Is happiness really a choice?

Just was looking at a picture on Instagram of this girl (celeb) that was in a bikini on s boat because she's on a cruise right now. Her caption was happiness is a choice. But isn't happiness a feeling, not something you choose? So which is it so you think and why?

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a bit of both

What Girls Said 3

• You can build long term happiness but sometimes short term happiness is out of your hands however in God - you can have happiness or joy in almost any situation.

• There's always ups and downs in one's life. You can choose to take the good and make the most out of it, to enjoy life to the fullest. Or, you can dwell on the sadness and miseries. For me, I personally feel that happiness is a choice, you can either choose to be happy, or sad. It's your choice.

• Happiness is the consequence of the choices of me and those around me.
    -Zell

What Guys Said 6

• I think it is a choice. I'm pretty lonely most of the time yet I choose to be happy abouth what I do have, instead of mopping about it all.

• I would say happiness is a feeling to say it is a choice is presumptious.

• Happiness is everybody's default state and if you're not happy it's because somebody took it away from you and they have to be punished.

• It's a bit of both I suppose

• If someone is very happy it's easy to say: "look at me, i'm happy and it's not hard at all!". But in reality I don't think you can just choose to be happy.

• Feelings are normally caused by your reaction to something, and you choose how you react by what your views are. This is what gives the saying some ground however it's not a choice in every situation.