Tips on being a good manager?

A little background first, I was promoted to manager today by my supervisor, and while I'm confident I can do the job and I certainly know the ins and outs of my work, I've never been in that position before and would appreciate some tips on how to be a good manager who gets tasks done and isn't a push over, but still is a good leader and respected by the other employees. Thanks in advance.

Most Helpful Guy

• Technically it's not something that is taught. You were promoted probably because you have the people skills required; all you need to do is honestly lead by example so when you say "I am" you must and when you say "You will" they must. If they refuse you are unable to bend and yield to them but at the same time you must know to treat them with kindness.

Those you are loyal to will be loyal to you.

• That's good advice, lead by example, and I think the reason my supervisor promoted me was because I am very experienced at my job, I can do any task that is needed and he thinks I would be a good choice to get things done, and he says he wants my dependability. I guess my question was how do I bring respect to people who I used to be buddies with, or guys who are older than I am, that's the part that is kind of intimidating. And also how do I approach situations where I may need to call out an employee for doing something wrong, or for not doing his job without being a prick or a push over, things like that, thanks, by the way.

• You'll do fine. You'd be surprised how your natural talent will do. Being nervous about it is the first step to bad management though; relax and let what happens happen. It's about adapting to the challenges you face and prevention not trying to control people or things all the time.

• You're right andI see what you are saying, your point about adapting to changes and prevention and not controlling the situation all the time is great, thanks for the good advice.

What Girls Said 3

• I once read an AMAZING book on management but since I wasn't interested in management I gave up reading it after a couple of pages. Go to your local library and ask for the management section - choose a bigger library which will have a wider selection of books. The books they show at the library are usually top notch because the average and inferior books do not make it to the shelves.

• Lead but don't forget that you are part of the team.

• Good for you

What Guys Said 4

• The best management style is to have high expectations and enforce them, however always provide the knowledge the employees need to meet those standards, you need to be prepared to answer any question an employee has, also crest an atmosphere that encourages questions and doesn't make your co workers feel embarrassed to ask. I work in the theme park industry, and my supe's do a great job of having open input, however they also expect everything to run smoothly and orderly, they will not hesitate to fire/ reprimand someone who cannot run a ride or deal with guests. But they provide more than enough input to avoid the problem in the first place, and I can go to them for any work related problem without fear of losing my job. That's what you should go for, providing all the knowledge for your co workers to perform their jobs, while enforcing high expectations

• Whatever you dont let the power get into your head. Show respect your your employees and they will respect you. Also dont be too pushy and bossy

• You're right, my old manager did that and I know how tense it can be around that sort of boss, Although it's mastering that middle ground between bossy and pushover is a bit tricky. For instance, I think I may be a bit too blunt if I see someone not doing their task or just goofing off on the job, I hear people say don't be too blunt, but I don't want to be wushu washy either, you know? How should I go abut confronting an employee who isn't doing what they're supposed to?

• The only reason I ask is there are a couple guys on the crew who are like that, and I feel I may need to deal with them at some point.

• when I have to approach a slacking employee I usually go up to the person and tell them to "pick up the pace" in a serious but respectful manner. I also like to give the person advice on how to do there job more comfortably or effectively

• Set high expectations.

• How do you mean?

• That makes sense, and I agree with you, it's just I wouldn't want to set goals so high the workers can't reach them. For the more experienced crew that seems like a good idea, however we are getting 6 new guys next week, so wouldn't it be wise to set more modest expectations for them until they get the hang of it?

• Give the new guys a few weeks

• Treat everyone equally.. do not show favoritism

• Oh yeah, I'd never play favorites, I had a manager before who did that and it was so annoying, thanks.

• Don't expect one person do carry more weight than anothee. Everyone should contribute the same effort to make the workload easier in the long run.

• I understand, that is a good thing to plan around, it's just we're getting 6 new guys in next week, and some of our older guys have left and there are only certain employees here that can do specific, more difficult tasks, and it will end up being that one guy may work one job quite a bit, while others may get thrown around between jobs until they get more experience. Of course that's with anything, I suppose I'll just have to explain to them that it's going to be that way for at least a little while.