Why is everyone against the confederate flag all of a sudden?

What is the reason? I don't support the confederate flag, but I think censoring it is a violation of the 1st amendment!

Most Helpful Girl

• I personally have always found the confederate flag dumb and kind I offensive. I don't know why we'd have a flag that represents treason against America as well as a nation that supports segregation and slavery. Also it's been widely accepted by the KkK and Neo-Nazi party so I'm not sure why we'd want to associate with it.
    And you can personally fly a confederate flag. I mean nazi groups have festivals all the time and legally can. But the state/nation is choosing to no longer support the use of the confederate flag and is deciding to stop making things that include the confederate flag

• It's southern heritage, not slavery. People like you who support censorship and restriction of the first amendment are why the world is the way it is.

• I'm not saying you can't have it but I don't see why the Us government would have a flag that represent a group tried to destroy America. If you want to have one that's completely fine but I don't really think the government should.
      Also if southern heritage is anti-Americanism then I don't really see how the south is all American

What Girls Said 6

• It's not an all of the sudden thing, it's just something's finally being done about it.

• Being done about free speech? Want to live in a communist dictatorship?

• You're really going to sit there with a straight face and say the flag stands for "treason"? I'm done here. You're so stupid it hurts me to read your posts.

• Jesus Christ people. No one's saying you (as an individual) can't fly the damn thing, they're just trying to stop government buildings from flying it.

• Because of one stupid idiot.

• i'm not really against it. i just don't give a crap about it

• All of a sudden? Open a history book and you'll understand why the flag is revolting and should be banished

• Free speech

• Even concepts like 'free speech' have limitations. Not because of rules or regulations but because of common frikken sense. Which obviously people lack

• That's why we have free speech, to defend unpopular ideas. Unless you want a communist state. Censorship is rampant in that case.

• I think it is stupid we should be able to fly whatever flag we want and most southern state flags have the Confederate flag in them but it all has to do with a man going into a black church and killing nine people and then posting a picture with a Confederate flag afterwards however u know when one idiot does something people get in an up roar and I live in the south and most of the time we fly them proudly with no judgement but because it was a white guy who killed black people now all the black people are telling racism of course but they always do and I just think it's all a big mess to be honest

• NO. It has nothing to do with the shooting case. That's being used as justification for a political agenda.

• Oh well I don't know then all I know is they should just let people have their own rights to chose if they want to buy one or not or fly one or not

What Guys Said 10

• It is the symbol thing again - The flag has been hijacked by unsavoury groups - I think a period of disassociation is needed.

• It has not been hijacked. The flag was explicitly created as a symbol of the states that seceded from the union to preserve slavery. It's been a sign of treason and racism since the day it was created.

• I hate to thumb you down, but it was a bad symbol from the start...

• Because everyone thinks it's a sign of slavery when in fact the civil war was not even remotely fought just for slavery it was mostly fought for trade, tariffs, state rights and land, slavery was a factor but not the sole cause of it, though it's all anybody can remember It is anybodies right to fly that flag if they want and it is a violation of the first amendment to restrict them from doing so, if that offends or hurts other people to bad.

• People are idiots. I agree that states should not be "proudly" displaying this symbol that represents (primarily) the right to own other people. That said, companies like Apple removing games that are based on the Civil War because they contain the Confederate (battle) flag, is just asinine. What ever happened to being able to make intelligent decisions? To plain, simple logic? It does not bode well for this country or the rest of the world that people with such limited capabilities are in positions of power.

• generally people go crazy against flags all of a sudden,... happened multiple times throughout history

• You do realize that the government isn't a person that has freedom of speech? Removing the flag from government buildings isn't an act of censorship because the government is doing it to itself. It's an act of civil policy.

And people have been against the flag for as long as its existed.

• The government shouldn't support any given ideals. It has nothing to do with the flag and everything to do with the government's involvement and support of the notions behind that flag.

• Nah they're just trying to start a race war so they'll be able to declare martial law and take away more of our freedoms.

• It is because, recently photos surfaced of the racist church shooter in charleston waving it and parading it. I believe it is a very bad flag and should be taken down

• what is the confederate flag? I don't bother to google it :D

• It's bullshit!!!

• If you don't support it then why would you defend it (right to freedom of expression)

• Because I'm not a communist.

• Communism has NOTHING to do with these things

• Communism is characterized by censorship and complete government control. 4th grade civics