • I like to write in different ways everyday.. I don't even notice how I write anymore so I don't know..

0|0
    0|0
  • Wait
    Whaaaaaaat

0|0
    0|0
  • i inspired this question :) haha well, both, sometimes with a dash and sotimes without it :D

0|0
    0|0
  • Without the dash.

0|0
    0|0
  • I write it with a dash :DD

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 11

• Ever since I took German language classes in HS I have marked my 7s with a dash. The typographical purpose of the dash is to distinguish a numeral seven from a numeral one written with a flag.
    http://i.stack.imgur.com/i2Wh5.gif

0|0
    0|0
  • I always figured that the dash is added so that it can't be as easily overwritten to look like another number.

But that said, I'll almost always write it without.

0|0
    0|0
  • I write it with a dash, but i have a good reason. If i write a one like a straight line, it looks too much like an the letter "l", so i started writing the number one with a little hook on the top. But when i started doing that, nobody could tell my "1"s from my "7"s. My solution was to start writing "7"s with a dash.

0|0
    0|0
  • Unless you don't know how to write the number "1", there's no reason for the horizontal line on your "7"s.
    I wouldn't say it's the "official" way though, and being written that way on keyboards proves nothing - when have you ever seen anyone write a double-storey "a" like that?

0|0
    0|0
    • I write "a" just like it appears on keyboard actually... LOL
      Guess it's a matter of habbit

• I write with a dash - Don't know why just habit

0|1
    0|0
  • Without... it doesn't need a dash to differentiate it from another number... if it looks too much like a '1', write it better...

0|0
    0|0
  • With the dash

0|0
    0|0
  • With the dash in the middle. I do the same with the letter Z

0|0
    0|0
  • It depends on my mood.

0|0
    0|0
  • 1 as an I and 7 with the dash