What do you think about religion?

What do you think about religion?

Most Helpful Guy

• I think it provides a foundation for a successful society. Every successful society throughout history has been rotted and directed with a religion and deep belief in God. When we compare this to our contrary examples of societies built on atheism, we have North Korea, the Soviet Union, China (which holds the majority of the worlds atheists although declining). Religion forces one to re-evaluate individualism and strive for the community.

People always misunderstood what morality is... Christianity doesn't say that atheists don't have morals. In fact many of them can have morals, but this is because Chistianity believes everyone was made in Gods image with the moral law written on their hearts. Outside of that, there is only relativism which differs between one persons opinion to another with no objective standard of good. So atheists can be moral in the sense that they inherit it from God... they just can't justify it rationally from within their worldview.

There's this and the fact that if religion, specifically Christianity didn't exist. It's very unlikely that we'd have developed as we are or at all. There would be no basis for reason and logic and no reason to pursue science as a discpline if we don't believe in God.

Its fascinating that those that also consider it a "bad" thing do so on the supposed objective principle of truth that there apparently is an objective standard which is ironically inconsistent with their own worldview.

There's also the fact that if atheism is true... it undermines its own logic. As Dawkins put it, "We're nothing more than molecules in motion, dancing to the tune of our DNA", there is no such thing as free will. Actually any act of supposed condemnation (to no standard of application) would be completely justified and the act of killing is philosophically no different from splitting a grape fruit in half. In either case from a materialist worldview, in both cases it is simple rearranging the atoms of the universe, in both cases of no value or worth or meaning,

What Girls Said 6

• Religion (s) are powerful. It can unite and separate people. Religion can provide a guiding purpose in life, a sense of shared identity, and a supportive and caring social group. All of these things can be beneficial to people's pychological well-being. However, religion can also be a negative force especially when it's teachings make people isolate their selves to others who are outside their religion. It brings negativity when they start to mold people into becoming close-minded self-righteous individuals.

• I'm an atheist so I guess I do have a religion. But I really think religion is a waste of time. I just don't see the difference between a bible and a magic tree house book.

• Atheism is not a religion, just like how not-collecting-stamps isn't a hobby.

• @Mesonfielde well it's the lack of belief in a diete (s). It's typically classified as one. Guess i was wrong.

• That's because it is classified by people who don't understand the idea of not having a religion. I guess it would make more sense to call it "having no religion" instead of "atheism". This is why I use the term irreligious instead.

• It exists. I don't believe in one. It's cool if other people do.

• I like it too.
    Guide to life so as long as you dont go extreme.

• I like spirituality more

• I think religion is a important part of life. I also believe that all religions should learn to coexist that includes atheists as well

• I mentioned they need to learn to coexist with all religions. No need to get snarky

What Guys Said 16

• I believe in hope, because its the only thing i completely trust, its really just about chance.

Religion makes people comfortable with their obsession with death and dying. As an atheist I have more of a reason to live than any christian or Jew, or even Muslim. When any of these guys cease to exist, its either Heaven or Hell (Jews do not have a hell ^^). As for people like me, this is it. One life, one chance, and that's it, nothing else. So there'd be more of a reason to do good, and try to live in some kind of harmony or solidarity because eventually no one will even remember you.

-_- yet if you really want to see what "good" religion has done look no further than to the history books. All the really sick, and sadistic actions that have ever been done to other human beings is either because of religion or racism. Money doesn't drive the sick one's... faith does, and someone trying to kill you based on faith is a complete psycho, Dylan Roof, Timothy McVeigh, Al Qaeda, ISIS, Adolf Eichmann, that Haitian dude, Rwanda, Apartheid South Africa, the KKK etc etc. , all based in faith and complete nonsense.

• I detest it. It is, along with the type of modern insane capitalism we have since the 1980s the thing in the world that caused by far the most misery. There is absolutely NO war, no instance of extreme poverty, no racism, no violation of human rights etc. that can't be tracked back to one of these two things. Without religion and instead a tad more rational and mature thinking, the world would be an almost unimaginably better and more peaceful place.

• I am irreligious, and I think it is sad how there are people who think the only way your life is valuable and has any type of worth is if there is some floating bearded guy who will tell you if you did things right or bad, and hopefully paid ridiculous sums of cash to your local church. That is what God wants, after all, right?

• It can be a very good and very beautiful thing if one knows their faith and how to apply it properly in their life. Unfortunately, a lot of people don't.

• When Mankind began living in society, it provided ancient societies with the first laws, judges, health guidelines and help, shrinks. The first social security too.

As such it was an essential element in the development of civilization.

• I think it has a place, it's sciences job to explain HOW things happen and religions job to explain WHY. It also offers solace and comfort, and can open doors in a persons mind that is not available from any other source.

• You are one of the few people I have heard that can make the distinction between the questions of how and why. Science and religion answer different questions. Thank you!

• @editor You are welcome

• religion is stupid.

• I am non religious but I live and let live

• Ι don't like it. Regardless of what religion we are talking about.
    And it has nothing to do with my or anyone else's believe in some kind of God.

• I'm over it. Just can't even stand hearing about it anymore.

• Its exists and whether its christian hindu or muslim everbody should respect their own and the other ones too :)

• I support it.

• I can only be thankful that I was raised in a house where religion mattered.

• I think it is cancerous.

• I think it's more trouble than it's worth. The scripture followed as the divine word of god and so often used to justify violence was basically just written by some bloke, probably in his underpants, smoking some good shit (considering it's all talking snakes, parting oceans and prophets). We shouldn't have to look to religion for a moral compass, if that's it's validation in the world then we're all fucked.

• It has served its purpose well in years of the past. It's a bit outdated now.