Which is more racist? Confederate flag or Swastika?

• Confederate Flag
  • Swastika
Isn't it interesting how the people who insist the confederate flag is not racist all seem so damn angry?

Most Helpful Girl

• In their purest form, the confederate flag actually. The swastika originated as a religious symbol, not at all associated with naziism, whereas the confederate flag originated as an explicitly racist symbol. That said, the context surrounding the swastika is far more racist than that surrounding the confederate flag. So looking at it today, the swastika, particularly when used explicitly in support of naziism is the more racist symbol.

• to further add to this.
      The 3rd reich swastika is tilted 30 degrees (and supposedly changed the color a bit). The hindu swastika is not (the lines go horisontally and vertically). The 3rd reich one is racist (and arguably also supports genocide), and the hindu one represents love and peace.

Most Helpful Guy

• Confederate flag. Swastika isn't seen as racist, but a s a symbol of antisemitism which is different from racism in that antisemitism is a discrimination of reliigion (jews specifically).

What Girls Said 11

• Everything seems racist these days. Or well people crying over everything being racist. lol

• You assume that nothing is racist so therefore you're a racist *sarcasm* lol xD

• Did some of you really just say that the symbol of the Nazi party, the party of Hitler, who invaded Poland, plunging all the nations into World War 2, and the leader responsible for the Holocaust is EQUAL to the flag that represented the southern states? What the hell is wrong with you? People like you who swear it's a racist symbol just because we also happened to have slavery are so ignorant it literally pains me. You realize we had the Civil War for a number of reasons right? The south stayed an agriculture based economy while the north plowed ahead of in industrially. We were fighting over how limited the federal government should be, and what power the state's should have. Also, there were parts of the south, namely South Carolina, who were attempting to secede, or leave, the United States altogether. Learn your history before you spout shit that the freaking SWASTIKA is equal to a flag representing regional places. Sheesh.

• Neither are racist. They are merely symbols that can mean different things to different people. What is racist is the people.

• Its not. Why don't u tell the Indians to stop using it? They created the symbol first..

• WTF? Got proof?

• Swaztika was used by the Indians because of their admiration for the Aryans light skinned people from the north (probably Bronze aged Afghans who compared to Indians were light brown and not as dark). The Aryans made the caste system and enslaved a lot of dark skinned Indians. Hitler I. E the considered himself an Aryan/Master Race even though Aryans look like Persian not Europeans. So he inverted the Swaztika 30degrees made some colors modifications and the Nazi Swaztika.

• The swastika did not originate from that use.
      The swastika (Sanskrit svastika, "all is well") is a cross with four arms of equal length, with the ends of each arm bent at a right angle

• The swastika in my opinion

• Equal. Any group that has approved any for of racism is equal in my eyes. Whether they killed a whole group of people or whether they've just approved racist comments. Both equal.

• Actually the swatstika and the Buddhist symbol are two different things. In fact that symbol is very common in other cultures that have existed before the nazi party. Many have actually gotten rid of the symbol due to the nazi party. It's only the nazi symbol when it has straighter thicker lines and when it's turned a certain way. The Buddhist symbol is backwards I believe and involves dots.
      And many people get that mixed up. It's like the cross it's actually in a lot of cultures

• The swatstika is a sign of Hindu peace, hurler just copied and flipped it. So wtf with the poll.

• Exactly! I think it's the Buddhist symbol for peace as well. So there you go.

• Maybe I think the swastika is worse because I'm Jewish, but I also don't know the history of the Confederate flag...

• Well the histories behind the two are different, but they both boil down to hate. So I don't know if one is more racist than the other. I'm sure in the US you would see more evidence of the Confederate flag whereas in Germany, it'd be the swastika.

• A swastika represents more if a religious prejudice, of you ask me. However, I would find a swastika more offensive

• I think their equal, but I know some retailers recently banning sells of confederate flags. or any products that has it on it.

• Did you really just say that the symbol of the nazi party, the party of Hitler, who invaded Poland, plunging all the nations into World War 2, and the leader responsible for the Holocaust is EQUAL to the flag that represented the southern states? What the hell is wrong with you? People like you who swear it's a racist symbol just because we also happened to have slavery are so ignorant it literally pains me. You realize we had the Civil War for a number of reasons right? The south stayed an agriculture based economy while the north plowed ahead of in industrially. We were fighting over how limited the federal government should be, and what power the state's should have. Also, there were parts of the south, namely South Carolina, who were attempting to succeed, or leave, the United States altogether. Learn your history before you spout shit that the freaking SWASTIKA is equal to a flag representing regional places. Sheesh.

What Guys Said 15

• At the moment the swastika but if disassociation doesn't happen the confederate flag will not be too far behind

• None :/ people need to read more...

• Neither nor. The Swastika symbolizes luck and the Confederate flag stands for the Confederate States of America.

None of them is related to racism. It's just uneducated people who decided to not pay attention in history class.

Thanks to those retards, both are stigmatized. Stupidity knows no boundaries !!!

• The Confederate flag. The Swastika is over 3000 years old, and was always known for being a symbol of peace.

The Confederate flag, however, represented the South's desire for "freedom" (aka to still fucking enslave Africans) since DAY ONE.

• People just don't understand what the real swastika means. Just look at the poll results, and the downvotes people that really know what the swastika means get.

• Neither is racist

• This was a really tough choice for me. Neither symbols are inherently racist in and of themselves though. Just some of the people who use both symbols were racists. The ancient sun worshipers or the black slaves fighting under the Confederate flag were not racists. Well, I don't know, some of them might have been. But still, doesn't mean they were ALL bad! Long live the Confederacy.

• The Confederate flag is not freaking racist. I don't know how many times I will have to tell people this.

• Would you like to explain why?

• All the Confederate flag represents today is southern pride. I am not a racist, but I would proudly wave both American and Confederate flags. It's just a symbol of the south.

Why do you think it's racist?

• shapes and cloth can not be racist waths up with the poll

• I hope everybody knows that the Swastika was originally a Japanese symbol for good luck.

• Both became a meme today. But yeah of course there are racist supporters for real.

• Swastikas are peace symbols in India. Hitler tilted it and made it his symbol. He perverted a symbol of peace into a symbol of racism and hatred. So in todays world, especially in Western countries, a swastika may be considered highly offensive and racist. The Confederate flag is not racist. The flag you're referring too is a battle flag of the old CSA. It never was supposed to symbolize racism or hatred. It has been perverted by neo nazi thugs and white supremacists but the flag has also become a symbol of rebellion, states rights, and the South. In the 1860s the North was just as racist as the South. Do we say the American (Union) flag from that time period is racist? They also both knew slavery was immoral. Southerners deemed slavery a "necessary evil" and fought for it because their entire economy depended on it. Some would say that the Turkish government and people are racist against the Kurds. But would they consider the Turkish flag racist? No. So my point is the flag is not racist. Some racist people fought under it. But the flag means so much more than what most people equate it with

• Well, according to someone on here, and even after I looked it up, the swastika didn't always mean something bad, so technically it would be the confederate flag. It always represented something bad, even today

• Thanks to the Nazi movement that symbol went from being one of positivity to one of evil. The confederate flag does too have a connection to slavery due to it being the war flag of confederate soldiers fighting the north to uphold the institution of slavery.

• Somebody just posted on FB a picture of a peanutbutter and jelly sandwich and said it was deemed racist.