Is the confederate flag racist?

So the confederate flag has been circulating in the news a lot lately after the shooting at the black in Charleston. I just want to know what the people of GaG think about the tragedy and the flag. That's all. Thanks. :)

• Yes, it is very racist.
  • I am neutral.
  • No, it's not racist.
the black church I mean.

Most Helpful Guy

• Considering it was on the side of the people who promoted slavery, then yes, It's racist.

What Guys Said 23

• A flag is a symbol, and a symbol holds the meaning of whatever the viewer (or more appropriately the meaning held by the majority opinion) feels it does. The swastika for example is a symbol for good luck, yet it is seem as an embodiment of hatred. While I personally find flying the flag with the knowledge of what that flag has been used as a symbol for to be offensive, I don't think the symbol itself is racist. It originally stood for a nation wide divide in states rights, and the historical context is something we should understand. But, the symbol has changed now to solely represent racism and support of slavery, so by that merit, I would say that the symbol today is racist.

• Racism has existed everywhere. However, the raison d'etre of the Confederacy was racism. Racism wasn't merely an incidental part of the Confederacy. So, yes, the Confederate flag is racist. It should be banned from all government buildings in America, though private citizens should be allowed to fly it.

• Undeniably.

This is taken from a speech made by the Vice President of the Confederate States weeks before the Civil War broke out. It's a well known speech called the Cornerstone Speech.

"Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner- stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

About a third of the speech was devoted to the topic of defending slavery, but that bit crystalizes it the best.

Some of the states that seceded issued documents citing the specific reasons for the secession. This site has some charts that show how often different reasons are cited in those documents.

www.civilwar.org/education/history/secession/

You'll see that slavery is by far the most cited reason for secession by a large margin, more than 50% of the claims, and much larger than State Rights.

The Confederate Flag was the official symbol of the Confederated States of America which was primarily founded in defense of the practice of slavery. As much as a symbol can be racist, this flag is racist.

• I think that the confederate flag must be understood within its historical context and that's all. What happened during the civil war made sense back then, it was part of the context of the 19th century, I don't think it's racist (I'm not American btw).

• Do they now plan to take it out ofallhistory books as if it never existed? What a load of donkey dumplings this country has become. There are more adult in need Ora dam diaper change than babies now a day

• I don't think it's racist but I do think it should be banned because it represents a defeated regime or government. Kind of like how the nazi flag is banned

• Well just look at it like this. The confederate flag was created after the southern states seceded from the union. The whole reason they seceded was because Abraham Lincoln was elected and was known for being against slavery. The southern states wanted to continue practicing slavery and they feared that Lincoln would abolish it. That being said, their entire existence was because they wanted to legally keep slaves. Now you can do the math and answer the question whether or not the Confederate Flag is racist or not.

• The Confederate States of America seceded from the United States of America, to maintain the institution of slavery. It wasn't the only reason, but is part of the equation.

That Confederate flag not only represents pro slavery (me being black I take this personal and very serious ),

but it is also disrespectful to the United States of America. Why would someone call themselves an American patriot yet flaunt the flag of the sub-nation that broke up our Union?

• Although it was not the only reason cited, it was more than simply part of the equation, it was the primary part of the equation and received vastly more attention from the confederates than any other reason they gave for secession.

And you're right. It's not only a flag of a racist nation, it's a flag representative of violent treason. If private citizens wish to be racist and express it, that's their right, but the flag of traitors doesn't belong on government buildings.

• It's the flag of a treasonous defeated people. It's flying shouldn't even be permitted despite the first amendment because it is aiding and abetting the enemy; continuing to fly it is a treasonous act as it incites treasonous behavior such as what it just did to help incite that 21-year old idiot douche who killed those nice folks in church.

• lmaoo this stupid ban thats being put in place is just amping up sales so NOW you will see more of them it won't go away good luck. its celebrating southern pride its the rebel flag nothing more... everything is made into a race war lately n it is B. S. plain n simple

• There's no ban because bans would be unlawful on First Amendment grounds. However, large scale vendors like Walmart and Amazon are no longer selling.

• The flag is a symbol. To some, it is racist. To others, It is just a symbol of Southern pride. If you actually study history, I don't personally see how the Union flag could be construed as any less racist than the Confederate. The Union was very racist and so was Lincoln. Read his fourth debate with Stephen A. Douglas at Charleston, Illinois, September 18, 1858.

