Anti-Uber Taxi Protests. Should Uber be banned?

I think uber should be banned everywhere.

French taxi drivers are on strike throughout the country to protest against UberPOP
In Paris, the cabbies blocked access to motorway exits, airports and railway stations. Some drivers vandalized several Uber cars, even flipping some over, and police were forced to intervene, arresting three cab drivers, according to police officials.

What do you think?

Updates:
also* Uber's "low-cost" UberPop service has been banned in Germany after a court decided it violated transport laws.

0|0
1|8

Most Helpful Guy

• Uber should be banned - Taxis are already on their knees as it is.

0|1
    0|1

What Girls Said 1

• To tell the truth, I don`t understand why there is so much noise about Uber while there are many other taxi services like kiwitaxi or intltaxi available all over the world. When I was on a business trip to Barcelona I booked a taxi online. It was a smooth driving;)

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 7

• You can't ban a company from operating just because it provides a better service and out-competes other pre-existing companies (particularly ones that have made no attempt whatsoever to modernize) - you'd have to ban all the supermarkets, online retailers, etc as well.

The French have just always been ridiculously protectionist, including when it comes to their taxi drivers. For example, Geneva airport straddles the Swiss/French border. If a business wants to collect clients (for example, a ski chalet collecting guests) from the Swiss side, it's not a problem. If they want to collect clients from the French side, the driver *must* be a registered French taxi driver - and it's purely to protect the interests of the overpriced French taxi drivers.

0|0
    0|0
    • , in Germany the issue is mostly that Uber drivers and their cars don't follow certain regulations which regular taxi companies and drivers have to follow. For example an extra type of license ("Führerschein zur Fahrgastbeförderung", engl. "drivers license for the transport of persons") is necessary if you want to drive a taxi or a bus etc. This license has to be renewed every few years and has extra requirements compared to regular licenses etc. Private Uber drivers probably don't have that license in most cases.
      Another point is regarding the cars themselves. German taxi cars have to follow some special regulations compared to private cars. For example taximeter has to be "legally calibrated" (so-called "Eichung") every few years, the car itself has to get a checkup every 12 months (compared to 24 months for private cars which are older than three years).
      These are things which make the Uber-transportation cheaper, because Uber doesn't have the same expenses a regular taxi company ha

• taxi company has thus making Uber-transporations "unlawfully" cheaper and thus violating certain laws of competition.
      I guess there are more things, but these are the few I have in mind right now and among other things reasons why courts in different cities and German states have banned Uber.

• Now you're talking about something totally different - you can't ban something that's already illegal.
      If Uber (or their drivers) are breaking the law, then obviously they should be prosecuted the same as anyone else would be - but in most countries, the way they operate is perfectly legal, and there's absolutely no reason to ban them. Uber are not unlawfully cheap - other taxi companies are unethically overpriced, and provide a poorer service as well, which is why they're losing business. They should just form their own cooperative to offer the same service, and start charging reasonable fares (and in the case of London cabbies, stop driving crappy cars that only manage 25 miles per gallon).

• Uber Taxi is known violator of regulations. Should be banned as soon as possible. I mean these guys clearly do not have any regard for anything other than their own profits. The services have constantly been proved to be unsafe for women also.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't think rideshare should be banned in San Francisco... Before there were any rideshare companies the taxis drivers mostly had a holier than thou attitude. Now they're just grumpy...

0|0
    0|0
  • How did a discussion over transportation preferences get so political

0|0
    0|0
  • I have no idea what uberpop is

0|0
    0|0
  • Banned for what?

0|0
    0|0
    • , in Germany the issue is mostly that Uber drivers and their cars don't follow certain regulations which regular taxi companies and drivers have to follow. For example an extra type of license ("Führerschein zur Fahrgastbeförderung", engl. "drivers license for the transport of persons") is necessary if you want to drive a taxi or a bus etc. This license has to be renewed every few years and has extra requirements compared to regular licenses etc. Private Uber drivers probably don't have that license in most cases.
      Another point is regarding the cars themselves. German taxi cars have to follow some special regulations compared to private cars. For example taximeter has to be "legally calibrated" (so-called "Eichung") every few years, the car itself has to get a checkup every 12 months (compared to 24 months for private cars which are older than three years).
      These are things which make the Uber-transportation cheaper, because Uber doesn't have the same expenses a regular taxi company ha

• taxi company has thus making Uber-transporations "unlawfully" cheaper and thus violating certain laws of competition.
      I guess there are more things, but these are the few I have in mind right now and among other things reasons why courts in different cities and German states have banned Uber.

• It's not ubers fault taxis suck at what they do. Uber is better in practically every way and that's why only a few people still use taxis.

0|0
    0|0