How do Scientists make money?

I'm hoping to get into biology when I'm older and study predatory animals (Specifically birds of prey and big cats). But I've always been wondering how those people make their money.

Most Helpful Guy

• Okay. I was a Molecular Biologist. Here are the general places you get money:
    1: academic research. You survive on grants and teaching at a colleg. You have to do research
    2) Sales for a biotech/drug/ or Scientific company (pays well)
    3) Private sector. Pharma pays the best, but Biotechs and scientific companies
    4) Government (NSF/CDC/NIH) pay is lousey but ok
    5) Get an ancillary degree (law, medicine) private sec
    6) Ad agencies (Scientific writing, account management, other things) pays well
    8) defense contractors/cia - you might not like what you are doing but they love biologists

• I understand that the government and companies give you grants for research and all that, but does what you're researching have to be something new that no one else has done? And what about money just for yourself like for food and clothes and stuff?

• So the company pays you money needed for the researchers and materials, and the university pays you for yourself?

• no, most grants com from the NIH. NOT companies. But yes. And for that you need to conduct research and teach and get grants

What Girls Said 3

• They get grants for their research and many are professors/lecturers alongside their research, so they get an annual salary from the academic institution that they work at. Or if they work in industry, they'll just get a salary from the organisation they work for. It varies.

• If they work at a university, they get grants for research and draw a salary for teaching classes. There are some strict research institutions, but unless you work for a zoo, you'll be relying on grants almost exclusively for your income. I think.

• Well they earn A LOT of money

• Scientists do NOT earn a LOT of money.

• If you go to www.Salary.com you can see the pay of different professions at different levels.

What Guys Said 10

• I find pay for scientists to be incredibly interesting. Some of these people develop new vaccines and medical science saves lives everyday but the weird thing is they don't make that much. The company or group that funds their research makes the money. I think it's kind of jacked up that brilliant minds who could probably outsmart the businessmen they work for make less. I mean they do very well depending on the field it's just interesting to me.

The celebrity scientists who write books and go on TV programs make bank though.

• You could always write a book and make your money off of book sales and royalties. Better yet, write a textbook and have schools buy your book in bulk, for years.

• Once you establish your research and what you aim to accomplish, people usually give out grants towards your research in hopes to better science. You'll have a salary from whatever organization you end up working for anyway.

• Getting scientific articles published, grants from the government and corporations. Hired by companies for research purposes.

Though getting their research articles published brings the most recognition, which often results in the most corrupted 'research' done for the sake of appeasing the public and preventing themselves from looking like 'quacks.'

• I would say with grants

• They get grants from the government mostly, which is why all mainstream science has to follow a certain narrative. If you make a groundbreaking discovery that goes against that narrative, you will be ostracized and blacklisted and never find work again.

• Lmao they have salaries

• Grants and aids... bbut I'm sure if they work for the government they get a federal paycheck

• By having a salary from the company you work for...-_-

• Two ways:

employment by a university (you need a research university, and you do NOT want to teach, you'll get pegged as inferior).

employment by a commercial research firm (ie, research conducted to generate profit).

The money for both comes from grants and/or donations, etc.