The South only seems more racist nowadays because public education has failed to teach us history without bias. The south looks bad compared to the north because the economy was based on plantation labor, which was in stark contrast to the industrialized north. But make no mistake, the Union did not fight the Civil War to end slavery.

• It wasn't the sole reason butttt it was a major part of it

• The Confederate flag is just another flag to me. I'm not going to get bent out of shape about a inanimate object and the views that other people project onto it. I also think people need to start thinking before they act, because a flag, just like any other inanimate object, only has as much power over you, as you choose to give it.

• It has become associated with racist groups

• Yes, i don't like it...

• well, since it was not in every Confederate state until the civil war which they started because the Southern States heard a rumour that Lincoln was planning to ban Slavery. Also even if someone is a racist it is still shameful because it celebrates a war started via paranoia that caused the US the most civilian casualties it has ever had.

• I never saw a flag say racist slurs or racially profiling us

• It's a symbol, like a swastika

• No genius its a rebel flag for people from the south and the swastika is not bad because the budists or muslims used it as a symbol for peace *I forgot which of the two used it*

• The people who created the flag as a symbol of their rebellion were rebelling to preserve slavery. That's explicitly the purpose for which the confederation was formed.

The confederate flag was created for their purpose, unlike the swastika which existed before Nazis appropriated it. And make no mistake, the configuration used by the Nazis (black angular swastika at a 45 degree tilt, on a white circle in a red field) is never confused with the traditional svastika as a symbol of peace. They share similar shapes, but they are not the same symbol.

• yes, it is.

Read up on the Civil War and what the CSA stood for... im not even American, and I know your country better than you do.

• Everything is racist now.

• First, a military flag/battle flag does not equal a national flag.
    Second, the flag also means a heritage and a spirit of rebelling the over-control of the Federal Government and defending the States' Rights.

• The real question should be whether the confederate flag is more racist than the swastika.

• I dont even get how you can call it racist. its a flag

• Well, its manufacture has been, stopped since the incident

• The flag isn't but the meaning behind it is what makes it racist

• Neo nazis use it as a backup flag to the swastika

What Girls Said 8

• it's a flag basically saying " I think the wrong side won and Americans should still be able to own black people as slaves" so yeah anyone who flies that flag is racist scum... plus it's a fucking ugly flag anyway.

• It can be... Some people in the south are obviously still racist and they do use the flag ad a symbol to represent their "superiorty". But at the same time it's also a part of Americas history and is just as much as a symbol to the South and America as the Union flag is to the North and America.

Will taking it down stop racism? No, so what's the point.

• The flag isn't SUPPOSED to be racist. Southerns typically use it as a way to show off pride in their own heritage, most my family has confederate flags, as well as practically all my neighbors. HOWEVER we've had them since like, forever. The people who choose to misuse the flag are disgraceful and an embarrassment to the rest of us.

• And I would like to point out that the civil war did NOT start over slavery. In fact that wasn't even a part until a bit later INTO the war, and still was not a large part of the actual war.
      The civil war was about political disagreements, not racism or slavery. Sure the southerners were pissed that Lincoln was anti slavery, but as I stated above, it wasn't even a main reason for the war.

• Read the cornerstone speech and the articles of secession. Slavery was the primary cause of secession. The people who have told you that slavery was not the reason for the civil war are either deliberately lying to you, or are ashamed of the truth and are willfully ignoring it. The defense of slavery was extensively documented by the states that seceded at the time of their secession.

• @Dandeus

I believe I worded myself wrong, yes it had to do with slavery, but the war/secession was originally brought about by other reasons. My reason for pointing that out at all was due to others in other opinions thinking it was 100% about slavery, which simply was not the case

• the past is the past and it the losing side flag seems silly, we don't keep up other failed armies flags because they don't stand for what America stands for today, just like the Confederate flag

• It represents racial superiority in the southern history

• Nope, it's just from history. People are way too sensitive

• I believe that it is a symbol of racism and oppression. It has been used by the KKK and has become closely associated with racism and white supremacy.

• It's not racist at all! People just need to do a little bit more back ground and a little more history on the flag!